News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I believe I remember someone here saying the bypasses are temporary. It would be nice if they weren’t though

The West side won't need a bypass... no Communicore building forcing you to go to the center of the spine's hub. As you enter, you can turn sharply right for the Water Park leading to the seas, or go slightly right to The Land and the new Starbucks, or go forward to Walt/Tree/Festival Center.

DreamfinderGuy

The West side won't need a bypass... no Communicore building forcing you to go to the center of the spine's hub. As you enter, you can turn sharply right for the Water Park leading to the seas, or go slightly right to The Land and the new Starbucks, or go forward to Walt/Tree/Festival Center.
It’s worth noting that you were able to cut through both CommuniCores when they were still operating without having to use the breezeways. The same was even true for Innoventions East up until 2016.

jt04

So this is a new BG system then? Not the current BG system?

How does having a BG system for premier rides before noon spread crowds out more than just having FPs and stand-by all day? I must be missing something.

You have everyone arriving before park opening to try and ride one of these premier rides, who then have to stick around waiting for their BG so swelling numbers at the park. These will be guests who were unable to get an FP for these premier rides, or who got one but want to ride one of the others.

Whose experience is being enhanced, and in what way? Compared to just having FPs and stand-by, it’s adding extra guests.

Those who don’t get a BG will then be hanging about ride entrances in order to get into the stand-by queue. Imagine the chaos as the time ticks over from 11:59 to noon and hundreds of guests all charge towards the stand-by line, just like rope drop all over again. Only with other guests getting caught up in a free-for-all scramble.

I think you would end up with an early morning wave of guest's highly motivated to ride the newer premiere rides. These would be families who like to arrive early and leave around lunch.

The midmorning wave of guests who like to sleep in and stay in the parks until they get tired. Mostly APs and frequent visitors who rely on fast passes.

Day guests would likely be split between early arrivals and later arrival fairly evenly. Each able to choose between BGs or standard FPs. Giving guests options is good customer service.

Of course these are overarching generalizations and there are no perfect solutions but giving people options is, again, good customer service.

They can test these ideas at a single park and I am sure they have a lot of data from RotR. So far boarding groups seem more popular than not. IMO.

Chicagoshannon2

Everything you ever wanted to know about SSE, and then some, including full ride through videos of all 4 versions (versions 2 and 3 are the best, IMO), courtesy of @marni1971. Enjoy!

Just watched the first 2 videos. 1994 is definitely my favorite. It's the one I remember the best. What struck me though was the short refurb time. Between version 1 and 2 it was only closed 4 days and only 2 months between version 2 and 3!!

SoFloMagic

I think you would end up with an early morning wave of guest's highly motivated to ride the newer premiere rides. These would be families who like to arrive early and leave around lunch.

The midmorning wave of guests who like to sleep in and stay in the parks until they get tired. Mostly APs and frequent visitors who rely on fast passes.

Day guests would likely be split between early arrivals and later arrival fairly evenly. Each able to choose between BGs or standard FPs. Giving guests options is good customer service.

Of course these are overarching generalizations and there are no perfect solutions but giving people options is, again, good customer service.

They can test these ideas at a single park and I am sure they have a lot of data from RotR. So far boarding groups seem more popular than not. IMO.
Theyre popular vs 4 hr waits on a ride that breaks down hourly...
That doesn't mean that rides with little-to-no breakdowns and manageable lines need bgs

jt04

Theyre popular vs 4 hr waits on a ride that breaks down hourly...
That doesn't mean that rides with little-to-no breakdowns and manageable lines need bgs

We will have to agree to disagree. The trend lines show more people visit the resort year over year. Though different factors impact growth rates, the fact is there will need to be changes to accommodate more and more guests. More attractions is one strategy but like adding lands to highways, generally you just produce more demand. I think boarding groups can be part of the solution. Your are welcome to add your own ideas. But perhaps it you start a thread in Imagineering it would be best for all.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It is important to ensure a rewarding guest experience. BGs have proven popular especially before it got overwhelmed. Incentivizing (sp?) early arrivals spreads out crowds especially if offered at multiple parks for multiple attractions. Again enhancing the guest experience. Remember, you don't have to participate in the BG system. All other attractions will have FP and/or standby. Strategy will be part of the fun.
JT - I defend you more than anybody here. If you could calculate all your “likes”, I’d bet half of them are from me ... but this, this is nonsense talk.

BG’s are a temporary stop gap measure, NOT a permanent solution. Personally, I hope none are in play during our upcoming annual September trip.

I think (hope?) you’re just trying to be provocative, or maybe pulling our collective leg. 🤷🏼‍♀️

jt04

JT - I defend you more than anybody here. If you could calculate all your “likes”, I’d bet half of them are from me ... but this, this is nonsense talk.

BG’s are a temporary stop gap measure, NOT a permanent solution. Personally, I hope none are in play during our upcoming annual September trip.

I think (hope?) you’re just trying to be provocative, or maybe pulling our collective leg. 🤷🏼‍♀️

They are essentially a form of fast pass but every guest is on equal footing. Whether a WDW veteran like Spirit, or an AP holder or a rookie day guest, everyone has a chance to access their "must see" ride. It doesn't need to replace any of the current programs. It actually would compliment them by filling up more queues earlier and burning off some demand. Just my opinion. I have no influence one way or the other.

PS- plus I'm being a bit provocative to generate ideas from others. 😉

Thanks for all the 👍

DoleWhipDrea

The parks need to be open longer and most are in desperate need of more attractions to effectively distribute crowds. Unfortunately, Disney World operates on shorter hours and either cuts or replaces attractions while rarely adding them. Demand for these parks will not decline, of course - Disney is Disney. Economists are pointing at many red flags, though...if things continue the way they’re going right now, they’re saying we might be heading into a depression.

The incessant need to pre-plan your entire trip hour by hour is exhausting. A vacation should be fun and, uh, relaxing. Forcing everyone to queue up outside of a park hours before it opens is problematic.

RotR needs BGs because it’s prone to so many issues mixed with its limited capacity. Since Disney chose to open it in its current condition, BGs are the best option over guests queuing up for several hours to only have the ride break down and empty out the queue. It’s the best option out of a bad situation, but it shouldn’t have been an issue in the first place.

Thankfully, Spaceship Earth is a high capacity attraction that is reliable in operation. It doesn’t need BGs. If Disney re-opened it with them, it would absolutely have a detrimental effect on crowd distribution. There’s a reason why MMRR isn’t opening with BGs.

IMHO, I don’t think they should change the layout of the entrance and exit. Definitely re-do the track (it really needs it) and give us some fresh effects. I just don’t want to see this ride get the treatment that Journey Into Imagination got with budgets being too tight. That would be a real travesty.

How the heck could HarmoniUS be blowing through all of the budgets like that? I could see it going overbudget, but not to the point that it eats up the entirety of the budget for the EPCOT overhaul...

nickys

Premium Member

So do people have to choose between BGs and FPs. I thought after noon it was back to normal?

And actually a lot of offsite guests roll up mid morning. That’s probably the vast majority of new and infrequent guests, they won’t bet the gates 30 minutes before opening. A lot of regular visitors do rope drop and head back before the wave of guests arrive mid morning. So much for your over-arching generalisations!

In other words, your surmising about how people visit the parks is somewhat flawed.

Boarding groups are popular right now because it is the best way given the alternative was a very long physical queue. However only those on Forums like this know enough about them to know that they can be finished in minutes, so have little chance of riding it.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
They are essentially a form of fast pass but every guest is on equal footing. Whether a WDW veteran like Spirit, or an AP holder or a rookie day guest, everyone has a chance to access their "must see" ride. It doesn't need to replace any of the current programs. It actually would compliment them by filling up more queues earlier and burning off some demand. Just my opinion. I have no influence one way or the other.

PS- plus I'm being a bit provocative to generate ideas from others. 😉

Thanks for all the 👍

The rookies don’t have an equal chance. Simply because they may be told the process on a flyer at their resort if staying onsite, but what they don’t know is that some days all BGs are gone in 1 minute. Yep, sixty seconds.

jt04

So do people have to choose between BGs and FPs. I thought after noon it was back to normal?

And actually a lot of offsite guests roll up mid morning. That’s probably the vast majority of new and infrequent guests, they won’t bet the gates 30 minutes before opening. A lot of regular visitors do rope drop and head back before the wave of guests arrive mid morning. So much for your over-arching generalisations!

In other words, your surmising about how people visit the parks is somewhat flawed.

Boarding groups are popular right now because it is the best way given the alternative was a very long physical queue. However only those on Forums like this know enough about them to know that they can be finished in minutes, so have little chance of riding it.

If you are willing to show up before rope drop you can participate even if you have FPs for later in the day. The only adjustment is that FP and FP+ would be limited before noon. But standby would be more available before noon for attractions not using the BGs. Simple.

jt04

The rookies don’t have an equal chance. Simply because they may be told the process on a flyer at their resort if staying onsite, but what they don’t know is that some days all BGs are gone in 1 minute. Yep, sixty seconds.

The reason BGs go so fast is they are only offered on one attraction that also is the most popular.

If you spread the demand over all parks and several attractions or offerings per park and only allow guests to choose one they will last much longer before being "sold out". Including for Rise. (Although these will always go the quickest the standby and FP option will be available after noon for those willing to wait and chance it)

Park Ops can tweak what is available per attraction but also the number of attractions per park depending on seasonal demand. Ensuring everyone "wins" something. Even newbies who don't know much about FPs etc.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

The reason BGs go so fast is they are only offered on one attraction that also is the most popular.

If you spread the demand over all parks and several attractions or offerings per park and only allow guests to choose one they will last much longer before being "sold out". Including for Rise. (Although these will always go the quickest the standby and FP option will be available after noon for those willing to wait and chance it)

Park Ops can tweak what is available per attraction but also the number of attractions per park depending on seasonal demand. Ensuring everyone "wins" something. Even newbies who don't know much about FPs etc.
Yeah let's add more stress to a vacation... ugh

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom