News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Lensman

give us options and allow you to pick which and what dialect and gender you want it read in
I think it would be an interesting idea to have some variety/randomization on the narration, either through having different narrators or even different scripts. For me, this would give it increased re-rideability since potentially, every time could be a little different. I was going to suggest that you could pick, but I could see that actually reducing the enjoyment to me. I'm also not sure if people should be given the "option" of getting the comedic version. I doubt it would happen, but I'd love to listen to the equivalent of the "director's commentary" track that they have for movies for the attraction. It would give the background, history, and interesting anecdotes for the up-and-coming SSE aficionados.

Also, does anyone know the economics of the voice narrations for the attractions? Like, would voice actors be fighting to be the narrator for SSE, doing the work for only a nominal fee?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
“Dreadful” is a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think? “Mediocre” or just plain “bad” would be a better explanation.
Nope. “Dreadful” pretty much nails it.

SSE (aka The Ball) is absolutely one of my favourite rides, but the current script is actually cringe-worthy. When people say “Thank the Phoenicians”, they aren’t paying homage to the phrase; they are mocking it. (Personally, I shudder even more at the next line ... “They invented them”. Ugh!)

Kman101

Tbh, the scripts for SSE, Imagination, Nemo, and Three Caballeros are all lousy.

SSE: “Welcome to the preschooler’s history of technology, which is a big word that means ‘things that help us live better lives.’ Thank the Phoenicians! They invented the alphabet that made computer coding possible!” ???

Imagination: “You want Figment? Here he is. Now roll through these massive empty rooms.”

Nemo: “Where are you?” (Repeat nonstop.)

3 Cab: “Where are you?” (Repeat nonstop.)

Bonus 3 Cab: “Stay inside the boat until it comes to a complete stop...” (Repeat nonstop.)

Figment feels like WDI gave someone the middle finger. Personally. And I'm sort of here for it now. But yes, spot on :)

And I find the host for the new UP! show feels very Disney Junior Dance Party-ish for me. Even though I think the host connected to the land is better (in theory, mind you).

ppete1975

I think it would be an interesting idea to have some variety/randomization on the narration, either through having different narrators or even different scripts. For me, this would give it increased re-rideability since potentially, every time could be a little different. I was going to suggest that you could pick, but I could see that actually reducing the enjoyment to me. I'm also not sure if people should be given the "option" of getting the comedic version. I doubt it would happen, but I'd love to listen to the equivalent of the "director's commentary" track that they have for movies for the attraction. It would give the background, history, and interesting anecdotes for the up-and-coming SSE aficionados.

Also, does anyone know the economics of the voice narrations for the attractions? Like, would voice actors be fighting to be the narrator for SSE, doing the work for only a nominal fee?
I like your idea of a secret directors cut, like a special button or something where you would hear history about the ride and how it was built.
It already does have different narrations, just pick different languages :) Certainly adds to the re-rideablility, and makes it different!!

tirian

While we're all reminiscing/being concerned about our favorite ride, it might be worth talking a little bit more about the soundtrack, specifically, the incredible descent music from the Irons version. I've never seen any hard proof for this, but there's no doubt in my mind that the piece was composed by, or at least inspired by Japanese synthesizer legend Isao Tomita. Specifically, it's an arrangement of his lovely Sea Named Solaris, which is itself a Bach arrangement. Tomita also composed some music for Tokyo Disney, so it stands to reason that he may have worked on this for Disney as well.

Sadly, Tomita died in 2016, but I'd really love it if the next version of the ride featured another piece by Tomita (or in his style). His work really fits the beautiful, grand, magnificent scale and feeling that the descent of the ride ought to have. Something like this, perhaps?
The soundtrack heavily used Bach’s Sinfonia No. 2 in C Minor, and although the descent was based on Tomita’s music, the instrumentation began in the Renaissance scene.

HoraceHorizons

now that this seems to be out in the light a bit more, why do I feel an announcement/rumor on Img Pavilion is coming too, to coincide with 40th.......
Im expecting D23 Parks panel to be all Epcot. Especially if we believe Universal is waiting on Disney and Galaxay's Edge to announce a 3rd Gate. Also, they need to announce something for the interior of The Land and Seas pavilions. Those are seriously hurting as well.
At least The Land has Soarin' but they cant get away without redo-ing the main concourse and updating The Land ride. I think the Seas, needs another ride entirely. Maybe an indoor ride to the left of the Pavilion. Imagination could utilize the same ride system and just upgrade what you're experiencing. The trouble is all 3 of those pavilions need to address the REST of the Pavilions as well, with, IMAGINATION and SEAS interiors needing the most work IMO. At the land, they can basically just change fixtures, railing and swap out stuff so long as they update Living with The Land.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Nope. “Dreadful” pretty much nails it.

SSE (aka The Ball) is absolutely one of my favourite rides, but the current script is actually cringe-worthy. When people say “Thank the Phoenicians”, they aren’t paying homage to the phrase; they are mocking it. (Personally, I shudder even more at the next line ... “They invented them”. Ugh!)
Yeah......it’s a really inaccurate script. At least the scenes (the ones that actually exist) are all pretty good. That’s mainly what I pay attention to, but you guys are right, the script needs a rewrite.

mikejs78

Premium Member
While we're all reminiscing/being concerned about our favorite ride, it might be worth talking a little bit more about the soundtrack, specifically, the incredible descent music from the Irons version. I've never seen any hard proof for this, but there's no doubt in my mind that the piece was composed by, or at least inspired by Japanese synthesizer legend Isao Tomita. Specifically, it's an arrangement of his lovely Sea Named Solaris, which is itself a Bach arrangement. Tomita also composed some music for Tokyo Disney, so it stands to reason that he may have worked on this for Disney as well.

Sadly, Tomita died in 2016, but I'd really love it if the next version of the ride featured another piece by Tomita (or in his style). His work really fits the beautiful, grand, magnificent scale and feeling that the descent of the ride ought to have. Something like this, perhaps?
I like both the score from the Irons version and the score from the current one (the current SSE music is one of the most played songs in my music library). I'd be sad to see it go, I like the main theme.

Then there's Tomorrow's Child, which I also love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom