Spaceship Earth - my opinions of the refurb - very very dissapointing

Enigma

Account Suspended
For the sake of the future of Spaceship Earth, everyone NEEDS to tell the imagineers everything, not just the positive things. I ranted for a good 5 minutes on what was wrong with it.

Thank the lord for people like you. The whole point of those survey takers is to find out what people don't like about the ride so that tehy can improve upon it. There not there just to hear praise.

MuRkErY

I simply believe that we are looking at an area of the ride that didn't have much to start with, so there isn't much to do in order to add to it.

Ok so lets take your viewpoint for a while, the past ending was nothing special...

So... this is a refurb, they are supposed to take the parts of an attraction that don't quite work and then plus them, make them better etc... not make them even worse.

I quite liked the old ending, it was not perfect technically, but it had heart, the music and narration worked so well together along with some nice little set pieces. Now like I said earlier they could have kept the music and narration and plussed the visual aspects of the descent, they could have made the descent even more "epic"... but they did not.

This is the opposite of what a refurb is supposed to do... what did Walt Disney used to say? "Keep moving forward"? Well in this case we have one very large step back.

DisneyAnole

Thank the lord for people like you. The whole point of those survey takers is to find out what people don't like about the ride so that tehy can improve upon it. There not there just to hear praise.

But the positive stuff is all that they'll focus on. Those surveys are as lame and as useless as the flash animated survey on the descent. It's not gonna help, but keep telling yourself that if it helps.

Skippy_

MuRkErY, your initial statement on SSE refurb is dead on. Why waste money changing what is already the high point of the attraction (music, narration, and script) when it obviously needed to go somewhere else.

You said it best, nothing to add!

Skippy

tirian

Everything I was going to say has already been mentioned, so I'll just add my two cents along with everyone else's.

The descent is HORRIBLE. Why would I be interested in a Flash video that looks like a web design student project? Why would any Guest prefer to look at a little touch screen after experiencing a grand AA attraction? My Nintendo DS Lite and Wii are much more interactive and cutting-edge than the new finale to SSE.

WDI needs to fix the descent ASAP.

retroeric

Would the overall shape and build-up of the ride make more sense to riders if it ended at the very top and there was some kind of exit station up there with a walkthrough back down to ground level? Obviously this wouldn't be possible because that would be an awful lot of walking and steps, but for me the ride has always "ended" when we reach outer space. The descent was nothing more than a shuttle back to ground level. I think because we're still in the ride vehicles on the descent, it feels like we SHOULD have the same quality in the descent that we do in the ascent, so imho the only solution would have been to have the guests exit their vehicles right after the climax.

While we're talking totally hypothetical, I liked that slide idea someone mentioned earlier. :ROFLOL:

Rayray

What in the world was the person that approved this mess think. I have seen C and D student juniors in high school write better endings to an essay than this SSE ending.

Let's see. We've got a story about communication, deep and chonologically related scenes to arrange a climax of what has, what is, and what will occur. How can we screw it up. Okay, first lets make the narration very personable and elementary - that should take away any eloquence and majesty found in the script. Then we leave out an ending - that way, guest can always leave the ride confused and disappointed. Next, we should give riders a touch screen to watch a customized flash animation. To keep the guests entertained while the computer comes up with one of fifteen totally, out of this world, realistic, futuristic, customistic, flashtistic animations, we can give them trivia questions... but lets keep them totally simple, and don't give them the choice of using the touchscreen to answer them (that would just be too efficient). Oh, and let's make sure we tell this story on bumpy vehicles. Communication stories are best served on blue, vibrating, and plastic time machines... we wouldn't want our guest to fall asleep.

I want to know who thought any of this was a good idea. This rehab has ruined what was great attraction. I only like the attraction because all of the narrating pulled it all together so well, and now the WDI squad has screwed that up too. I am happy they have put in the new animatronic, but sheesh... How many more ways can you screw this one up.

A bit of hope was looming after the wand was removed, but its curse of mediocrity and horrid misplacment or irrelevance lives on in the DESCENT.

DigitalDisney

While I have only seen the video, I have to agree with the OP. Unfortunately, SSE is in dire need of help.

I have mixed opinions about everything up to the 180, but I am largely pleased with what they have done. As others have mentioned, the script needs some work, and it sounded too much like a teacher trying to connect historical facts with modern concepts. It seemed to bounce all over the place, and it wasn't very deep at all. Previous scripts said very little about each scene, and sometimes didn't mention anything about some scenes, which left it up to the rider to fill in the blanks, so to speak. I have more of a problem with the script itself than I do with Judi Dench being the narrarator.

And then there's the trainwreck of an ending. Just because the ending has always been weak (relative to the rest of the experience) doesn't mean that they have to resort to this pile of nothingness.

I have a strange feeling that the imagineers or even Siemens were trying to pay homage to Horizons with the "choose your own ending concept." In fact, the finale video in the posted video reminded me of the driverless car scene from Horizons's "Looking Back at Tomorrow" segment.

The "choose your own ending" concept worked for Horizons and doesn't work for SSE for a number of reasons:
- I'm going to refer to this again, but the reward is in no way worth the effort involved. That's the bottom line.
- It was part of the actual design for Horizons, and it's being shoehorned into SSE. This isn't necessarily bad, but it means that this "choose your own ending" idea was an afterthought, and the original concept was shelved in favor of it.
- Horizons required just one response from the guest, but SSE requires that you fill out a whole freaking survey.
- With Horizons, all four guests in the car could at least provide input and the majority would rule. It appears that riders must agree on responses for SSE.
- The three payoff videos for Horizons were fast-paced and exciting. We all remember soaring over Mesa Verde, diving around Sea Castle, and cruising through space to get to Brava Centauri. Those videos were all memorable, and we each had our favorites. SSE's videos are just simple flash animations, and the reward is not worth the effort put into it. Even if you did like your video, you may not be able to remember the steps it took to reproduce it on subsequent rides. It's definitely more complicated than just picking Space, Desert, or Undersea.

I think we can all agree that this video is much better used in the Project Tomorrow area. The descent can still be interactive and exciting, by letting guests select certain items on their screen, and those items would generate some action in the ride, like launching fireworks or something like that. The actual descent (from the last turn until you level off) could have a fancy light show, along with a thought-provoking narraration from Judi Dench. This would both mimic and pay tribute to the Tomorrow's Child ending, something that is sure to appeal to us die-hards, and it wouldn't leave guests with an empty feeling when they disembark.

I hope SSE gets delayed so they can pull an Alien Encounter on it, and transform it from something that's terrifying into a memorable experience.

tirian

The ending has relied on lighting and a musical score since the Cronkite version. But it also had depth: SSE V. 2 invited us to dream of Tomorrow's Child, while V. 3 hinted at future communication technology (and the easy access to holograms is still futuristic). The lighting effects, surrounding screens, and static figures surrounded the riders and gave a sense of purpose.

This new one feels much more like a post show, and is possibly the most disappointing one since Dream Riders at Test Track! Even worse, nothing about it envelops Guests. Riders simply stare at a TV screen, something they can do at home. I play games with either a touch screen or physical movements at my house. I expect a ride-through attraction to surround me, not move me down a black hallway while I "interact" with 90s-era touch-screen technology.

EDIT: I am extremely impressed with the AA refurbs, but I am sad to see that the theatre has been completely disregarded in Version 4.

ANOTHER EDIT: Yes, I know that lighting effects are supposedly still going to be turned on in the descent tunnel. Big deal. If I have to watch a small screen to find out how I travel in the future, why should I care about a light show? The attraction could have at least projected the "Future You" around you as you descended (projections synchronized with the vehicle).

FriarTuck&Roll

One thing to remember about this soft opening is that it can be changed. Disney has drastically changed attraction from soft opening to final version before. In the original Alien Encounter the first preshow originally had Phil Hartman doing a very comic take with his TOM2000 robot, which was replaced by the much more sinister Tim Curry SIR robot.

As for the descent. Wow, after watching a video someone posted on YouTube does that look horrible. Like really bad lamer than the Jetsons cheap animation. And the endless hallway adds nothing. (wasn't it a very dark section of the Haunted Mansion that was just replaced by a much more immersive staircase illusion).

Immersive more than interactive is what a dork ride truely should be. Although, Disney seems to think interactive on rides means either shooting something (Buzz, Toy Story Mania) or answering a survey. Why counldn't Disney add controls like a Wii Remote to say do something differnt, like conduct an orchastra, control a Tron LightCycle, lauch fireworks, and even play a simple game of pong against your fellow riders, All projected around the riders similarly to the old speed tunnels on If You Had Wings or World of Motion.

Jeff456

WDI and Epcot Leadership should close the ride for the next year if it takes that long to make the attraction correct and worthwhile!

I'm sorry people want to ride the attraction on their upcoming vacations but I'd rather see a quality ending then the the trash I witnessed today! (ending only)

As for people saying we are stating the obvious...I disagree. If it was so obviously bad to WDI why was it created? And even a better question is if it was so obviously bad why did they open it to their most important fans!!!!

Not so obvious I guess...
I understand what you are say but i am one of those people who wants to ride SSE on their next holiday, as it opens pretty much in the middle of mine. It will be great i can ride it once, then hopefully it drains away some of the queues from the rest of the park!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are there only a few of us who thought versions 2 and 3 had great endings? Turning the final corner in Cronkites version and seeing what appeared to be dozens of projections all around of children, the mirror effects giving an appearence of infinity, laser beams criss crossing the air, the technical video projections to the right, the UV paint decals, then the good old mirrored peg board lights - it was just so busy. Awe inspiring. Dramatic. The children were an early 80`s hippy touch I agree, but so what. It worked. And that`s without the score. Nor the spacestation.

The Irons version sacrificed true AAs in the limited space available for true show scenes, used a very clever peppers ghost to double up the scenery, and again the final bend with the laser-lit city, when viewed at its best, was a pure goose bump moment.

C'mon, WDI. You`ve a LOT of space to play with for the right visual effects. Please tell us you havn`t installed them yet or switched them on. God forbid Siemens don`t want distractions to get in the way of their survey. It sounds like you`re so close to a near-perfect show rehab. Don`t forget the finale.

Now, if I may, some observations based purely upon the WDWMagic video (it`ll have to be that way until next year!)

Load - I agree, some cosmetics wouldn`t go amiss. I noticed the cracked lightening fx in the wall wern`t working. Hopefully just switched off. Whilst part of me is happy we still have virtually the 1982 original here, some gobos or similar projected onto the ceiling baffles would help a lot. Knowing SSE load was problematic in the past, I understand why distractions are kept to a minimum (especially based on the original `79 projected ceiling concept) but with the new turntable/car safety features a bit of polish would work a treat.

The narration - I was waiting for Dench to say "and now, your host - Walter Cronkite" since it sounds so like the 1986 introduction. Like everyone else I`m used to males voices, and whilst charming Judy just dosn`t cut it. The power of Cronkite and Perrin or the understated impact of Irons just isn`t there. And the ascent spiel could have been pulled from the Cronkite script almost word for word.

Avoiding the ascent safety screens in the tunnel, I`m sad to see the Dawn of Time projections go. Yes, they were 1982 vintage, but they had such an impact with their mysterious morphing effect and the way they seemed to float above you. I guess the lightening fx have gone too?

The changes to the AAs are fantastic. The caveman has to be a new A-100; that ammount of motion on the 1982 torso would rip it apart. Unless WDI have a new way to retrofit upper and lower bodies. The rest of the AAs work really well - the hybrid technique gives an A-100 impression without the expense. Those unchanged match well too - their slow, limited movements match their part.

The music in the Sistine Chapel is so out of place; it sounds like there's a renaisance radio playing on set. It just dosn`t match the rest of the score. Speaking of which it is a definate grower. The exterior loop in the video was TOO Broughton for me - up tempo and conflicting note pitch, but the rest sounds to really fit the attraction (Martin waits for a better recording to give him a shout)

The new scenes complement the attraction and it`s previous versions well. The new, larger TV lounge was a surprise and the new single cinema fits in well (though the `busy-ness` of the old version is missed. The computer rooms fit in well and seem well designed. Is that a bit of forced perspective I see? The transition to the home computer garage is unclear in the video so I can`t comment. The acsent to 180top - what`s that? Is it a speed tunnel? Are there any liquid neon effects or similar left?

Good old 180top is still there, but it is a real missed opportunity not to bring the space station back into play. It`d end 180top perfectly with the computer room still in mind. There dosn`t have to be a robot-arm controlling girl in a window, but the show set itself would work perfectly with the feel of the rest of the top of the attraction, and really have the effect the original did - of exiting space and beginning the return. And one more word: Satellite!

Yes, the return. It says something when the videographer concentrates on the sceen for the descent. The video itself....hmm. The flagship of the park needs more than cartoons. Photo-realistic video should be the order of the day. Siemens are state of the art arn`t they? I`m sure the technology involved is very impressive, but you do feel it`s more of a poll for the sponsor rather than enjoying the ride. Far be it for me to say if they want polls they could get them at the exit, but it does come across as heavy handed. Including Dench's virtual demand you participate.

The descent itself - come February if nothing has appeared I think a storming of Guest Relations is in order. Until then the jury is out. Who's to say the attraction won`t close tomorrow until Christmas, then remain shut for a month? I really hope so. My thought of the importance of the descent are posted above, as are those of others. Spaceship Earth is the flagship of the park. The icon. It should have the finale to end all finales. Not a darkened opinion poll.

sarahwiggles99

This is my opinion just based on watching the video:

-I noticed some of you mentioned that you didn't understand why they took your picture at the beginning and then you didn't see it again. I think that they are doing something experimental with that and I tihnk at some point when they have the create your future thing at the end, they will someday try to insert peoples faces into the characters to make them look like you. I dunno, just a thought.
-The AA are very good, no complaints.
-The narration...Boring. More like getting a lecture at school. Judi Dench is okay, not great. There needs to be a little bit more emotion in what she is saying in order to capture the people's attention.
-Not much to say about the touch screen. I think I agree with the vandalism idea...:lookaroun
-The soundtrack. Well, not great. Forgettable for sure. My main music taste in life is movie soundtracks and rides and I've probably listened to hundreds so I know what to me is a good music score and not. And this...well not. I really didn't like the transition from the choral type music in the european scene to the factory jolly music. That really just confused me.
-The signage outside was not really that impressive.
-It seemed like everything was about Siemens.:shrug:

I don't know. Overall I'm not too impressed, but I'll not make a complete judgement until I ride it myself.

Mr.EPCOT

Avoiding the ascent safety screens in the tunnel, I`m sad to see the Dawn of Time projections go. Yes, they were 1982 vintage, but they had such an impact with their mysterious morphing effect and the way they seemed to float above you. I guess the lightening fx have gone too?

It's still there, Martin. :)

I love how up until very recently, everyone has been "Oh, Siemens is the savior of Spaceship Earth! All hail Siemens!" And now that everyone has seen where they are going with SSE, it's now suddenly, "Oh, that super-greedy stupid Siemens corporation!"

wickedfan07

Spaceship Earth: Closed for Refurbishment [December 9, 2007 to December 31, 2007]
Spaceship Earth: Closed for Refurbishment [January 1, 2008 to January 31, 2008]
Spaceship Earth: Closed for Refurbishment [February 1, 2008 to February 18, 2008]

See those dates? That means the ride is still closed until February 18. Today is December 9th--that's 10 full weeks. Yes, Disney told the Sentinel "The will fall next week." But that doesn't mean its opening. If SSE Cast Members are being trained and have shiny new costumes, they could very easily stick one or two of them out front everyday until mid-February. If all exterior construction is done, why should they keep a plain white wall up? There are still two months of work to do on that ride, a lot of your complaints could turn around and get fixed. The ride is NOT done.

That said, if you don't like it (and live in Florida), go and try to get on a preview, and when you take the WDI poll at the end, express your concerns! (Do they let you fill out comment cards about closed atractions?) I know WDI skims these forums, and if they do...well, they must have a headache.

What I'm saying: its perfectly okay to express your concerns here. If you can get there or already plan to be there and you're lucky, take a ride. (A video NEVER does a ANY ride justice.) If you haven't ridden it, reserve judgement until you have. If you have ridden it, remember that the ride is still under construction. I just feel like its crazy that there's so much negativity from everyone based on one video. Its okay to be dissatisfied with it, but you can't demand that all of the Imagineers on the project be fired or the screens be vandalized immediately upon the new ride's opening (two comments I noticed while skimming parts of the thread) without having seen it yourself.

I have not looked at pictures or seen video. I have read some of your comments from other threads. I am not reading anymore about this because I want to enjoy my first ride on the new SSE whenever I get back to WDW. Unfortunately, the first real ride for a lot of people here will be soured by expectations and opinions they forumlated based on other's opinions on this message board.

Horizonstta

I gave it 5 rides yesterday and agree with most comments above.

- I thought the first half of the attraction was amazing. The updates and new sets were great.

- I love the score and think it fits well with the attraction (but I am a huge Bruce Broughton fan).

- I am not a big fan of the narration or the new script.

- The last half of the ride is boring and was a HUGE letdown for me. Perhaps there will be new lighting effects when the ride officially opens, but I am skeptical. Right now, the video screen either asks questions for you to answer, or otherwise shows content the entire way down. Thus, if you don't want to miss that part of the "attraction," then you are constantly looking at the screen, rather than enjoying whatever lighting effects are in place. It seems that was the intent at least. I hope I am terribly wrong.

alphac2005

Unfortunately, the first real ride for a lot of people here will be soured by expectations and opinions they forumlated based on other's opinions on this message board.

Exactly. I've already seen the posts of disappointment that Tomorrow's Child isn't there. Just because some rumors started on the Internet, it didn't mean that it was going to be there.

PBarton

So, what happens if you ignore the touch-screen during the descent? :shrug:

Somebody should stand outside Spaceship Earth holding a sign saying "Do not use the touch-screen at the end of the ride" If only a small percentage of guests use the screen, WDI would have to do something to improve the end portion of the ride..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom