Space Mountain

Lee

Adventurer
Something that I think would be cool, would be if they biult neon onto the outside of the biulding, and had it lit up at night. THey could have a light show at night, and when it is not in use, they could make the neon shine white, and a very space age look to it.
Yeah....kinda like....
dlpspacemtn4.jpg

olmec26

I took a week long trip to WDW last April, and rode SM for the first time, and rather enjoyed it. I waited a good 45 minutes, but that is to be expected. Also, something HAS to be done with the waiting line; I got dizzy and felt sick several times through the line. I wasn't even on the ride yet!

As far as the ride itself goes, as I said, I rather enjoyed it. A bit jerky, but you felt out of control. I liked it. I have never rode the DL version of SM, so I can't say which one is better.

I personally feel that they should gut the entire thing, and put all new materials in there, while retaining the EXACT same track layout. New track, new supports, the whole thing. But keep the same track design. Also, it needs to be PITCH black dark. Maybe with glowing stars in the ceiling, or something like that. New effects are a must.

Something that I think would be cool, would be if they biult neon onto the outside of the biulding, and had it lit up at night. THey could have a light show at night, and when it is not in use, they could make the neon shine white, and a very space age look to it.

Just my two cents.

Aw, I quite like the queue...one of my favorites in WDW! (Not to mention that it has the best queue music ever!)

And in my mind, DL's version of the coaster is far superior, hands down. And I agree, the new version does need to be dark, preferably with on-board audio and the same layout.

And yes, a light show would be cool. However, I don't think that neon on the actual mountain is too appealing.

AREM

In regards to the picture posted of......well.......WHATEVER that ugly thing was.......

I was imagining a more simplistic display. No big metal spokes, or odd lighting. Just lines of neon.

It was just a thought.

Maybe not the best idea though, now that I think about it......lol

Lee

Adventurer
In regards to the picture posted of......well.......WHATEVER that ugly thing was.......

I was imagining a more simplistic display. No big metal spokes, or odd lighting. Just lines of neon.

It was just a thought.

Maybe not the best idea though, now that I think about it......lol

Ugly?!?!?:eek:
The most beautiful Space Mtn. ever built?
Insanity, sir!

SeanC

Nah...I fear for MK as a whole. No direction there. No forward-thinking leadership. Sad.:mad:
Somebody get Matt Ouimet on the phone, quick!

It's just so sad...Disneyland for the 50th was amazing thanks to Matt and Gregg...every Disney blogger, fan, cast member and regular guest knows what that kind of management achieved and how show and revenue improved in tandem because of it, and yet TWDC continues to allow the resorts to operate below that level of care. Mind boggling really.

olmec26

Not so: I went back in April, and it was just the simple white steel look. No neon, metal wings or fins, or anything. SM didn't even remotely resemble that picture........

That's because the photo is from Disneyland Paris. And yes, that is the current look.

culturenthrills

So Lee, Marni - what was scrapped for the Pirates rehab?

Well, I am not Lee or Marni but the 2 things I have heard of where 2 things DL got. A brand new sound system, which is why when you ride the WDW now the new dialogue is crystal clear and the old dialogue sounds like it is stuck in the 70's. And a brand new lighting system. DL got both of these.

You know if SM doesn't get a full blow rehab then I will be very disappointed. After the HM rehab where they went the extra mile I had hoped SM would get the rehab it needed. It was starting to look like MK was turning a corner. With the rumored Little Mermaid ride and possible Fantasyland upgrade but a cutback SM rehab would be a huge stepback.

Lee

Adventurer
Well, I am not Lee or Marni but the 2 things I have heard of where 2 things DL got. A brand new sound system, which is why when you ride the WDW now the new dialogue is crystal clear and the old dialogue sounds like it is stuck in the 70's. And a brand new lighting system. DL got both of these.

Yep, those two things...and a whole new show scene.
Not scrapped, exactly. More like....declined....by Phil. He figured the guests would be just as happy with what they ended up getting, so why spend more money on show.

Enigma

Account Suspended
you people do realize if you start cutting down on spending and visiting the MK and tell as many people as possible to stop visiting. Disney will be forced to take action right?

landauh

Just a quick question. How difficult would it be into add an on board audio system(for a soundtrack) on the current SM trains?

WDI tested serval different configurations and each made the trains too heavy for the current track layout. The current plans are to refurb the current trains with newer trucks and under carriages to give a smoother ride and seat cushions to keep them from ripping so easily. There are newly refurbished trains on the tracks now (#1, #9, and #15) that give a smoother ride (even though it does not speed up the train, the smoothness makes it feel faster).

Skyway

So, can someone confirm: Is the on-board audio proposal now completely off-the-table??

I remember when DL first added the ________ (oh, sorry, "Richard"---this won't let me use his first name!) Dale soundtrack. That one little thing (I know its not little from a technical standpoint) completely changed that ride---night and day difference---and all for the better. I'd be fine with other proposed upgrades getting scrapped. But the audio makes all the difference!

RSoxNo1

Yep, those two things...and a whole new show scene.
Not scrapped, exactly. More like....declined....by Phil. He figured the guests would be just as happy with what they ended up getting, so why spend more money on show.

That's horrible. The thing I enjoyed most about the Haunted Mansion refurb was how good it sounded, especially in the graveyard. I don't know if they overhauled the audio, but the definitely did something to sync it up better.

Brian Noble

Just a quick question. How difficult would it be into add an on board audio system(for a soundtrack) on the current SM trains?
Ask Disneyland. (Answer: it will work. For a while. Then, you lose.)

Guys, I get why we are all disappointed, but Enigma is right---MK is the single best-attended theme park in the world. From a purely business standpoint, it doesn't make that much sense to go overboard with upgrades to the park, 'cause the peeps keep flooding in. What's more, it's not clear how much higher attendance could go in the current physical infrastructure so if you want to monetize any improvements, you might have to do it through admission increases instead.

Worse, it looks like the economy might be starting to have an impact in Lake Buena Vista. Free Dining and a room discount all the way up to Christmas? That's absolutely unheard of, and to me sounds a little bit desperate. If things don't get straightened out on Wall Street pretty soon, Main Street may follow, and that's exactly the wrong time to spend a big bunch of money on park upgrades if you want to keep your job---no ROI.

Anyway, I have some hope. Mansion is great. Pirates isn't all it could be, but it's a nice improvement. Space could end up being interesting, and as with all things Disney, we probably won't know until it happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom