Spaceship Earth CLOSED July 9 through November 1, 2007

mitchk

:sohappy: I'll be there May 20 - 27, I'm glad I'll get to ride (it's one of my favorites, my girl always complains about it, but whenever I say lets get on Spaceship Earth, she always does) I guess I won't see anything changed since it will only be closed 4 days prior to my visit. Probably just a few touch ups at that point.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If full rollercoaster can be installed and tested in 4 - 5 months then updating sse should take that long..
Believe it or not, SSE is much more complicated. Constrained space, nowhere to put more than a few ride vehicles at once - imagine taking 3 cars off the track. Working on the track. Then having to move the Omni chain along to work on the next section (I`m not even sure an Omnimover can move with a gap in it) - there`s what.... 151 cars?

Apparently the ride issue is with the Omni boggies, not the track. We`ll see, but I dare say it`s been 25 years since the ride system was completley stripped and overhauled.

Add to that everything going in or out has to be after park hours, unless they close one half of the parks main entrance pathway. Vehicles, show sets, - no matter how big or small, it has to fit through the entry or exit tubes, or the service elevator.

Add to that any AA programming will probably have to take place in situ - and this takes weeks.

One things for sure; she needs it, and hopefully she will get what the old lady needs.

25 years young :)

She is a she isn`t she?

majortom1981

hmm

I dont remember sse being rough when i was on it in august.

Ill make sure i pay attention though when i go in the first week of july.

Are they completely replacing the cars or just revamping the current ones?

All I am saying is i can see it only taking 4 months.

Also are these redone scenes going to have complicated aa's?

wickedfan07

I'm very excited to hear that we finally have dates for this refurb, and I'm also excited because my trip (June 23-30) will be just about unaffected. Now the only disappointment I have is the Haunted Mansion, but I can live with that. I'm very excited to see how this turns out.:eek:

SDav10495

Are they completely replacing the cars or just revamping the current ones?

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that the vehicles themselves are changing to include the "Choose Your Future" touch screens. I don't think they're fully replacing the entire Omnimover chain because the press release only mentions touch screens being "installed aboard each 'time machine'" (there's probably no need to go through all the trouble of rebuilding the chain if they can figure out a way to just attach the screens). However, that's still a lot of work...certainly more than just refurbishing scenes.

bayoutinkbelle

Looks like I'll just get in before the closure. Our summer trip ends on July 8. My son will be happy to ride it this summer and I'll be thrilled to ride the new version in early February. :sohappy:

imagineer boy

GREAT NEWS. SSE is finally getting the love it deserves. Its such a great attraction.

Now if they'll only work on Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan...

BTW, does anyone know if they'll do something to the soundtrack? I REALLY hope not, because I simply love the current soudtrack as it is.

JML42691

GREAT NEWS. SSE is finally getting the love it deserves. Its such a great attraction.

Now if they'll only work on Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan...

BTW, does anyone know if they'll do something to the soundtrack? I REALLY hope not, because I simply love the current soudtrack as it is.
To fill you in, they are refurbing HM, just about the same time period that SSE is going to be down.

mickeysaver

If it reopens on November 2nd, that would be cool, since it's my 40th birthday. Since Disney screwed up my plans to see Wishes that night, it would be cool to be among the first to ride SE in it's newly rehabbed form. Maggie

ciscobee

This is terrible. What a waste. SE can use the updates but unless they are completely redoing the track and the cars, it doesn't make sense to close it down. Any display which actively going through construction could be blacked out with tarps.

I can't wait for the wand to come down, but it was good for a while. (just overstayed it's welcome). EPCOT is by far the best park, and offers the guest the most unique experiences in all of WDW, but never seems to get the attention that MK, AK, and MGM receive.

What gives? As far as I know, Walt never dreamed of a park about movies or animals. But EPCOT was a Walt original ... seems like it should clearly be #2 on the priority list for WDW.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
This is terrible. What a waste. SE can use the updates but unless they are completely redoing the track and the cars, it doesn't make sense to close it down. Any display which actively going through construction could be blacked out with tarps.

I can't wait for the wand to come down, but it was good for a while. (just overstayed it's welcome). EPCOT is by far the best park, and offers the guest the most unique experiences in all of WDW, but never seems to get the attention that MK, AK, and MGM receive.

What gives? As far as I know, Walt never dreamed of a park about movies or animals. But EPCOT was a Walt original ... seems like it should clearly be #2 on the priority list for WDW.
um...what? To...all that, really...

They are doing work on the cars, Epcot arguably has received the most attention in recent years, and Walt was all about movies and animals...ever heard of Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures? It's the reason Adventureland was to originally be called True-Life Adventureland, and the Jungle Cruise was to have real animals.

;)

This entire statement is SO wrong and misinformed on SO many levels! You need to research your EPCOT and Walt Disney history a bit more thoroughly before making claims thats are basically severly incorrect.

Walt was a MAJOR fan of animals, and CERTAINLY dreamed of creating his own guest/animal interactive experiences....this was a guiding factor in the creation of Animal Kingdom. As for EPCOT, no incarnation of the theme park is anything close to the concept Walt left behind. Walt was out to create a utopia of sorts, people working, living, and playing in a "modern" community...not the futuristic technology/world showcase display it came to be. Good thing! Can you imagine that retro Xanadu-like cluster of confusion littering the property?!

gotribe07

Ok, whoever made the decision to have HM and SSE closed at the same time (during peak summer season nonetheless) should be put on the unemployment line immediately!

First of all, you don't close dont a major attraction during the summer for an extended period of time. 45% of all WDW attendence comes from June through August so you would figure that WDW would want to be running at full capacity.

I understand that HM needed to go down and it had to be in the summer.. .ok ill give you that one. BUT SSE? Come on! You just built a brand new post-show and now it's going to be used for 3 months and then go down again. That makes no sense to me at all.

What's next? The Great Movie Ride and It's Tough to Be a Bug will be shut down next for a summer rehab?

I just remember how about 7 years ago a summer rehab was unheard of due to the high capcity of guests. Now all of a sudden rehabs are being performed regardless of what time of year it is. Seriously, when SSE reopens in November NO ONE WILL BE THERE TO RIDE IT! How pointless is that? Why not simply wait another month or so and open it just prior to the Christmas crowds arriving?

Ok I'm done. That's where i stand

CTXRover

Ok, whoever made the decision to have HM and SSE closed at the same time (during peak summer season nonetheless) should be put on the unemployment line immediately!

First of all, you don't close dont a major attraction during the summer for an extended period of time. 45% of all WDW attendence comes from June through August so you would figure that WDW would want to be running at full capacity.

I understand that HM needed to go down and it had to be in the summer.. .ok ill give you that one. BUT SSE? Come on! You just built a brand new post-show and now it's going to be used for 3 months and then go down again. That makes no sense to me at all.

What's next? The Great Movie Ride and It's Tough to Be a Bug will be shut down next for a summer rehab?

I just remember how about 7 years ago a summer rehab was unheard of due to the high capcity of guests. Now all of a sudden rehabs are being performed regardless of what time of year it is. Seriously, when SSE reopens in November NO ONE WILL BE THERE TO RIDE IT! How pointless is that? Why not simply wait another month or so and open it just prior to the Christmas crowds arriving?

Ok I'm done. That's where i stand

It's been said on here by others before, but WDW doesn't have an extended off-season like it did in the past when a summer rehab was unheard of. While there are slower times throughout the year, there is no longer an extended period of a few months throughout the year when refurbs can be done and capacity not be affected.

SSE and HM are in two different parks and thus one being closed at one park will not affect capacity at the other park. Closing two major attractions in one park is a different story (as is routinely done at Disneyland where they still do have a more extended off season period).

Sure, summer doesn't seem like a great choice for a refurb, but SSE is staying open for the peak of summer (July 4th week) and then will be closed for July which is a busy summer month. However, by the 2nd week of August through mid October, things slow down, which is a perfect time for this refurb. If they pushed SSE's refurb back even a month, that would place it being closed during the extremely busy Thanksgiving week. Also, as planned, it will reopen during a slower period which will allow for adjustments as needed before the mass influx of people for the busiest time of year during the holidays arrive in November and Decemeber.

HM's refurb is planned to insure it reopens in time for MNSSHP and Halloween in general, so pushing that back would either interfere with Halloween or have it closed during Disney's busiest time of year during the Holidays, or if it waited until next January, a 3 month refurb could potentially interfere with the busy Spring Break period and subsequently force the other needed major refurbs at the MK (Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise) back even more.

I feel for those making the decision on when the best time to do these extended refurbs really is. There really is no perfect time period anymore. In order for these needed enhancements, it will have to be closed during somebody's vacation unfortunately.

kucarachi

Cheese and Wine Section

I am going to join the wine section by saying that i think its a little unfair to the september travelers to be screwed out of the haunted mansion and spaceship earth. They should at least give you this news back in january before you pick your vacation days. They almost never repair any major rides in winter or spring..just in summer and during halloween. But part of me knows how funky it smells in spaceship earth and i think the ride itself is made out of the same plastic as big wheels. But we are taking our nephew and he now misses 2 of the most famous rides down there! How come home makeover can build a house in 7 days, and the mouse men cant paint a few 2x4's in 6 months! Get Ty Pennington!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Pirates was closed in winter/spring 2006--Disney closes major rides when they need to, simple as that. No one is conspiring to ruin anyone's vacation. There is so much work that could be done at the parks that when they get the funding approved, they do the work. Siemens clearly does not want to mess around any longer with a dated attraction that it is pretty clear Disney had no intention of paying to fix. Everyone visits when rides are closed--I've made one of my yearly trips when Splash Mountain has been closed, and I only visit during busy periods (I've been in school the last 18 years, so I haven't really had a choice)--I was unhappy but it happens. Plenty of people will be missing out on Space Mountain closes, as that will span many busy periods...it happens.

SDav10495

How come home makeover can build a house in 7 days, and the mouse men cant paint a few 2x4's in 6 months! Get Ty Pennington!

It would take Mr. Pennington slightly longer to build those houses if he had to take 10 million visitors per year into consideration...and of course, if he worked inside a giant sphere with limited entrances and exits. :animwink:

Pirates was closed in winter/spring 2006--Disney closes major rides when they need to, simple as that. No one is conspiring to ruin anyone's vacation. There is so much work that could be done at the parks that when they get the funding approved, they do the work. Siemens clearly does not want to mess around any longer with a dated attraction that it is pretty clear Disney had no intention of paying to fix. Everyone visits when rides are closed--I've made one of my yearly trips when Splash Mountain has been closed, and I only visit during busy periods (I've been in school the last 18 years, so I haven't really had a choice)--I was unhappy but it happens. Plenty of people will be missing out on Space Mountain closes, as that will span many busy periods...it happens.

Good Night! 18 years? What in the HECK are you studying!? I bet your student loans could easily fund WDW's next E-Attraction!:D

UPDATE: Nevermind, I checked your profile....you are a year younger than moi...you were referring to your ENTIRE schooling career...K-University. Best of luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom