Spaceship Earth Update

benji

:sohappy: I would love to see some changes made to Spaceship Earth. I hope it will look as great as Gran Fiesta does. It's good to see Disney keep the over all ride experience, but add some new special effects for the new generation of Disney fans. After all it is one of the great classic Disney dark ride attractions.

RobGraves

actually if you read closely... more may be revealed than you think in that release..

obviously it seems the communications theme is gone, which is not surprising and is welcome since it is being replaced with an overall theme of progress and looking forward. In many ways it is a homage to horizons it seems...

and part of me wonders if a major change to 360 top is hinted at in there... all i can say is that if it improves it, and brings the futurism back to EPCOT Center, then i am all for it.

WhyteAL

Sweet!!!!!!!! I love it.

It really is about time SSE needed the upgrade. :)

Now for those of you trippin' there are plenty of other things to do at both Epcot and MK. Relax if it really is your fav of rides then to bad. But as a shareholder of the DIS I am definetly for the refurbs.

List of Epcot rides open during this time:
Nemo and Friends
Soarin
Living with the land
Imagination institute
Honey I shrunk the Audience
UOE
M:S
TT
Mexico's small world
Norway
American Adventure

&

not to mention all other activities, shows, dining and countries to visit.

I think Epcot is more than prepared to close SSE temp.

and the same goes for MK :cool:

Slowjack

actually if you read closely... more may be revealed than you think in that release..

obviously it seems the communications theme is gone, which is not surprising and is welcome since it is being replaced with an overall theme of progress and looking forward. In many ways it is a homage to horizons it seems...

and part of me wonders if a major change to 360 top is hinted at in there... all i can say is that if it improves it, and brings the futurism back to EPCOT Center, then i am all for it.
Yeah, I'm reading this the same way. I'm really excited about this. I agree, let's see that sense of hopeful futurism again. It really sounds like a great update from the little information given.

That said, I'd gladly trade away interactive screens on the cars for some cushions on the seat backs...:)

napnet

I hope and wonder if this rehab will include a track upgrade... SSE seems to have gotten nosier through the years.

EpcotMark

One thing that puzzles me -- it will be closed on the 25th anniversary date (Oct 1)? Doesn't that seem odd to anyone? I mean granted, they've said no official celebration, etc, blah blah blah -- but wouldn't one think they'd at least have the park's "theme center" (to snatch a term from the old world's fairs) open on that particular day?

I COULDNT AGREE MORE!

Also the press release said new narration and new musical score!
AGGRRHH!!!:fork: (especially the score part.)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
No, not till July.

Some folks I talked to said they heard June, so who knows?

We'll have to wait and see.. it'll probably be official around when the November park hours come out. (Remember the HM rehab didn't show up entil it's full dates were available on the calendar).

WhyteAL

I really think that I will become an AP next year this will be fantastic!!!!!

I already posted but am so happy I think I'm gonna breakdance...........................................................................................
......................................................................................................................
(a couple windmills,a backspin, and the worm later)

Whoa Ha!

I can't wait.....:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree, it`s balmy the symbol of the park will be closed for its 25th (does this show the contempt or ignorance for the meaning of October 1st I wonder) - but I`m very happy the refurb is a)happening and b)apparently so thorough.

Bets on WoL taking some of the strain off capacity?

ROEFan88

I'm thrilled that one of my favourite rides is getting (what sounds like) a great update. And as for people's disappointment that it will be closed for October 1st, there's one thing that die-hard Epcot fans (myself included) must face up to - Disney has claimed that there is no great celebration planned, and there's a good chance they were serious. As much as I'd love to see them acknowledge this landmark, it wouldn't surprise me if they treated it as just another day.

Personally, I think I'm willing to overlook this 25th business in favour of the view that the great icon of Epcot will have some of its glory restored.

And you never know, they MAY WELL take down the wand! :rolleyes: This news certainly adds fuel to the flames!

CTXRover

This is fantastic news and something everyone has been saying Disney needs to do. It is so frustrating....complain when they don't update, complain when they do update, complain when a certain attraction is closed during MY vacation......it is incredibly frustrating. Refurbs need to be done, I don't think anyone would argue with that. Major refurbs need the rides to be closed or the work would take years to complete. Not everything can or should wait during the offseason. It costs as much to enter the parks during the off-season as it does during the summer, even though hotel rates are higher.

This is incredibly exciting news in my opinion and appears to be credible so I will comment on it. It sounds like WDW is getting another major upgrade/refurb of a major attraction...one that may alter the focus of Spaceship Earth to an overall vision of progress and glimpse into the future, a perfect fit as the park's central attraction vs one focused solely on the history of communication.

I'm very exicted....updated lighting, sets, NEW sets, and INTERACTIVE SCREENS ON THE TIME MACHINES indicating some type of upgrade to the ride vehicles all while keeping the attraction in its original form (in that it won't be gutted to be a thrill attraction through a light show...)

With this, I can't see why Disney wouldn't celebrate Epcot's 25th. In the past 2-3 years, more has been done to ready the park for this milestone then ever was done for DL's 50th. Put some banners up around the park, consider a new ending to Illuminations and they have it set. Doing the refurb now insures that it won't be closed during its 25th anniversary 'year', even if it is closed October 1st.

Chickapin Chick

This really is fabulous news. SSE needs some serious TLC. However, I am a bit concerned about the new score. I think the current one is beautiful - I just listened to it in its entirety while I was running on the treadmill last night. Additionally, I will be devastated if Jeremy Irons is replaced as the narrator.

If I can be selfish for a moment, I am petrified that SSE will be closed for my visit. I arrive right around mid-November, so I hope it will be open. SSE symbolizes WDW for me, and my trip just won't feel the same with out it. Does anyone know if the dates will be more specific in the coming weeks?

Lee

Adventurer
Nice.
When asked yesterday, I said it would be "soon".
Didn't know how soon. Last info I had (month or so old) told me it would likely be after the bulk of the summer. Guess not......

DisneyDellsDude

Excellent!!!!! Seems like they're going all out for this update.
I can't wait!

And yeah, the hidden mickey is on the desk. I don't know what's on his face.:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom