Spaceship Earth Burning Rome Scene

Buried20KLeague

I know Disney lets a lot of their themes slip into disrepair but maybe Disney intentionally turned this on off. Weren't there too many calls to 911 about SSE on fire? Until every person on the planet had a cell phone this was not likely an issue but now that children are born into the world with a cell phone in their hand I am sure those calls have gotten to be too much.

Wow. Talk about a reach. :lol:

Kids, THIS is how you defend TDO till your last breath. :king:

MarkTwain

That particular smell is a very strong memory trigger for lots of folks, myself included. I wonder if when I go through SSE next I will smell it even though it is not there any longer. Sort of a memory trigger in reverse.:shrug:

That's how it was for me when I rode it a few months ago and couldn't smell it. It was definitely like my senses wanted the smell to be there, but were instead more astute to the lack of smell... it was weird. :lol:

G00fyDad

Wow. Talk about a reach. :lol:

Kids, THIS is how you defend TDO till your last breath. :king:

Get down off the cross. Someone else needs the wood.

I am talking about the one single piece of the attraction. I know very well that TDO allows far too many things to slip into disrepair. But it was so nice of you to take my questioning of this once piece of a theme and twist it. :rolleyes: TDO has a long way to go to get the parks back up to snuff. I am not defending the lazy money mongers. Try starting something with someone that actually cares.:king:

G00fyDad

That's how it was for me when I rode it a few months ago and couldn't smell it. It was definitely like my senses wanted the smell to be there, but were instead more astute to the lack of smell... it was weird. :lol:

Next time you go light a piece of paper on fire for effect. :D Just kidding. Really....don't do that. :lookaroun

Buried20KLeague

Get down off the cross. Someone else needs the wood.

I am talking about the one single piece of the attraction. I know very well that TDO allows far too many things to slip into disrepair. But it was so nice of you to take my questioning of this once piece of a theme and twist it. :rolleyes: TDO has a long way to go to get the parks back up to snuff. I am not defending the lazy money mongers. Try starting something with someone that actually cares.:king:

You're right. It's completely plausible that they turned off a scent effect that's been in place on an attraction for 20 years because of a high volume of 911 calls.

:lol:

OR...

Maybe, like literally hundreds of effects through their 4 parks, they've failed to maintain it properly and it no longer works.

Which is more likely?

aladdin2007

You're right. It's completely plausible that they turned off a scent effect that's been in place on an attraction for 20 years because of a high volume of 911 calls.

OR...

Maybe, like literally hundreds of effects through their 4 parks, they've failed to maintain it properly and it no longer works.

Which is more likely?

This. TDO sees it as foolish to spend on fixing it most likely. "why bother, the tourists dont care or notice", I can hear them talking now.

G00fyDad

OR...

Which is more likely?

Again, get down off the cross. :rolleyes:

I never said that was the reason. Try reading the full post, take a second, and absorb the information before you fly off the handle here. ;) I asked if it was possible that the effect (small as it was) caused enough trouble for them to turn it off. It was a question, not a statement of fact. That's right, you screwed up and jumped the gun without thinking first. :sohappy: If it was not the case of them turning it off simply say, "No. Disney did not turn it off. It is likely broken and will fall into the long list of things they should have repaired but haven't." See, that isn't too hard.

G00fyDad

This. TDO sees it as foolish to spend on fixing it most likely. "why bother, the tourists dont care or notice", I can hear them talking now.

That is, I think, the main reason they don't bother with the Yeti. Most people get off the ride these days and say"That was amazing! Did you see the Yeti?" and the other person says no so they ride it again to get a glimpse of him. They are both so excited so Disney must assume that they dont need to fix the Yeti. You are probably right with the "why bother, the tourists dont care or notice" idea.

aladdin2007

The smell is special--it`s all part of it!!

Agree, I did notice last week that the phoenician boat was rocking and usually that does not work. Sadly though we were still being told to remember learning our abc's and thank the phoenicians for inventing them. :brick:

Buried20KLeague

Again, get down off the cross. :rolleyes:

I never said that was the reason. Try reading the full post, take a second, and absorb the information before you fly off the handle here. ;) I asked if it was possible that the effect (small as it was) caused enough trouble for them to turn it off.

You're right. Let me take your post in again, and provide feedback.

<pause for effect>

No.

RSoxNo1

Don't expolde just yet. RSoxNo1 is just stirring the pot a little. :lol:

The paperboy is still there, but unfortunately not where he used to be prior to the refurb a few years ago.

What did I do? My post was what the paper boy used to say during the Walter Cronkite narration, "Extra! Extra! New York Daily!"

WDWfanboy

When I was there last June you could definitely smell it, same as always.

I'll be heading back in 3 weeks-will post here after I ride it.

G00fyDad

You're right. Let me take your post in again, and provide feedback.

<pause for effect>

No.

Now see there. That wasn't too hard to do was it? Just a simple answer. :rolleyes:

When I was there last June you could definitely smell it, same as always.

I'll be heading back in 3 weeks-will post here after I ride it.

From the responses on this thread it seems that the effect is hit and miss. I guess TDO will probably see to this repair straight away because they are very quick to respond to such issues.

Now stop laughing before you urinate on yourself. ;)

Tom Morrow

I don't think that's right. I know I could smell it in August.
We were in Disney last week and the rome burning smell is definitely either completely broken or it's terribly close - you could get a very faint whiff of it but I think that could just be how the area smells because of having been exposed to the piped in scent for so long.
^^ That is how it has been every time I have ridden SSE for at least the past year, I'd say possibly dating back to Feb. 2011 or earlier than that. The smell was very very faint and I only noticed it because I knew to look (or smell) for it, and very easily could have just been the way the area has grown to smell.

Perhaps it was working again for some time in between my rides last year.

TalkingHead

I know Disney lets a lot of their themes slip into disrepair but maybe Disney intentionally turned this on off. Weren't there too many calls to 911 about SSE on fire? Until every person on the planet had a cell phone this was not likely an issue but now that children are born into the world with a cell phone in their hand I am sure those calls have gotten to be too much.

You're sure of that? Sounds unlikely to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom