News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

brb1006

That just hurts my head knowing I'll be 32 before I'll get a good Imagination ride again. 32. The last time I rode Imagination and enjoyed it was when I was 5/6. Who thought I'd have to wait 27 years before Imagination is worthwhile again. :banghead:

This is just like the gap between Tron and Tron: Legacy.

Edit: I just realized Tom Fitzgerald lead the refurb for V2 and V3. If that's the best he can imagine, FW is going to be a mess in a couple years.
Time to reread the Figment comics again. :cry:

MatheusPG

Honestly?
Everywhere needs a revamp.
SSE, the Land, Imagination, the Seas.... it's all tired. We just love some of these areas because they have memories and sentimentality attached to them.
But no one has gone of Living with The Land in the past ten+ years and gotten the same excitement they get when they go on something like Mansion.... same goes for Nemo.... same goes double for the Imagination Pavilion.
Where do you even start "fixing" epcot when it all needs to be fixed but you know that the company will somehow give you worse versions of what needs fixing?
I don't know what they should do with epcot... or DHS.... or even magic kingdom (which is experiencing HUGE crowd problems) besides closing the entire resort for a year and doing 24/7 construction during that year to add more people eating attractions, add more real E tickets, and fix all the problems that existing rides have.

There are so many things at WDW that need to be gutted and started over... most of Epcot, Space Mountain, everything at DHS that isn't the new additions/TOT/RRC... I don't know even how to start or WHERE they should start. They sat on these problems for so long that they've built up to the point where I'm afraid it's never going to go back to the grandeur/innovation that once existed.

Ironically, the rides that would have aged the best at EPCOT (original Journey Into/Horizons) are now... gone.
If the original version of the Imagination Pavilion stood today, it would be regarded the same way Mansion or Pirates is now.
But hindsight it 20/20.... and hubris is boiling tonic on a sweltering day.
Horizons was about the human ideas of the future from every decade so it would never get old... Maybe just some minor updates in the scenary, new dialogues and some changes like in the video conference part would be just fine...
Journey into Imagination just needed good maintence and maybe new technology now and then and would be as much of a classic as the Haunted Mansion and Pirates...
But Disney prefered to remove rides that would never age for terrible ones that are already a problem today...

HoraceHorizons

Horizons was about the human ideas of the future from every decade so it would never get old... Maybe just some minor updates in the scenary, new dialogues and some changes like in the video conference part would be just fine...
Journey into Imagination just needed good maintence and maybe new technology now and then and would be as much of a classic as the Haunted Mansion and Pirates...
But Disney prefered to remove rides that would never age for terrible ones that are already a problem today...

Just get rid of Imagination or Seas and make it a new Horizons. Would anyone complain?

KBLovedDisney

There was an entire book that WDI sent to Kodak as essentially a "We're gonna redo imagination and if you want your name on the building, give us some money". It was like 50 pages or so, and I only have found a couple. But even from what I have, you can tell that JIYI was originally gonna be much better than what we got. The kicker came with Kodak being broke, and budget cut after budget cutView attachment 320748View attachment 320749View attachment 320753View attachment 320754View attachment 320755
They should have known then how it was all going to come to pass after naming the ride vehicles "The Imaginator":facepalm:

Bender123

I hate to be "that guy", but the first half of Horizons was timeless...the second half, however, did not age well. Not that I don't miss it, but the visions of the "future" seem corny at best.

Bender123

Corny in art direction, but the majority of the content is still yet to come.

Agreed...at a minimum it would have needed everything from the omnimax screens forward to be almost completely redone or there would be the risk of recreating CoP and the future of "Resident Flying Ace", an oven that feels like the mentally challenged version of Samsung Bixby (and that I really saying something) and VR graphics that make Atari embarrassed.

At least they gave the mom in CoP a new laptop a few years back...that 1990s one was laughable.

Last edited:

geekza

Agreed...at a minimum it would have needed everything from the omnimax screens forward to be almost completely redone or there would be the risk of recreating CoP and the future of "Resident Flying Ace" and oven that feels like the mentally challenged version of Samsung Bixby (and that I really saying something) and VR graphics that make Atari embarrassed.

At least they gave the mom in CoP a new laptop a few years back...that 1990s one was laughable.
Some newer clothes on the AA figures, a little updating of the decor, new film for the Omnimax room, and new films for the multiple endings could have extended its lifespan for at least a couple of decades. The ride system needed some TLC, but the attraction itself could have absolutely been updated for far less money than it cost to build Mission: Regurgitate and we would have kept an amazing attraction. Alas, people wanted Thrills and Spills. They certainly got the latter in abundance.

Note: 1 "bundance" = 2 gallons of vomit

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I can’t comfirm anything from that piece of art.

Could you confirm that it is indeed *art*?

Actually its a constant moving omnimover, with no waiting room prior or anything. So it eats people as quickly as they can walk on.

A waiting room or preshow rarely is the cause of a ride not operating at full capacity. (Except for Gringotts which regularly is waiting for riders because their 'lobbies' don't have as high a capacity as the ride itself.)

Just please keep the planetarium scene at the top intact and as is.

Actually, I wish they would put a planetarium in Future World (or several for the capacity). It's educational and you can put as much IP in to the story as you want... it's basically a screen on the ceiling.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It'll reopen as Mickey's Spaceship Adventure

Well, you know, they need a section on the Internet...
1540065836110.png

I'd choose the FoP guy

"Like a grand and miraculous, uh... Spaceship"

Leave Dr. Stevens alone. He's adorkable!

9uR7w0E.gif

I vote for the most distinguished voice of our time, Bobcat Goldthwait.

Yes! It should be narrated by Pain, Iago, and Donald.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom