Spaceship Earth CLOSED July 9 through November 1, 2007

majortom1981

Yay

It will be open when I go during july 4 week. I am glad disney made the right descision .I kept hearing how insane that week is.

Lol please no air gates. I hate airgates. On some coasters all it takes is for a park guest to push the airgate to hard and break the pump and the whole ride is down.

Looks like ill have to ride sse that week a whole bunch of times :)

ead79

I am really glad to see Spaceship Earth get some TLC. It is my favorite Disney attraction, and I'm thrilled that they aren't going to change the basic concept and style of the attraction. Also, though I wish I had one more chance to ride it in its current state, it looks like it will probably be open for my December trip, which makes me very happy!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I am really glad to see Spaceship Earth get some TLC. It is my favorite Disney attraction, and I'm thrilled that they aren't going to change the basic concept and style of the attraction. Also, though I wish I had one more chance to ride it in its current state, it looks like it will probably be open for my December trip, which makes me very happy!
December is a pretty safe bet...any time in November is still a bit iffy though (except perhaps Thanksgiving Day...).

jmvd20

Does that seem like a short amount of time to anybody else? I have a feeling that this big update isn't going to be all that different...

As much as I love Space Ship Earth, I was really hoping for a quiter, and altogether more polished ride system.

It will be closed for 4 full months. That is a large amount of time to work with. I was shocked to see that it is going to be down for that long a period of time. Based upon that they have ample time to make major changes - I am not saying that is what will happen, just that the time frame will allow it.

majortom1981

hmm

Disney can get it done. I have faith in them. Its not like they are redoing the whole ride.

As long as they dont run into major problems its a long enough amount of tiem .

redsfan4life

I have great timing this year . First Haunted Mansion and now Spaceship Earth closed for me and my wifes 1st anniversary after honeymooning at disney last year. Yes I like that they are getting the TLC but why 2 of my favorites and more importantly my wifes attractions at the same trip in Sept.:( :cry:

jmvd20

I have great timing this year . First Haunted Mansion and now Spaceship Earth closed for me and my wifes 1st anniversary after honeymooning at disney last year. Yes I like that they are getting the TLC but why 2 of my favorites and more importantly my wifes attractions at the same trip in Sept.:( :cry:

It's a bloody conspiracy I tell ya! :lookaroun

It could be much worse - you could be stuck here in Ohio all year - at work instead of getting to go to WDW...

HinunterZuNich

Of course it closes on July 9, my birthday! It would have been worse if I was in WDW on my birthday and it was the first day the ride was closed LOL.

Anyway, I'm VERY siked for this upgrade and I know that no matter what Spaceship Earth will continue to be THE RIDE of Walt Disney World.

StageFrenzy

I hope they stand Michaelangelo up when he is painting the ceiling. It's historically inaccurate, as my art history professor likes to harp

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
well September IS an off-season...

Rob562

If those are the dates, imagine how fast they will have to work. I know they'll clean everything in there really well. That alone could take months. Also, has anyone built something big, like a recording studio? I imagine that there is a ton of fiber, DMX cabling, electrical, analog audio, etc. Not to mention the track system. Even if you wanted to, you couldn't just throw a ton of people at the job. There is only so much room in there not taken up by objects. Extreme coordination will be necessary, as dependencies for systems will make things interesting. I'd love to see their PERT diagram for that job. Imagine the project ,4 months to update everything that has needed it since the last major rehab.

* Track maintenence.
* Lighting and show elements.
* costume and scene object cleaning and restoration.
* General building maintenence.
* Testing, testing testing.
* Training and user testing.

Now, as we've all done projects of our own small and large, you know it doesn't always go as planned. I would wait until closer to November to predict a real date. If they have any point where a dependency or entire production must wait, the project would see some delay.

Well, a number of those items can be done in the overnight shifts between now and the full-out closure in July. In fact, some people have already mentioned seeing both broken effects returning as well as motions being restored to animatronics that hadn't worked for years. Some cabling and lighting installations can be done overnight, costumes can be switched out, minor scene work can be done. In fact, someone recently said that there had been Wet Paint signs left at the bottom of the descent tunnel just before unload.

It's just the major work that needs the entire attraction shut down that'll be done between July and November.

-Rob

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Well, a number of those items can be done in the overnight shifts between now and the full-out closure in July. In fact, some people have already mentioned seeing both broken effects returning as well as motions being restored to animatronics that hadn't worked for years. Some cabling and lighting installations can be done overnight, costumes can be switched out, minor scene work can be done. In fact, someone recently said that there had been Wet Paint signs left at the bottom of the descent tunnel just before unload.

It's just the major work that needs the entire attraction shut down that'll be done between July and November.

-Rob
...such as the installation of the hydraulic launch from 0 to 80 in 1.3 seconds and seven inversions. Halfway through the ride, a disembodied voice proclaims "attention travellers, your vehicle will now rotate backwards for your return to Earth" as the train rockets down 180 feet backwards to escape the invading aliens at the top of the Geosphere.

majortom1981

hmm

If full rollercoaster can be installed and tested in 4 - 5 months then updating sse should take that long.

We dont even know what kind of stuff is being changed on the ride besides the touch screens.

We know some of the scenes are being changed but for all we know the new parts of the scenes could be done already and just waiting to be installed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom