Spaceship Earth Burning Rome Scene

Goofnut1980

I was there the last week of September and the smell was there, BUT and I mean BUT if was faint. The machine was not producing the amount it usually does... If you ever want your house to smell that way, I bought the "fireside" candles Bath and Body Works had at christmas... That burning charring smell... YUM

Amused to Death

It was originally designed to be Rome thus it is Rome. The Current Narration was intentionally written for those with the cognitive level of a pig.

Absolutely! :)

The 2007 dumbed down script does have Judi Dench say "Rome falls, and the great library of Alexandria in Egypt is burned," but Alexandria was never mentioned in the original 1982 Ray Bradbury penned script, nor in the 1986 and 1994 updates.

The original 1982 script featuring Larry Dobkin as narrator:

"Glorious Rome, until consumed by the flames of excess. Imperial Rome, lost in the ashes of darkness."

The 1986 script featuring Walter Cronkite:

"Glorious Rome falls victim to the flames of excess. Ages of knowledge are lost or forgotten in the ashes."

The 1994 script featuring Jeremy Irons:

"But these same roads were turned against Rome by invaders whose destruction left ages of knowledge and wisdom in the ashes that would become the Dark Ages."

SSE_King

UGH, I'm so disappointed by this! I really don't see what the reason is to get rid of the smell. Is it because a lot of people complained about it? I don't see why, it was such a distinct smell and everytime I smell something similar in the "outside world", I will always think to myself, "Ahh, it smells like Spaceship Earth!" This is really disappointing if the smell is gone for good. :cry:

Scuttle

After the refurb the paperboy was originally motionless facing the wall. It was actually kind of creepy since the paperboy was still yelling out but not moving at all. The word was that he was broken (as you said) and will return in the near future. Well he is now waving and selling to the wall. There may be a good reason for this, but I never understood the change.

I've never heard of the paperboy being broken. I always thought he was moved because be was so close to the time machine vehicles.

Amused to Death

Despite Martys recollections, it was Perrin.
For what it's worth, Wikipedia and IMDb both credit Larry Dobkin.

It's funny, I was there on opening day, and many more times prior to Walter Cronkite taking over, but Walter is the one I remember. I guess Dobkin or Perrin, whomever it actually was, didn't leave much of an impression on me. ;)

hpyhnt 1000

He was broken and not moving for a few months after SSE reopened. He is now movnig again as you know.

Yeah, he does move again. Wasn't there something about his face being broken or damaged, which is why he is now off in the corner away from the ride vehicles facing a painted wall?

Timekeeper

UGH, I'm so disappointed by this! I really don't see what the reason is to get rid of the smell. Is it because a lot of people complained about it?

Maybe to eliminate related liabilities given that Spaceship Earth is not a "designated smoking area"... :lookaroun

PhilharMagician

Yeah, he does move again. Wasn't there something about his face being broken or damaged, which is why he is now off in the corner away from the ride vehicles facing a painted wall?

I wish I knew why he has been moved. Scuttle was saying somthing about the paper boy being to close to the ride vehicles. Either way it was a neat effect when the paperboy was trying to sell you a paper as you passed by in your time machine. Now I would rather have the paperboy and his audio removed since it really does not make sense. :shrug:

BigThunderMatt

I wish I knew why he has been moved. Scuttle was saying somthing about the paper boy being to close to the ride vehicles. Either way it was a neat effect when the paperboy was trying to sell you a paper as you passed by in your time machine. Now I would rather have the paperboy and his audio removed since it really does not make sense. :shrug:

He wasn't though. He was still a fair distance, definitely out of arms reach unless you were leaning almost completely out of the vehicle.

Scuttle

He wasn't though. He was still a fair distance, definitely out of arms reach unless you were leaning almost completely out of the vehicle.

Fair distance, but as you said a good lean and a long arm could probably get a swipe at the papers. The papers did come closer when he would move them towards the vehicles..

HMF

You would think they would build a new Paperboy or build a new vignette altogether. Besides making it so explicitly involving the end of the Civil War kinda dilutes the story a little bit because as it is you go underneath Michelangelo painting the Sistine Ceiling which was finished in 1480 and then next you are instantly transported to the late 19th Century and to suddenly have a whole vignette involving the end of a war involving only one nation does seem a bit jarring in the grand scheme of things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom