spaceship earth end not done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
a coaster exiting out of the side of SSE... who would believe the possibilities of that actually happening :lookaroun

yoda. yes, that does take me back too. man, has it been 4 years now.
Pretty close to that. Remember all the predictions of how the Land was being destroyed, no one wanted another cloned attraction, who in their right mind would want to see flight simulator over California in Florida, blah, blah, blah. Now we fast forward to 2008 and the land is constantly packed and Saorin has 90 minute waits 365 day per year.

bigtotoro

Man, if posting breaking news from your friend's sidekick while at Epcot doesn't make you a bada--, I don't know what does.
I'm pretty sure it does not. Matter of fact, posting anything on a Disney themed message board is about as anti-bada** as it gets.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Pretty close to that. Remember all the predictions of how the Land was being destroyed, no one wanted another cloned attraction, who in their right mind would want to see flight simulator over California in Florida, blah, blah, blah. Now we fast forward to 2008 and the land is constantly packed and Saorin has 90 minute waits 365 day per year.
what losers... :lookaroun

:D

jt04

I'm pretty sure it does not. Matter of fact, posting anything on a Disney themed message board is about as anti-bada** as it gets.

Ohhhh thanks for explaining that. I didn't pick up the on the humor from WDWfigment :lookaroun

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Ohhhh thanks for explaining that. I didn't pick up the on the humor from WDWfigment :lookaroun

I just noticed that you're on post #999. (There's always room for one more! :lol: ) Happy 1,000th post when you reach it and don't forget to make it something good! :D :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
People, could we please stay on topic? If you just want to chit chat, there's a forum for it. Thank you. :)

aladdin2007

Anyone know by any chance if they replaced the line "remember your abc's? You can thank the Phoenicians"? Out of the entire new narration thats the only thing I can not tolerate. Most people probably dont care I know, but its just too dumbed down there and tacky or something.:shrug:
The old line I wished they had kept was all roads lead to Rome, but other than that I enjoy the new narration.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Anyone know by any chance if they replaced the line "remember your abc's? You can thank the Phoenicians"? Out of the entire new narration thats the only thing I can not tolerate. Most people probably dont care I know, but its just too dumbed down there and tacky or something.:shrug:
The old line I wished they had kept was all roads lead to Rome, but other than that I enjoy the new narration.

I rode SSE a month ago and that line stood out to me as well! I wasn't sure why it struck a chord with me, but perhaps you're right. It does seem a little more 'dumbed down' than the rest of the narration. Maybe it's just the inflection Dame Judy used when she was speaking? :shrug:

Sorry, I do not have the answer if it's still on the current narration, but as of last month when I was there it was. :wave:

CaptainMichael

I really don't understand the issue with this line. It's a line that any English speaking person (adult or child) can easily connect with because we've all had to do it, and it's all thanks to the Phoenicians.

:shrug:

hpyhnt 1000

I really don't understand the issue with this line. It's a line that any English speaking person (adult or child) can easily connect with because we've all had to do it, and it's all thanks to the Phoenicians.

It's just that some, including me, feel that that line is out of place. SSE is meant to be a SERIOUS attraction that looks at how we have evolved over time as a race. A line like this which attempts a weak form of humor doesn't work. If the tone of SSE was more along the lines of the late World of Motion, then it would work. But SSE is meant to be grand and serious, not simple and funny.

Expo_Seeker40

I am a supporter of the Dame Judi Narration....SORT OF

I recently sat down and listened to the 1982 Perrin, 1986 Cronkite, and 1994 Irons version.

I can see why the Vic Perrin version went out the window. My God, I the Epcot nerd had trouble listening to that. Very dry and scientific, bland and trying to be dramatic.

Alot of people say they like the Cronkite version....why? Just because it has Tomorrow's Child in it, which actually comes in very randomly as a theme song for a ride that Walter Cronkite narrates with very basic and dry facts?

I found the Jeremy Irons version to be the best one. It is a combination of the 1982 and 1986 versions.

Irons makes it like we are in a story and he is the third person, he uses eloquent dilaogue as well as various facts.

The Dench version is a postivie, warm, and upbeat version.

We are on a journey and she is our guide...a sort of mother or grandmotherly figure.

However those lines "abcs thank the pheonecians, world wide web, backup system" each seemed childish, dummed down, and very out of place.

There is alot of nice dialogue in her narration, but those 3 lines stood out badly. :eek:

dxwwf3

I can see why the Vic Perrin version went out the window. My God, I the Epcot nerd had trouble listening to that. Very dry and scientific, bland and trying to be dramatic.

Alot of people say they like the Cronkite version....why? Just because it has Tomorrow's Child in it, which actually comes in very randomly as a theme song for a ride that Walter Cronkite narrates with very basic and dry facts?

I really wish I could have heard the Perrin version in person. I really like the scientific and technical tone to the narration. And I think Cronkite did a wonderful job as well. His voice suited the attraction very well, IMO.

With all that said, Irons is the best narration for my money.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender

I've always been very fond of this narration as well, but I believe you hit the nail on the head. The entire attraction during the 'Cronkite Era' was my favorite. It's more of a total package deal because you can't think of Cronkite's narration without thinking of Tomorrow's Child (personal favorite), the details of the 180-top, etc.

Everytime I think of my favorite EPCOT attractions, I picture leaning back in my Time Machine vehicle, watching the tube lighting on the wall of the loading area beckoning me to look up, beyond and into the darkness, and hearing Cronkite say, "For eons, the planet has drifted as a spaceship through the universe. And for a brief moment, we have been it's passengers..."

Ahhhh, I love it.

wannab@dis

I don't get it either... I noticed it during our preview ride and thought it was refreshing to not be so preachy. Still would have liked to have heard Jean Luc! :D

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I've always been very fond of this narration as well, but I believe you hit the nail on the head. The entire attraction during the 'Cronkite Era' was my favorite. It's more of a total package deal because you can't think of Cronkite's narration without thinking of Tomorrow's Child (personal favorite), the details of the 180-top, etc.

Everytime I think of my favorite EPCOT attractions, I picture leaning back in my Time Machine vehicle, watching the tube lighting on the wall of the loading area beckoning me to look up, beyond and into the darkness, and hearing Cronkite say, "For eons, the planet has drifted as a spaceship through the universe. And for a brief moment, we have been it's passengers..."

Ahhhh, I love it.

I knew I would never like the Irons narration as much the first time I went under Michelangelo and I didn't hear Cronkite say, "Behold the majesty of the Sistine Chapel!" I actually like Dench's narration. I never thought there was much life to the Irons version, but I seem to be in a very small minority.

Skyway

those lines "abcs thank the pheonecians, world wide web, backup system" each seemed childish, dummed down, and very out of place.
:eek:

I think the problem most old-school Epcot fans have is that they're understandably stuck on the ride's OLD storyline, and have difficulty seeing the newer, diffferent story. (I think a first-time rider would look at the new SSE in a much different way than we do)

The new ride's theme is summed up in the first line: "Where are we going? And how did we get there?"

Instead of a look at communication history, the new SSE story tries to show modern riders how we arrived at the technology we've got today.

The narrator is speaking to us passengers in 2008, demonstrating how our laptops, iPods, and cellphones were born (and how those stepping stones will lead to future advancements).

As we're traveling through the "historical" periods, the narrator must frequently remind us that the scenes we're looking at (ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, etc) have relevance to our modern lives. THIS IS HOW SSE DIFFERS FROM THE OLD VERSION. The narrator uses 2008 references to hit home just how important those primitive advancements ultimately were to modern man.

Papyrus is foreign to us now, but that invention led to "record-keeping and unfortunately, taxes"...which IS part of our daily lives. She could have also said papyrus "led to inkjet printers that allow us to reproduce photographs of ourselves and loved ones." The narrator is not making a "joke" about taxes. She's drawing a line between ancient Egypt and 2008.

Likewise, the Romans accelerated the sharing of information between people far from each other---just like the "world wide web" does today. It's not a joke. It's another example of how we got to our current technology.

Same with the "back-up" libraries in the Middle East. Back then, handwritten books were duplicated and stored in a separate location, so when the originals were destroyed, we still had copies. That same ancient concept is at the heart of today's "hard drive" technology.

As for that line "Remember how easy it was to learn your ABC's?" With today's global technology, we may not all speak the same language, but most of those languages are made up of the same building blocks: A-B-C-D-E-etc. The computer keyboard I'm using right now would not have been possible without the Phoenicians.

As Imagineer Marc Davis stated, in theme park rides like PotC, riders need to understand the point of the scene as quickly as possible. On SSE, in just nine short words, the narrator explains why three bearded men on boats holding scrolls have relevance to my modern-day life.

As I said earlier, for us who are familiar with looking at these animatronics and sets, the new narration is starkly different. But it's SUPPOSED to be, because it's telling a new story.

In a nutshell, the Jeremy Irons story was "Cave paintings led to papyrus, which led to scrolls, which led to theater scripts and the arts, which led to a giant distribution system, which led to sharing the same ideas in distant lands, which led to books, then to an a primitive printing press, then to an industrial printing press, then the telegraph, telephone, movies, TV, and the internet."

The Judy Dench story is : "Cave paintings were a good start, but they would not have been compatible with our modern mobile lifestyle. Papyrus led to modern record-keeping. The Phonecians helped us all vaguely speak the same language today. The Greek's mathematics led to modern engineering and computer technology. The Romans began the process of disseminating information across great distances, which we've improved on with the internet. Middle Easterners first saw the value of backing up data, as we do today. The printing press and books helped spread information quickly, just as we're still striving to do. After the Industrial Revolution, technology advanced quickly, from telegraph to space travel to home computers and beyond."

I gotta say, I think the new SSE story is actually much deeper, complex, relevant, and better told than any previous version. It's even more amazing when you consider the Imagineers had to develop that new story around existing ride elements.
Since they couldn't rebuild SSE from scratch, their hands were often tied, but they still pulled off a new storyline.

The only thing that would make the attraction tell an even better story would be to somehow incorporate a cave painting at the very end of the ride, either along the walls or in the touchscreen video, to bring the journey full-circle and dramatically show just how far we've advanced technology.

the-reason14

I was wayyyyyy to young to remember the version before Irons, but does anyone know where you can find an mp3 audio of the entire cronkite narration, a plus for a video( I doubt it though) I already have the Irons version, and would like to have the version before that if its possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom