Spaceship Earth Burning Rome Scene

HMF

The missing chariot projection might be explained by the fact that it's no longer Rome that is burning. The Judi Dench narration now says:

"Rome falls. And the great Library of Alexandria in Egypt is burned."

Now that the burning scene takes place in Egypt, not Rome, the chariot projection probably made less sense.

It's Rome. You can't retro-actively say it's Egypt when it is clearly intentioned to be Rome. She says Rome Falls and In Addition Alexandria is burned. You can't say it's Alexandria after it has clearly been defined as Rome for 25 years.

HMF

After the refurb the paperboy was originally motionless facing the wall. It was actually kind of creepy since the paperboy was still yelling out but not moving at all. The word was that he was broken (as you said) and will return in the near future. Well he is now waving and selling to the wall. There may be a good reason for this, but I never understood the change.

There are several dozen things I don't understand what WDI was thinking for this refurb. I cannot say enough bad things about the Imagineers who worked on the 07 refurb. Judging by the script and the lack of common show sense in most areas, I would think they were High School Dropouts or just completely incompetent and that is one of the nicer things I could say about my opinion of them.

ToTBellHop

It's Rome. You can't retro-actively say it's Egypt when it is clearly intentioned to be Rome. She says Rome Falls and In Addition Alexandria is burned. You can't say it's Alexandria after it has clearly been defined as Rome for 25 years.
Sure they can. Alexandria was part of the Roman Empire at the time. I never interpreted the statement as Rome (the city) fell. The Roman Empire fell. Including Alexandria in Egypt. Further, the Library in Alexandria used Roman architecture. It's a reasonable move.

Pioneer Hall

Sure they can. Alexandria was part of the Roman Empire at the time. I never interpreted the statement as Rome (the city) fell. The Roman Empire fell. Including Alexandria in Egypt. Further, the Library in Alexandria used Roman architecture. It's a reasonable move.

That is the way that I looked at is as well. The Roman Empire spanned across a very large territory including Egypt. As far as I am concerned Alexandria is part of "Rome".

MarkTwain

In a way, the new sequence is much more technically accurate. The Great Fire of Rome under Nero and the fall of the Roman Empire to the Visigoths and Vandals were events separated by some 400 years, and from what I understand didn't really have much to do with each other. On the other hand, the Library of Alexandria was very much part of the ancient world and, even if it was never owned by Rome directly, very likely had Greco-Roman architecture considering it was part of Ptolemaic Egypt. Considering that all we see of the library are some embers and a couple of columns, having the Greco-Roman architecture is all that matters anyway.

HMF

In a way, the new sequence is much more technically accurate. The Great Fire of Rome under Nero and the fall of the Roman Empire to the Visigoths and Vandals were events separated by some 400 years, and from what I understand didn't really have much to do with each other. On the other hand, the Library of Alexandria was very much part of the ancient world and, even if it was never owned by Rome directly, very likely had Greco-Roman architecture considering it was part of Ptolemaic Egypt. Considering that all we see of the library are some embers and a couple of columns, having the Greco-Roman architecture is all that matters anyway.

It was originally designed to be Rome thus it is Rome. The Current Narration was intentionally written for those with the cognitive level of a pig.

aladdin2007

There are several dozen things I don't understand what WDI was thinking for this refurb. I cannot say enough bad things about the Imagineers who worked on the 07 refurb. Judging by the script and the lack of common show sense in most areas, I would think they were High School Dropouts or just completely incompetent and that is one of the nicer things I could say about my opinion of them.

Perfectly stated. The whole thing was epic failure for me also with pointing fingers deserved at all parties, especially TDO and Siemens. But I dont get some of the choices Imagineering made either. Yes the finale mess was not their fault in the end apparently, but would like to know their reasoning for other things like the paper boy, and script just name two out of a long list.

Any update on if its still closing again soon? It was stated here somewhere not long ago that it may go down for a short time this year even though its just for tech and nothing to do with the finale. :brick:

Captain Chaos

Everyone's nose is different, but I can tell you I visit at least once every month and the effect hasn't worked as intended for a good 6 to 8 months. I log it with the charriot scene ... gone for good.

Could be right... And I may have just been anticipating the smell...

Oh well, another small little detail ripped out of WDW.. more declining by degrees..

Captain Chaos

I have to agree... I still ride Spaceship Earth because the ride itself isn't horrendous (minus the descent back to earth ending)... But the script, it bleeds my ears...

HMF

Perfectly stated. The whole thing was epic failure for me also with pointing fingers deserved at all parties, especially TDO and Siemens. But I dont get some of the choices Imagineering made either. Yes the finale mess was not their fault in the end apparently, but would like to know their reasoning for other things like the paper boy, and script just name two out of a long list.

Any update on if its still closing again soon? It was stated here somewhere not long ago that it may go down for a short time this year even though its just for tech and nothing to do with the finale. :brick:
Seeing what Spaceship Earth became in 2007 was like someone taking one of your prized possessions, De-facing it and saying "I made it better". Seriously,with SSE 07, I felt as though WDI literally spat in my face and said we don't care if it inspired you and empowered you , People just want to play with their touchscreens.

HMF

Could be right... And I may have just been anticipating the smell...

Oh well, another small little detail ripped out of WDW.. more declining by degrees..

You can blame WDI for that, not TDO. If they wanted to they could go in and turn the effect back on tomorrow but a high-ranking Imagineer says it's cheesy so death to it.:shrug:

Captain Chaos

You can blame WDI for that, not TDO. If they wanted to they could go in and turn the effect back on tomorrow but a high-ranking Imagineer says it's cheesy so death to it.:shrug:

Doesn't matter who is to blame... it is a decline of the small things and that attention to detail that MADE WDW great...

Pioneer Hall

Doesn't matter who is to blame... it is a decline of the small things and that attention to detail that MADE WDW great...

Does it count as a decline though if the information presented here is true? It's one thing to call something a decline if it due to cost cutting or being poorly managed. However, if a high ranking creative person decides that the effect isn't worthy of being in the attraction then is it still a decline if the funding is there? When does it stop being a decline and just a decision that we disagree with? Surely not everything we like that changes/disappears is necessarily a decline.

Captain Chaos

Does it count as a decline though if the information presented here is true? It's one thing to call something a decline if it due to cost cutting or being poorly managed. However, if a high ranking creative person decides that the effect isn't worthy of being in the attraction then is it still a decline if the funding is there? When does it stop being a decline and just a decision that we disagree with? Surely not everything we like that changes/disappears is necessarily a decline.

Yes... it is a decline... it was one of those small attentions to detail Disney was known for... Evidence by this thread, it is one of those little things that are missed by a lot of fans... Doesn't matter if is it a cost cutting measure or a creative decision... The scene basically stayed the same from the original ride... There is no reason the smell should be turned off... The smell ads to the experience...

mr_braver23

Yes... it is a decline... it was one of those small attentions to detail Disney was known for... Evidence by this thread, it is one of those little things that are missed by a lot of fans... Doesn't matter if is it a cost cutting measure or a creative decision... The scene basically stayed the same from the original ride... There is no reason the smell should be turned off... The smell ads to the experience...

I totally agree!! That's why we come back...small details. They just keep letting small details go...........:mad:

Captain Chaos

I totally agree!! That's why we come back...small details. They just keep letting small details go...........:mad:

Everyone LOVES the small details, and when describing why they love Disney, part of their reasoning is THE ATTENTION TO DETAIL... Then a small piece of that detail is removed, whether it is TDO's cost cutting measure or a creative decision... and it gets defended as "creative choice..." I mean, really????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom