Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

BasiltheBatLord

If you're referring to SSE (though I feel like you mean the EPCOT project at large) there's a funny story behind that! They had no idea that all the little remnants of the 94 show were still there until after they made it to the project site (this was after the rehab was already announced iirc, and certainly long after creative was well underway).

There wasn't documentation within WDI notating that stuff was still there. The last rehab was designed assuming those rooms were all empty. So maybe not "had never been to EPCOT", but hadn't been poking around the guts of SSE lol.
That seems surprising considering I would assume any CM working SSE would be aware that that stuff is there. Don't they see some of it during track walks, don't other CMs tell them about it?

I know WDI is not the same as operations, but you would think it would be well known within the company.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Disney typically doesn't spend ANY money to get rid of things unless they're absolutely replacing it with something else. Hence I don't expect WoL to be bulldozed at all unless they really are replacing the entire building with a different one.

Also why I'm not surprised the '94 era stuff is still in SSE...why spend money to get rid of it when you can just put it behind a curtain

DreamfinderGuy

That seems surprising considering I would assume any CM working SSE would be aware that that stuff is there. Don't they see some of it during track walks, don't other CMs tell them about it?

I know WDI is not the same as operations, but you would think it would be well known within the company.
It’s easily missed during a track walk. Unless you know specifically where to look for a glimpse, you’re not seeing any of it unless you’re in the show areas themselves. That, coupled with the fact that most CMs themselves are probably unaware, plus Ops/WDI being completely separate, created a very funny result.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There seems to be a persistent thought going around that SSE is “in desperate need” of an overhaul from a structural standpoint, and this simply isn’t true.
It is I’m afraid. The ride system is limping in more ways than one, and a lot of the OG sets are beyond life expired.

Let’s not forget Imag 4 has been banded around since around 2007-8. No one will take the plunge or commit enough funding (thankfully there was an aborted attempt that had diddly squat money behind it)

DreamfinderGuy

It is I’m afraid. The ride system is limping in more ways than one, and a lot of the OG sets are beyond life expired.
Interesting. I’m aware of a few issues (one of which was to be corrected in the last overhaul) but have otherwise been told it’s being taken care of. SSE has a strong local crew behind it now keeping things up, ride system included.
Oh, there was ;)
Hmm, that’s odd. Wondering how/why those on the site tour were unaware because I know that happened. Removal started shortly thereafter with the city canopy, but none of the other sets were ever touched.

Moth

Let’s not forget Imag 4 has been banded around since around 2007-8. No one will take the plunge or commit enough funding (thankfully there was an aborted attempt that had diddly squat money behind it)
Is this referring to the rumored 4 that Frozen apparently stole the budget from?

Homemade Imagineering

Way before frozen. My memories a wet sponge but I want to say it went to 2 other small projects.
Hmm well I’m glad to hear that proposal came and went. I am curious whether you’ve heard the recent one they’re supposedly throwing around according to some here, which also sounds like more of a bandaid fix, keeping the track layout with some new set dressing & swapping Channing for Dreamfinder. Those who’ve reported it said the budget seems fairly low for a complete redo, but you’ve also hinted management knows they can’t screw this up again. I hope the latter aspect prevails over any cheap makeover proposals, & the optimist in me says they’re still dragging their feet until they can invest some significant Capital

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hmm well I’m glad to hear that proposal came and went. I am curious whether you’ve heard the recent one they’re supposedly throwing around according to some here, which also sounds like more of a bandaid fix, keeping the track layout with some new set dressing & swapping Channing for Dreamfinder. Those who’ve reported it said the budget seems fairly low for a complete redo, but you’ve also hinted management knows they can’t screw this up again. I hope the latter aspect prevails over any cheap makeover proposals, & the optimist in me says they’re still dragging their feet until they can invest some significant Capital
Every year for at least the past 8 years there have been firm proposals for a v4. Some have included Inside Out, the ones I’ve been party to in the 5 or 6 years since 2016 have all had a very healthy budget.

tparris

Just rode SSE, and I noticed animated “cloud” projections on Earth in 180top. I’m assuming this is an old effect that just happened to get fixed randomly?

VicariousCorpse

Just rode SSE, and I noticed animated “cloud” projections on Earth in 180top. I’m assuming this is an old effect that just happened to get fixed randomly?
I believe the projectors were last upgraded in 1994. There are two projectors. One of the static Earth and the second projects moving clouds. I don't know about it's reliability and whether it has been working or not.

Jwhee

Every year for at least the past 8 years there have been firm proposals for a v4. Some have included Inside Out, the ones I’ve been party to in the 5 or 6 years since 2016 have all had a very healthy budget.

I remember when we were all convinced the attraction was going to close on January 2nd, 2014. Good times 😄

OSUPhantom

At some point the structural issues with the track would necessitate a re-do so they have to be planning for this. My inner optimist hopes the Horzions reference for the parks panel would see that ride have some new spiritual tribute at Epcot. The descent would SSE could be an ideal place; how communication helps us expand our horizons and image a better future...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom