News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Kman101

My only wish for the new narration is that it retains the reverent tone that the actual show scenes depict. The current script is a little too condescending and the Siemens/JibJab videos at the end just throw reverence out the window. The ride should be awe-inspiring and leave you with a sense of pride in humanity's accomplishments and excitement for the future of communication. Until the current incarnation, it did that. This isn't a knock against Dame Judi Dench, who is a phenomenal actress. She did the best she could with a script that sounds like it was written for an elementary school educational film from the 1970's.

And that's been one of the major problems with Walt Disney World. They talk at you, not to you, like you're 5 and don't get it. (This goes for more than just SSE). I liked Dench too, but the script was, as others have said, not good. A good script is key (Hi, UP! A Great Bird Adventure). They forgot in some cases how to appeal to *everyone* and not just try and appeal to pre-schoolers.

atlien

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 82

jt04

It seems throwing out names of people you’d like to see as narrator of SSE is the Future World equivalent of throwing out countries you’d like to see in World Showcase... :cautious:

I figured out how this could work. A qr code reader in each ride vehicle. You preselect your personal narrator before boarding then scan your phone once on board. Narration and soundtrack plays through ear buds.

Every time a narrator is chosen they get a few pennies. No shortage of volunteers.

mikejs78

Premium Member
And that's been one of the major problems with Walt Disney World. They talk at you, not to you, like you're 5 and don't get it. (This goes for more than just SSE). I liked Dench too, but the script was, as others have said, not good. A good script is key (Hi, UP! A Great Bird Adventure). They forgot in some cases how to appeal to *everyone* and not just try and appeal to pre-schoolers.
Eh, I just don't think the current script is horrible. It's certainly not up to the high standards of the Irons or Cronkite scripts, but it's still passable and still is in the vision of Epcot. It's far less offensive than, say, the change in script from the original Journey into Imagination and the current JIYI. Now *that's* a dreadful script. Current SSE doesn't even come close to that level of awfulness.

Kman101

Eh, I just don't think the current script is horrible. It's certainly not up to the high standards of the Irons or Cronkite scripts, but it's still passable and still is in the vision of Epcot. It's far less offensive than, say, the change in script from the original Journey into Imagination and the current JIYI. Now *that's* a dreadful script. Current SSE doesn't even come close to that level of awfulness.

True. It's not that awful, lol. I had some more recent things in mind, moreso than the SSE script.

HiJe

As a fan of the Cronkite scripts and having ridden this ride since the mid-80's, I recently was on it in early September and the only disappointing part to me was the decline with the touch screens. It was dark before as you descended, but it had a good speech going on with the neon lights to follow down. Just seemed like I was put in a dark closet with an Ipad for a few minutes as I rode backwards waiting to get to the bottom.

KBLovedDisney

As a fan of the Cronkite scripts and having ridden this ride since the mid-80's, I recently was on it in early September and the only disappointing part to me was the decline with the touch screens. It was dark before as you descended, but it had a good speech going on with the neon lights to follow down. Just seemed like I was put in a dark closet with an Ipad for a few minutes as I rode backwards waiting to get to the bottom.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Actually it referred to copies of books after the the fall of Rome, not transcribing (that quote leads into the printing press). :D

Ah, you're right, thank you for correcting me.

For giving an incorrect example like that, I sentence myself to watching Martin's SSE videos a few times in a row. ;)

tirian

“Dreadful” is a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think? “Mediocre” or just plain “bad” would be a better explanation. Of course, I don’t have much to compare it on since I’m too young to remember the Irons version. Back then, I was more considered about the physical scenes than the narration, so I guess I just don’t have a personal attachment to it.

Tbh, the scripts for SSE, Imagination, Nemo, and Three Caballeros are all lousy.

SSE: “Welcome to the preschooler’s history of technology, which is a big word that means ‘things that help us live better lives.’ Thank the Phoenicians! They invented the alphabet that made computer coding possible!” ???

Imagination: “You want Figment? Here he is. Now roll through these massive empty rooms.”

Nemo: “Where are you?” (Repeat nonstop.)

3 Cab: “Where are you?” (Repeat nonstop.)

Bonus 3 Cab: “Stay inside the boat until it comes to a complete stop...” (Repeat nonstop.)

celluloid

Tbh, the scripts for SSE, Imagination, Nemo, and Three Caballeros are all lousy.

SSE: “Welcome to the preschooler’s history of technology, which is a big word that means ‘things that help us live better lives.’ Thank the Phoenicians! They invented the alphabet that made computer coding possible!” ???

Imagination: “You want Figment? Here he is. Now roll through these massive empty rooms.”

Nemo: “Where are you?” (Repeat nonstop.)

3 Cab: “Where are you?” (Repeat nonstop.)

Bonus 3 Cab: “Stay inside the boat until it comes to a complete stop...” (Repeat nonstop.)
You are not wrong. None feature anything inspiring.

While we're all reminiscing/being concerned about our favorite ride, it might be worth talking a little bit more about the soundtrack, specifically, the incredible descent music from the Irons version. I've never seen any hard proof for this, but there's no doubt in my mind that the piece was composed by, or at least inspired by Japanese synthesizer legend Isao Tomita. Specifically, it's an arrangement of his lovely Sea Named Solaris, which is itself a Bach arrangement. Tomita also composed some music for Tokyo Disney, so it stands to reason that he may have worked on this for Disney as well.

Sadly, Tomita died in 2016, but I'd really love it if the next version of the ride featured another piece by Tomita (or in his style). His work really fits the beautiful, grand, magnificent scale and feeling that the descent of the ride ought to have. Something like this, perhaps?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom