News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

*Q*

Maybe they'll finally turn the paperboy around so he's facing the guests!
And with the way WDI is with budgets they'll probably spend $50,000 doing it.
The only thing I'm somewhat iffy on is the projection mapping, both inside and out. I hope they don't take that too far.
This is actually one of the elements I'm most interested in, I think it's one of the more appropriate structures at Walt Disney World for projection mapping. Done correctly, of course, doing a lot with colors and effects and illusions and such, and not just slapping characters up there. They're certainly capable of it, the Tree of Life show is classy and perfectly keeping with the spirit of the park. I'd simply be excited just to see the singular boring purple color scheme put to rest. As for 180top, I see plenty of potential there, too.
I just hope they finally remove the interactive screens on the ride vehicles.
Spaceship-Earth-Language.jpg
I wouldn't mind if they stayed because they came up with some kind of really cool way to interact with the ride itself. But they could also potentially accomplish that with your smartphone, too, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

britain

Here's my suspicion regarding the timing:

If the new Spaceship Earth is true to the spirit of the original, and IP-less, then from a marketer's point of view, the best time to sell this is Epcot's 40th. You'll have all your advertising arsenal focused on Epcot nostalgia and a new Spaceship Earth would fit into that narrative well. Sorry to say, but any other time, just saying "And Spaceship Earth is new!" just isn't much of a draw to the average tourist.

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
Since keeping up with technology, especially communication technology, is so hard due to the rapid pace of change, I would love to see the exit of the pavilion become an interactive museum of the history and future of Epcot. It would be a nice homage and an appropriate use of the space.

The communication theme could be further evolved as well. The central theme being the overall message Epcot is intended to convey and how it is communicated not just through words but through design, sense of place, landscaping, and show.

The center piece could be the Progress City model (if it is in good enough shape to be moved). Perhaps some old friends, like Buzzy, could also be brought back and given a new purpose. A nod to the past with a focus on the future.

Pipe dream I am sure but it was fun to think up.

DisneyOutsider

Hey, I'm all for omnimovers. I love the people mover.

All I was getting that was I understand back in the 80s it would have been exciting for a lot of people. These days, not so much. I would much rather they do stick something IP based in there, being the parks icon.

Keep the omnimover part of course but the history of communication? Naaaa

Surely there's a Six Flags somewhere close to you where you could get everything you're looking for at a much lower price.

bhg469

I vote for @marni1971 to be the narrator. :geek:

If we can't book Martin, I also vote for Benedict Cumberbatch. Not as Doctor Strange though! The British version is much more preferable. His voice is pretty much perfect for just about anything.
I vote Cumberbatch ONLY if he says "penguin" several times during the ride. (if you don't understand why, i highly suggest you search audio of him saying penguin)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom