Spaceship Earth - my opinions of the refurb - very very dissapointing

Enigma

Account Suspended
The new SSE is a mixed bag. They did a SUPERB job with the audio animatronics and the first two acts of the ride but the descent area is unacceptable.

The video screen/interactive thing is absurd and forgettable and whats the point of having those big video screens at the beginning ascension tunnel when the new screens in the cars can do the exact same thing??? Wouldn't it be better show to have them give there warnings on the screens? They should also offer closed caption options on the video screens as well..right now they are not making the most of the unnecessary screens.

The other problem with the attraction is the narration. It is nowhere near as memorable or iconic as any of the previous versions. The new narrative is extremly low brow and way to casual for what is supposed to be a majestic ride through the history of technology.

Finally, What could possibly be the reason to NOT bring back the Space Station scene at the end of the ride. It would tie in PERFECTLY with the new technology storyline and be a better ending to the main ride than what currently exists. Some of the structures are already in place. Bring back the Spacestation and update it so that guests will have more to look at in the attraction. Most guests want to see real three dimensional stuff like AA's and fully realized sets as well practicle effects happening around them. They can play with much better touch screens and interactive stuff at home.

Pete C

I am disappointed that they didn't smooth out the experience. The ride system is so creaky, loud, bumpy, and uncomfortable on your noggin...it just doesn't lend itself to any sort of futuristic experience. If there was ONE THING they should have addressed it should have been that. This leaves me with little hope for Space Mountain getting any smoother when it goes under the knife.

blm07

I'm trying NOT to read the reviews before riding, but I've heard the first half is great and the descent is pretty much blank.

Maybe they should give up on trying to tell a story just before the finale, turn the TV off, fire up the fog machines and strobe lights, and play In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida until you unload.

Expo_Seeker40

Enigma,

Until someone takes a flash photo of the former space station area....I still have to go with the story of a person who rode SSE in late June and looked back and saw that the window with the girl in it had been removed. :eek: This would corrospond at the same time Siemens was doing some small restoration and fix up work on SSE at the time.

Also from seeing some semi clean video of the ride's new ending...I can't help but wonder if the space station roof has been removed as well.

I;m sure all 8 walls of the octagonal shaft are still there, but it seems everything has been stripped right down to the sound proof walled frame and the pin board stars attatched to the walls.

The pin boards are nice, but they are SOOOO random up there! The pinboard walls used to be at the very end of the ride from 1982-1994. Right past where the Spaceship Earth model was from 1994-2007. In 1994 the pinboards were taken out and the soundproof wall panneling was covered over with black curtains. :cry:

If anything....we have the family watching the moon landing...the computer room of the late 60s...and the PC invention in the late 70s.

Why can't they do a scene from the moon. They can do dimly lit green and white 3D moonrock sets. A satelite prop and astronaut. The space station doesn't have to come back as nothing remains of it....however they could fill in the octagonal shaft with moon rock props as it would look like we were going into a crater...and with the space station roof removed we could easily see up into the planeterium! :sohappy:

The videoscreens SHOULD NOT be turning on until after we are fully out of 180top and into the former gas clouds room. Having them turn on in the former space station scene...with all those cool pin board lights...makes it hard to focus on a cool scene versus a survey!

epcotpalms

I was speaking with a SSE cast member and she told be the scenes during the descent were taken out by the night crew by accident hence the ending we see today. I also tried to verify this with a WDI cast member which I received "we are still in the testing phase" response. Avioded the questions all together.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I was speaking with a SSE cast member and she told be the scenes during the descent were taken out by the night crew by accident hence the ending we see today. I also tried to verify this with a WDI cast member which I received "we are still in the testing phase" response. Avioded the questions all together.
man, that would be really really hard for me to believe. that probably couldnt be accomplished in one night and besides, some forman would know the bigger scheme.

this isnt orange trees outside of DL with a "keep ribbon" on them.... to be mistaken as "cut down ribbon".

EpcotServo

The ending has relied on lighting and a musical score since the Cronkite version. But it also had depth: SSE V. 2 invited us to dream of Tomorrow's Child, while V. 3 hinted at future communication technology (and the easy access to holograms is still futuristic). The lighting effects, surrounding screens, and static figures surrounded the riders*

*NOTE: Surrounded here meaning everywhere except above you and to the left.

:lol:

Buford

man, that would be really really hard for me to believe. that probably couldnt be accomplished in one night and besides, some forman would know the bigger scheme.

this isnt orange trees outside of DL with a "keep ribbon" on them.... to be mistaken as "cut down ribbon".
I also doubt the CM's information. the goal is to look at the screens; anything else would be distracting and weak

Well, when my family and I rode The Seas with Nemo and Friends durring the soft openings (or when it first opened, not sure anymore), we were very dissapointed with everything. But on out following trip, we brought my niece and her parents. My niece wanted to go on, and despite how much we all hated the ride, we went on it anyway. As it turns out, we were all blown away with how much better it looked (the angler fish did not move our previous visit, and me and my mother were scared out of our wits when we saw it move for the first time). The effects were good, all things that moved were moving (besides Chum), and it was just overall great.

My point is, it's a soft opening, and much might still need to be done. If or when the next time you ride SSE, I'm sure it'll be better than it already is. Just think positively. :)

lentesta

Premium Member
Someone may have beaten me to this but doesnt the video look like a cheap rip off of the Jetsons?

Some of our researchers saw it this weekend during Mousefest. I was going to use that line in the book. Now it's just plagiarism. :ROFLOL:

Len

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom