Spaceship Earth CLOSED July 9 through November 1, 2007

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
C`mon, there are 2 main attractions down during the summer.... in separate parks. The HM is too overdue it`s overhaul - any longer and safety could be an issue. The MKs refurb schedule is a mess due to MILF; the HM should have been finished soon, not starting. Things happen. There is a chance it may not last another year without some major TLC. I admit if maintainence had been given the resources to keep on top of it things wouldn`t have gotten to this stage, but they have, and it can`t wait much longer.

SSE has been closed twice for an overhaul in 25 years. Not bad going. The last one was roughly the same length at roughly the same time of year. It needs it. It`ll have to close during someones holiday no matter when. It`ll be closed when I`m there for the first time in 6 years. Yes, I`m upset. But it has to be done, and hopefully signs are it`ll be all the better for it. Epcot could be entering another small golden age - it`s 3rd age - after the amazing first version but lackluster second version. It needs it. Once the park is self sustaining again, and the MK has an up to date SM and HM attention can hopefully be turned to the Worlds third park.

EPCOT_Man

C`mon, there are 2 main attractions down during the summer.... in separate parks. The HM is too overdue it`s overhaul - any longer and safety could be an issue. The MKs refurb schedule is a mess due to MILF; the HM should have been finished soon, not starting. Things happen. There is a chance it may not last another year without some major TLC. I admit if maintainence had been given the resources to keep on top of it things wouldn`t have gotten to this stage, but they have, and it can`t wait much longer.

SSE has been closed twice for an overhaul in 25 years. Not bad going. The last one was roughly the same length at roughly the same time of year. It needs it. It`ll have to close during someones holiday no matter when. It`ll be closed when I`m there for the first time in 6 years. Yes, I`m upset. But it has to be done, and hopefully signs are it`ll be all the better for it. Epcot could be entering another small golden age - it`s 3rd age - after the amazing first version but lackluster second version. It needs it. Once the park is self sustaining again, and the MK has an up to date SM and HM attention can hopefully be turned to the Worlds third park.

Which is none other than Disney MGM Studios.

tirian

AMEN! Both attractions need to be refurbed ASAP. Furthermore, it's more important to have them operating during Christmas/New Year's than during the summer.

MattyFresh

so if I am reading this right......you guys are saying that both SSE and HM will be closed when I go in Oct??? Ummmm, can I get a refund???

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
so if I am reading this right......you guys are saying that both SSE and HM will be closed when I go in Oct??? Ummmm, can I get a refund???
No - the HM should be finished and open by October. SSE will open sometime in November (even the official date is a bit hazy at the mo)

WDWFigment

I think far to many people here just live in the now. You want to always be able to ride the best attractions, and you also always want them to be in tip-top shape. Well, there's an implicit contradiction there. I'm going in August, and both will be closed--oh well. I know the next time I go (yes, distant future can be a difficult concept) both attractions will be all the better. I'm actually glad SSE has a prolonged closure; to me, it means the new product will be all that much better!

hokielutz

So does anyone know why there is going to be a 4 day closure in May? Why not just wait and close it for one period of time than have a partial week closure. Will this be for measurements or wiring installation in prep for the two long closures? vehicle replacement?

bayoutinkbelle

This is terrible. What a waste. SE can use the updates but unless they are completely redoing the track and the cars, it doesn't make sense to close it down. Any display which actively going through construction could be blacked out with tarps.

I can't wait for the wand to come down, but it was good for a while. (just overstayed it's welcome). EPCOT is by far the best park, and offers the guest the most unique experiences in all of WDW, but never seems to get the attention that MK, AK, and MGM receive.

What gives? As far as I know, Walt never dreamed of a park about movies or animals. But EPCOT was a Walt original ... seems like it should clearly be #2 on the priority list for WDW.

*sigh* :brick:

jmvd20

How come home makeover can build a house in 7 days, and the mouse men cant paint a few 2x4's in 6 months! Get Ty Pennington!

I hope this is sarcasm - anyone who would seriously think this knows absolutely nothing about any type of construction. Home makeover in no way shape or form compares to what must be done at SSE.

Also just to let you know - the "mouse men" do a very good job overall in terms of completing projects quickly.

Rob562

So does anyone know why there is going to be a 4 day closure in May? Why not just wait and close it for one period of time than have a partial week closure. Will this be for measurements or wiring installation in prep for the two long closures? vehicle replacement?

A lot of wiring can be done in the overnight hours leading up to the July closure. My guess is probably that they need to get in there for measurements and possibly also set up some temporary structures or mock-ups of the finale. (perhaps the first mini closure is for measurements, then the second time is for mock-ups?) If scaffolding is involved or anything above the track, it's probably easier to just close the attraction for a few days rather than take it down every night so it can re-open the next day. This way they can work out sightlines for the finale areas. That will give them a couple months to fabricate the new set pieces before the attraction closes in July to install.

Also, it sounds like there may be some new effects involved in the finale. As I've learned in my years doing community theater tech work, you can do a lot of planning on paper and mock-ups in the shop. But until you can actually get into the final space and try it out, there's no way to know what minor tweaks may have to be done in order to get it to look right. It's like the Nemo subs out in Disneyland. How long did they have a temporary setup with one of the subs sitting in the lagoon to test out the underwater effects?

-Rob

jmvd20

Also, it sounds like there may be some new effects involved in the finale. As I've learned in my years doing community theater tech work, you can do a lot of planning on paper and mock-ups in the shop. But until you can actually get into the final space and try it out, there's no way to know what minor tweaks may have to be done in order to get it to look right. It's like the Nemo subs out in Disneyland. How long did they have a temporary setup with one of the subs sitting in the lagoon to test out the underwater effects?

-Rob

How true that is, I have seen months of planning ruined over such small items as a mis-surveyed measurement only a half inch off, or orignal blueprints not being accurate as to what was actually built.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I just enoyed the experience of having a TD build my scenic design based off a quickie white model I built to show the actors rather then the CAD-drafted plans becaue I work in AutoCad and he knew Vector Works. That was a bit nightmarish.

Fried Chicken

I am going to join the wine section by saying that i think its a little unfair to the september travelers to be screwed out of the haunted mansion and spaceship earth!
BooHoo.

I've visited Disneyland when both Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, the Mark Twain, the Tiki Room and the Disneyland Railroad were all closed. If I can handle it, then some really need to suck it up.

jmvd20

BooHoo.

I've visited Disneyland when both Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, the Mark Twain, the Tiki Room and the Disneyland Railroad were all closed. If I can handle it, then some really need to suck it up.

I've been there when the front gates were closed...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom