News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

backinaction

My only wish for the new narration is that it retains the reverent tone that the actual show scenes depict. The current script is a little too condescending and the Siemens/JibJab videos at the end just throw reverence out the window. The ride should be awe-inspiring and leave you with a sense of pride in humanity's accomplishments and excitement for the future of communication. Until the current incarnation, it did that. This isn't a knock against Dame Judi Dench, who is a phenomenal actress. She did the best she could with a script that sounds like it was written for an elementary school educational film from the 1970's.
Agread, the DJD version just didn't do it for me. The JI version is my favorite.

GlacierGlacier

It's a rehash of the guy sending you for the dinosaur.
Excuse me, Dr. Seeker (a heck of a palentologist if I do say so myself) is excited, dynamic, and delivers his lines in a cadence which makes them quite iconic. "Flash photography? I wouldn't. It alters the homing signal and that's not good."

The Researcher in FoP is not at all on the same level.

Prince Thomas

Plus Oprah loves this guy, but then again who doesn’t lol
E945A877-934F-4B3F-98B3-0D12D50C78BE.jpeg

geekza

Yeah, I could see it.

And as you are getting on the omnimover, you hear her in the background, "You get a ride! You get a ride! You get a ride!"
During the descent, she turns over the narration to Dr. Oz, who shows a funny animated video about the latest diet fads and why vaccines cause Autism. Once guests exit the vehicle, they are herded into a bookstore that only sells Oprah's Book Club selections. Sadly, research has shown that such a ride would cause a significant rise in guest suicides after they realize that The Secret is a load of bunkum. ;)

Brer Oswald

Funny. I like his LwtL narration, but I abhor the Peoplemover narration. Script is key, as is the director.

For me, the best SSE narration is a toss-up between Cronkite and Irons. Dench, as a voice, is fine, but the script is absolutely dreadful.
“Dreadful” is a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think? “Mediocre” or just plain “bad” would be a better explanation. Of course, I don’t have much to compare it on since I’m too young to remember the Irons version. Back then, I was more considered about the physical scenes than the narration, so I guess I just don’t have a personal attachment to it.

geekza

“Dreadful” is a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think? “Mediocre” or just plain “bad” would be a better explanation. Of course, I don’t have much to compare it on since I’m too young to remember the Irons version. Back then, I was more considered about the physical scenes than the narration, so I guess I just don’t have a personal attachment to it.
If you have the time (because they're lengthy), give Martin's Tribute videos for Spaceship Earth a watch, as they contain full ride-throughs of every version. While I agree that Dench's script isn't the worst thing, it is definitely a substantial step down from previous scripts. Heck, the original script was worked on by Ray Bradbury!

Missing20K

During the descent, she turns over the narration to Dr. Oz, who shows a funny animated video about the latest diet fads and why vaccines cause Autism. Once guests exit the vehicle, they are herded into a bookstore that only sells Oprah's Book Club selections. Sadly, research has shown that such a ride would cause a significant rise in guest suicides after they realize that The Secret is a load of bunkum. ;)

Please no. :hilarious:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Not really. A system of roads being compared to the web? Books being transcribed compared with a computer backup system? No, it's dreadful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom