Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

Dragonman

The other thing is that none of the previous narrators introduced themselves during the ride, we just knew by their voice or by hearing who it was.
Cronkite was actually introduced shortly before the ride began in the 86’ version during the AT&T spiel however none of the other narrators were introduced which probably led to the years long confusion about the Vic Perrin version.

Animaniac93-98

I hadn't been on SSE in several years and didn't realize how loud and bumpy the ride system had gotten. It made it hard to hear the narration at times and I imagine it's not supposed to be like that.

Mickeynerd17

I hadn't been on SSE in several years and didn't realize how loud and bumpy the ride system had gotten. It made it hard to hear the narration at times and I imagine it's not supposed to be like that.
It's been loud and bumpy for as long as I can remember (2008ish), but it's become more intense to me over the last 5-6 years. I rode the '94 version but do not remember it, so I don't know if it was bad prior to 2008 or not.

DreamfinderGuy

Really? I've seen bits and pieces of what I assume was the final plan and recall there still being post-show area in the building. Not to the scale of Project Tomorrow, but small spaces that carried on the story light gimmick. Possible I'm mixing this up with some kind of indoor queue space?
Addendum to this bit from a while back, since this post I have gotten to see more parts of the 2020 plan and can confirm that the Project Tomorrow rebuild did not include any post-show. What I was referring to earlier was in fact bits of a small planned interior queue. Existing load/unload was removed and extended to become flat belts like you would see on a traditional omnimover. They came together in a sort of V shape, with a small interior queue inside of that V shape.

Earlie the Pearlie

Addendum to this bit from a while back, since this post I have gotten to see more parts of the 2020 plan and can confirm that the Project Tomorrow rebuild did not include any post-show. What I was referring to earlier was in fact bits of a small planned interior queue. Existing load/unload was removed and extended to become flat belts like you would see on a traditional omnimover. They came together in a sort of V shape, with a small interior queue inside of that V shape.
Kind of like horizons, but backwards and without an omnisphere on top?

DreamfinderGuy

Kind of like horizons, but backwards and without an omnisphere on top?
Something like that. Here's a diagram that I can neither confirm nor deny used official plans for reference while being created.
IMG_6976.png

Horizonsfan

The layout and straightening makes sense given the constant complete stops that currently go on.

However, it seems like another waste to lop off Project Tomorrow. Reprieve from Inclement Weather & heat will be sorely needed between Communicore Hall and the main entry.

There’s no good reason to eliminate the existing structure. Just modify as structurally necessary, reskin the exterior, and keep any left over post show space as a smaller exhibit space, shop, or relaxation space.

DreamfinderGuy

The layout and straightening makes sense given the constant complete stops that currently go on.

However, it seems like another waste to lop off Project Tomorrow. Reprieve from Inclement Weather & heat will be sorely needed between Communicore Hall and the main entry.

There’s no good reason to eliminate the existing structure. Just modify as structurally necessary, reskin the exterior, and keep any left over post show space as a smaller exhibit space, shop, or relaxation space.
I think when it comes time for a real SSE rehab they'll more than likely do something like that. The surrounding area has been reconfigured around the existing building, the time to rip it all up and build a new one has passed. I do think they will still reconfigure load/unload in some way, but they won't shrink the building to be nothing but load and unload.

Mickeynerd17

I think when it comes time for a real SSE rehab they'll more than likely do something like that. The surrounding area has been reconfigured around the existing building, the time to rip it all up and build a new one has passed. I do think they will still reconfigure load/unload in some way, but they won't shrink the building to be nothing but load and unload.
That's if they keep the ride at all.

There's no IP integration in SSE right now.

Den Carter

Finally got round to watching the Epcot episode of Behind The Attraction. SSE was featured a fair bit, which makes me optimistic for its future, given that the whole series is basically a big commercial for the parks. It really deserved its own episode, though presumably leadership are well aware that as a ride it's not currently show-worthy enough to warrant it.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

We should simply face reality - SSE will have a final breakdown and then be abandoned-in-place. That is the new reality in the world of Disney.

The cost of skilled labor to maintain rides is simply too high. Animatronics are so "last century". To paraphrase Marie Antoinette "let them just break".

Earlie the Pearlie

Finally got round to watching the Epcot episode of Behind The Attraction. SSE was featured a fair bit, which makes me optimistic for its future, given that the whole series is basically a big commercial for the parks. It really deserved its own episode, though presumably leadership are well aware that as a ride it's not currently show-worthy enough to warrant it.
When they said Figment was created to be a mascot and didn’t mention Dreamfinder, I turned it off. I don’t care for behind the attraction, but that’s just so… wrong.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I rode SSE earlier today and I've been on it in the past year but it felt much worse, very noisy on the lift, and generally lots of noises, creaks, BUMPS etc, and agreed, difficult to even hear the narration.

If I was in charge I'd close it right away and get to work on fixing the track...it's just incredibly "bad show" at this point. Having said that, and apologize if this was discussed elsewhere but do they possibly need to open any of the sphere to do the work on the track?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom