Space Mountain

kasey1988

it defintally needs a refurb, but i wish it wouldnt be down when im going to be there :(...
seems a fav is down when im there, last time pirates was closed

whitemule28

Now before I get my throat jumped down, let me be clear that I am not condemning the current SM. I am a serious advocate for the protection of certain classic attractions whose ingenuity makes them timeless. But, with the changing of of DL's SM, it seems that Disney is dead set on changing the WDW version. And I hate to say it, but once you change the ride, you change it. DL's SM is not "SM", it is SM 2.0. So if you're going to change it, why not change it. And what better to do than be proactive and try to steer them in the right direction before they do something stupid and "Stitch-ify" SM. Being a "classic" attraction, why not give it a classic theme that adults can relate to? What I'm suggesting is a "2001: A Space Odyssey" theme. It gives you everything you need: A space theme (check), a great soundtrack (check...maybe one of the greatest of all time), conflict to give the ride excitement (check...HAL may be one of the greatest villians of all time)...now before you say you don't need a theme or storyline, why not just keep it SM? Think about the current trend in the refurbs and attractions. They all either have storylines or are being given them. And sometimes you just have to accept it. And why not allow the adults to have a ride that allowed them to dream growing up? Just a thought.

whitemule28

And before someone goes ahead and states the obvious, I realize that "2001" is not a Disney property. It is in fact an MGM/Warner property, which could lead to a problem. But hey, crazier things have happened. And it gives WDW a "unique attraction" that I know people are craving with the cookie-cutter action that's been going on state-side lately.

wdwron2008

It depends on how much they work in my opinion. I think that they can get alot done during that time. Maybe not big track replacements, but certinally new trains and other effects. And its more like a five or six month rehab.
I heard that the track will stay but there will be new cars, A soundtrack, And new special effects. I think Space Mountain needs a major Rehab in the worst way. when I was there in 2004 it broke down twice.

Lee

Adventurer
What happened to "the track is ordered" and all the pics of the scoring work down on the supports. A couple months ago the insiders were insistant this was a done deal and past the point of no return...all bad info?
It was a done deal. Still may be. Lots of unanswered questions.
I'm trying desperately to get some info.

To clarify.
Steel has been ordered for at least partial track replacement. It was never clear that the entire structure was being replaced.
Word has been slipping through lately that Phil was getting cold feet on going all out. Could be true.

RSoxNo1

It was a done deal. Still may be. Lots of unanswered questions.
I'm trying desperately to get some info.

To clarify.
Steel has been ordered for at least partial track replacement. It was never clear that the entire structure was being replaced.
Word has been slipping through lately that Phil was getting cold feet on going all out. Could be true.

Thanks for the heads up Lee - unfortunately this news isn't exactly what we were hoping for.

SirGoofy

To clarify.

Wouldn't surprise me. Phil's a great guy, but he seems to be a little indecisive.

Lee

Adventurer
Wouldn't surprise me. Phil's a great guy, but he seems to be a little indecisive.
It's not indecisive that is his problem.
It's his habit of taking the cheap way out at the expense of the park.
As I said in another thread, many execs at WDW (including Phil and those responsible for the debacle going on at PI) have forgotten the Keys to the Kingdom.
Show comes before Efficiency

Just keeping to the Keys would make WDW a far better resort that what it is now.

SirGoofy

It's not indecisive that is his problem.
It's his habit of taking the cheap way out at the expense of the park.
As I said in another thread, many execs at WDW (including Phil and those responsible for the debacle going on at PI) have forgotten the Keys to the Kingdom.
Show comes before Efficiency

Just keeping to the Keys would make WDW a far better resort that what it is now.

Haha I was trying to be nice.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Show was pounded into our heads everyday of training and each and everyday at the Magic Kingdom, but it's amazing how some of the same people teaching us forget the same thing. It's really a shame too because Phil is a great guy, it just seems like he may have forgotten the path.

Lee

Adventurer
Phil is a great guy, it just seems like he may have forgotten the path.
Oh, he can be pleasant enough.
But, next time you cross his path, try to get him to tell you about the Pirates upgrades he decided weren't necessary during the big refurb. It boggles the mind, this "good enough" mentality.:brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What happened to "the track is ordered" and all the pics of the scoring work down on the supports. A couple months ago the insiders were insistant this was a done deal and past the point of no return...all bad info?
Not bad info. Just how it was before PH, as Lee said, got scared. Best case scenario - he`ll come to his senses. Middle scenario - what was mentioned above and a little more. Worst case - what I heard last month - hardly anything noticable to guests just to keep the 33 year old structure creaking along as if nothing happened.

Honestly, vision has gone out the window in the MK.

stitch2008

I still think that there is alot of good that will come out of the space mountain rehab. Even if it is just small changes. On the other hand, maybe I'm just too optimistic.

This is all so sad to hear. My most recent trip to WDW was in December '06.
I was so disappointed with how old, dusty and rickety Space Mountain (my all-time favorite ride during the '80s and '90s) had become that I decided there would be no more WDW trips for me until they fixed Space Mountain so it would regain its former glory.

If this half-hearted rehab rumor is indeed true, it looks like I will continue to fly out to Anaheim from now on indefinitely to get my Disney fix. :(

SirGoofy

Oh, he can be pleasant enough.
But, next time you cross his path, try to get him to tell you about the Pirates upgrades he decided weren't necessary during the big refurb. It boggles the mind, this "good enough" mentality.:brick:

:lol: Unfortunately I enjoy my job too much to do that. But yea it is frustrating. I mean for a while there we weren't even going to get a new dock at the Jungle Cruise! They were just going to replace the bad boards! I was amazed when I heard that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But, next time you cross his path, try to get him to tell you about the Pirates upgrades he decided weren't necessary during the big refurb..
Don`t even get me started on THAT one.....

It`s decisions like that one that make me really fearful for Space Mountain.

DisneyDellsDude

I am very disapointed by all of the reports coming in on the SM refurb so far. Very disapointed indeed.:(

Same here. I thought I was hearing that some great things were going to be coming to the MK with the 40th and all, but now I'm not even sure that would be possible if the management is as bad as some are making it out to be.

AREM

I took a week long trip to WDW last April, and rode SM for the first time, and rather enjoyed it. I waited a good 45 minutes, but that is to be expected. Also, something HAS to be done with the waiting line; I got dizzy and felt sick several times through the line. I wasn't even on the ride yet!

As far as the ride itself goes, as I said, I rather enjoyed it. A bit jerky, but you felt out of control. I liked it. I have never rode the DL version of SM, so I can't say which one is better.

I personally feel that they should gut the entire thing, and put all new materials in there, while retaining the EXACT same track layout. New track, new supports, the whole thing. But keep the same track design. Also, it needs to be PITCH black dark. Maybe with glowing stars in the ceiling, or something like that. New effects are a must.

Something that I think would be cool, would be if they biult neon onto the outside of the biulding, and had it lit up at night. THey could have a light show at night, and when it is not in use, they could make the neon shine white, and a very space age look to it.

Just my two cents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom