Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

cranbiz

I rode SSE earlier today and I've been on it in the past year but it felt much worse, very noisy on the lift, and generally lots of noises, creaks, BUMPS etc, and agreed, difficult to even hear the narration.

If I was in charge I'd close it right away and get to work on fixing the track...it's just incredibly "bad show" at this point. Having said that, and apologize if this was discussed elsewhere but do they possibly need to open any of the sphere to do the work on the track?
TWDC of today doesn't care about "Bad Show". They only care about $$$. This is not the company I grew to love and even spent 5 years with as a CM.

As long as people are willing to pay to go to the parks, things will never get any better.

DisneyCane

Is it possible to replace small sections of the track at a time over night or do they have to remove all of the ride vehicles to do work like that?

The "ride quality" with all of the bumps and noise exacerbates other issues and make it feel like the whole thing is being barely held together by duck tape.

Earlie the Pearlie

Is it possible to replace small sections of the track at a time over night or do they have to remove all of the ride vehicles to do work like that?

The "ride quality" with all of the bumps and noise exacerbates other issues and make it feel like the whole thing is being barely held together by duck tape.
That's Disney magic! (Insert music clip from "It's Magical" here)

tparris

I believe they’d have to remove all ride vehicles seeing as it’s one continuous chain. Keep in mind the only way to do that is via the single service elevator in the middle of the structure.

StantonZ

I believe they’d have to remove all ride vehicles seeing as it’s one continuous chain. Keep in mind the only way to do that is via the single service elevator in the middle of the structure.
No. It's not even about removing all the ride vehicles.
The (eventual) SSE "refurb" will involve removing the entire ride track/path and replacing it with something else (could be magnetic/mechanical/whatever). If you have ever seen a presentation/drawings on the building of SSE, you know that the ride system has always been problematic (they literally chew through ride vehicle tires every week), and better options/technology is now available that wasn't practical 40 years ago. Unfortunately, that means any eventual "refurb" will be a long one. :(

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
The (eventual) SSE "refurb" will involve removing the entire ride track/path and replacing it with something else (could be magnetic/mechanical/whatever). If you have ever seen a presentation/drawings on the building of SSE, you know that the ride system has always been problematic (they literally chew through ride vehicle tires every week), and better options/technology is now available that wasn't practical 40 years ago. Unfortunately, that means any eventual "refurb" will be a long one. :(
Could they use the PeopleMover LIM system for this?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I could see expanding the load/unload might help them add/remove track vehicles for disabled guests more seamlessly as that's one minor issue with how it operates currently. I'm not sure a peoplemover style setup (WDW peoplemover at least) would work as it has to go on a large elevation change.

The previous refurb took a while (a year+ I think?). I don't envy the engineers deciding how to upgrade the track in that kind of space limitation

DisneyCane

Wouldn’t a magnetic track be hard to achieve with the ascent and descent of the ride?
I don't think it would be that difficult to engineer. There would just need to be fail safe brakes to prevent travel in the wrong direction.

That said, I'm not sure that would be the ideal system for the ride.

montyz81

I believe they’d have to remove all ride vehicles, seeing as it’s one continuous chain. Keep in mind the only way to do that is via the single service elevator in the middle of the structure.
If they removed on vehicle wouldn't they all come down?

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
I attended the Retro Magic convention at Beach Club last month. Retired Imagineering Legend Bob Gurr told us that he was brought in to look at issues with the track system before Epcot opened. He evaluated all the options available at the time and told WDI that buying wheels by the truckload would be more cost effective and reliable than the other options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom