News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Even with all the other nonsense being posted by JT, I’m still trying to figure out what is so complex about SSE’s ride system. It’s an omnimover. The same system has been used one or two other places. Now if you were trying to say the physical environment inside SSE makes track replacement challenging, that would be true. But that’s not what you posted.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't think I have suggested any guarantees but rather my opinion of what I think will happen. The 50th and associated new attractions will stress the system. IMO BGs implemented on a wider scale may be implemented as a part of the solution. Time will tell if my subjective opinion is right or wrong. You are free to have your own opinion. At least when you are in the States. 😊

Ummm

I'll remind you when BGs (or something very similar) are implemented at WDW.

That sounds pretty definitive to me. 😉

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is every thread going to devolve into a BG debate? Here's your BG discussion thread.

This thread is SSE.

Goofyernmost

Working on SSE’s track (or anything inside of the geodesic sphere, for that matter) will be a challenge simply due to the limited access of getting things in and out. Omnimovers aren’t new to Disney. But perhaps the incline and decline of the track probably makes it a little more complicated.
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. They have at least one core elevator, I believe and almost all that stuff was put in there after the building was completely covered so they must have had a workable way to get the stuff in there.

nickys

Premium Member
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. They have at least one core elevator, I believe and almost all that stuff was put in there after the building was completely covered so they must have had a workable way to get the stuff in there.

This is what Martin had to say about it:

SSE in particular has a unique set of problems for refurbs. It’s landlocked by an open park (even with half a pathway closed for off peak works access) plus anything coming in and out only has one elevator, two sets of stairs or the ride tunnels to use. There’s no loading bay “around the back”.

Add to that it’s not the easiest or quickest ride to remove ride vehicles from, let alone all of them for a new track.

Thelazer

Even with all the other nonsense being posted by JT, I’m still trying to figure out what is so complex about SSE’s ride system. It’s an omnimover. The same system has been used one or two other places. Now if you were trying to say the physical environment inside SSE makes track replacement challenging, that would be true. But that’s not what you posted.

Quite likely the control and motor system.. not just the track is a little unique and perhaps not much spare parts left.
Assuming each motor weighs a hefty bit, and you have to replace them one by one.. and you have to take all the cars out in order to do that... nightmare would be the word for it. Watch the "backstage tour" video from 1984(85??) on you tube and you'll see what I mean.

trainplane3

Quite likely the control and motor system.. not just the track is a little unique and perhaps not much spare parts left.
Assuming each motor weighs a hefty bit, and you have to replace them one by one.. and you have to take all the cars out in order to do that... nightmare would be the word for it. Watch the "backstage tour" video from 1984(85??) on you tube and you'll see what I mean.
I think it was mentioned some where on here it would take about 3 weeks to remove all cars from SSE. It'd be a pain in the...

Could be my brain malfunctioning so someone please correct if wrong.

Goofyernmost

I think it was mentioned some where on here it would take about 3 weeks to remove all cars from SSE. It'd be a pain in the...

Could be my brain malfunctioning so someone please correct if wrong.
You may be right about how long it will take to remove the cars, however, let's keep it in perspective. They are talking about two to three years to do this. That's 156 weeks, so three weeks to remove and three weeks to return leave them with 150 weeks (plus they probably can do that while other things are happening inside) to complete whatever else they have to do. Plus it only took 3 years to build it from the ground up originally. Just like MMRR all the work is being done on the inside with a very large open area as we exit the ride. (They can make the staging area as large as they like. What's another wall in EPCOT these days.) Material movement can happen at night and construction can happen during both day and night if they wish. It is a big job, but it isn't impossible or even that difficult. I would love to see the Construction Timeline plan for this project. Those things are fascinating to me. Even more so then what they are actually going to be doing inside specifically.

jt04

You said this:

Hence the request for proof.

Just judging by efforts like the Fallon queue at Uni, many variations on Fastpass, upselling front of line access at some theme parks, investments in next-gen tech at Disney, Disney After Hours events, Early Morning Magic, investments in interactive elements to queues and of course queue jumpers. But I admit I don't have a math equation to prove this but the anecdotal evidence is compelling. IMO. 😉

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just judging by efforts like the Fallon queue at Uni, many variations on Fastpass, upselling front of line access at some theme parks, investments in next-gen tech at Disney, Disney After Hours events, Early Morning Magic, investments in interactive elements to queues and of course queue jumpers. But I admit I don't have a math equation to prove this but the anecdotal evidence is compelling. IMO. 😉
Of course it is. In your world anyway. :)

Come back to us when it’s actually happened.

UNCgolf

investments in interactive elements to queues

How would that possibly support the idea of more virtual queues? There's no reason to have interactive elements in a queue if no one is going to be standing in line to use the interactive elements.

rowrbazzle

If you spend time in the rotr bg thread you will see they create a lot of fun for guests. This was especially true before it became a game of skill and a good cell phone plan. By spreading the system to multiple parks/attractions that becomes mostly a non-factor even for rotr.

People like virtual queues infinitely more than actual queues. It's the future. Resistance is futile. 👽

The boarding group stuff was fun. It was a great benefit to my family on our trip in December. But that was before Disney started cutting hours and the number of guaranteed groups. Now, they're a mess. If Disney can't execute them properly (with enough groups and sufficient park hours), then I'd rather they not show up again.

As for SSE, I see no reason why it would need a VQ when it reopens. Regardless, I just hope the ride is improved.

TheRealBobIger

Perfect! Let's start by getting rid of @TheRealBobIger . Think of how much money we'll save!

Remember I am still your boss for another 21 months. I could easily take away your CEO position and station you at the Jungle Cruise (which by the way I knew you were going to slash budgets but I did not expect an incident like that on your first day)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom