Space Mountain Updates

I'm surprised there are people who didn't know about SM's "chocolate chip cookies"! The old projections on the ceiling would have random "meteors" fly by, which just looked like giant chocolate chip cookies. I would always look out for them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm surprised there are people who didn't know about SM's "chocolate chip cookies"! The old projections on the ceiling would have random "meteors" fly by, which just looked like giant chocolate chip cookies. I would always look out for them.

Kids of today huh? :D

StAug WDW fan

Spacemountain / TTA

One thing I didnt like about the Spacemountain refurb in WDW is that you used to be able to see the ride when you rode TTA. Last time I rode TTA they had it walled off so you really can't see anything and it's pitch black thru there

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One thing I didnt like about the Spacemountain refurb in WDW is that you used to be able to see the ride when you rode TTA. Last time I rode TTA they had it walled off so you really can't see anything and it's pitch black thru there

You can see, though not as much as before. If you rode during the refurb it was walled, today 75% of the view still exists but lacks any discernible view aside from off-axis projections. Such a wasted opportunity.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You can see, though not as much as before. If you rode during the refurb it was walled, today 75% of the view still exists but lacks any discernible view aside from off-axis projections. Such a wasted opportunity.
I beg to differ. Being able to see the ride always reminded me that I was getting on a roller coaster. It being hidden helps keep the illusion that you are in space.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I beg to differ. Being able to see the ride always reminded me that I was getting on a roller coaster. It being hidden helps keep the illusion that you are in space.

Fair enough. Along with the rattling anti rollbacks, clanging motors and mid course back breaker trim? :D

Or you mean the TTA view? The latter has to be a wasted opportunity. So many ceiling effects were realigned when the new load ceilings were added you now get a few stars and the odd distant projection. Now it's just another dark and forgotten WEDWay corridor.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Fair enough. Along with the rattling anti rollbacks, clanging motors and mid course back breaker trim? :D

Or you mean the TTA view? The latter has to be a wasted opportunity. So many ceiling effects were realigned when the new load ceilings were added you now get a few stars and the odd distant projection. Now it's just another dark and forgotten WEDWay corridor.
TTA view I agree with. It was better when you could see the track. Do not get me started on the defining noise of the anti-rollback on Space Mountain or BTMRR.

Rob562

I'd be happy if they brought back the glow-in-the-dark stripes on the SM rockets so that you could *see* the rockets swooping through the darkness from the TTA. Perhaps even glowing red rocket exhausts on the back?

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ now we're talking! Forget "light bubbles" as they called the excuse to remove them. The night glow strips were so worn they couldn't illuminate a nut or bolt, let alone the surrounding tracks and supports....

But we digress....

MerlinTheGoat

I'd be happy if they brought back the glow-in-the-dark stripes on the SM rockets so that you could *see* the rockets swooping through the darkness from the TTA. Perhaps even glowing red rocket exhausts on the back?

-Rob

I'd almost forgotten about the glow in the dark stripes (not quite). Perhaps some LED lights would look really neat on the sides and back of them.

I don't think so few of them would create much of a light bubble.

Gregoryp73

^ now we're talking! Forget "light bubbles" as they called the excuse to remove them. The night glow strips were so worn they couldn't illuminate a nut or bolt, let alone the surrounding tracks and supports....

But we digress....

too bad they couldn't paint the track to the top of the hill with black light paint so it looked as if you were launching off the track... :)

Jim Possible

I'm sorry, but Space Mountain feels like a poorly maintained carnival attraction and is a rough, loud, uncomfortable ride.

You shouldn't fear for your well-being on any Disney attraction, but I'd be afraid of raising my arms as those oh-so-close steel beams could lop them off.

So, yeah... I'm definitely open to change. The ride may be a classic, but even after the refurb it's not on par with the park's other e-tickets.

This is just my opinion, of course. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
What's the point? He will just come back under a different name when he is banned in about 3 days. I wish there was a way Steve could check IP address's to finally rid this guy or atleast make him create user names from different computers.

Unfortunately it is essentially impossible to ban someone from a forum with open registration. The only defense against this is the users themselves. When no one feeds the monster.. the monster gets bored and goes away. Unfortunately this incarnation of the poster was clear from day 1 it wasn't a new member - yet people continue to reply to them and give them the satisfaction.

COProgressFan

I'm sorry, but Space Mountain feels like a poorly maintained carnival attraction and is a rough, loud, uncomfortable ride.

You shouldn't fear for your well-being on any Disney attraction, but I'd be afraid of raising my arms as those oh-so-close steel beams could lop them off.

So, yeah... I'm definitely open to change. The ride may be a classic, but even after the refurb it's not on par with the park's other e-tickets.

This is just my opinion, of course. ;)

Don't worry, many others have the same opinion. Apparently not the folks at TDO, however.

Sir-Disney

Since they have two tracks, it would be neat if they did section one off, wall it up, whatever, and use tons of projections and sounds to give the space simulation. Then the other track could be kind of classic space mountain, however, completely refurbed, safe and smooth with the latest technology (much like Disneyland). This would offer appeal to both crowds, one side of the track could be refurbed while one stayed open. The lines would be long, but better than closed.

I may not be speaking with sound logistics in mind, but two versions of the ride in one place would be awesome!

Samoht

I would think it would be a HUGE undertaking to remove the existing track from inside the building and even harder to get the new track in. Is that what they did in DL? Wasnt the building built around the track? It would be a very long refurb I would think if they did that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would think it would be a HUGE undertaking to remove the existing track from inside the building and even harder to get the new track in. Is that what they did in DL? Wasnt the building built around the track? It would be a very long refurb I would think if they did that.
If they were to do a complete gutting removing the track would not be a big issue. Just cut it up small enough to go out the rear exit. Getting new track in however, would present an issue. It would have to be designed in such a way that each section could fit through the same back door or they would have to look at popping the top.

disnyfan89

You cut a giant door into the backside of the building. In theory it would be a lot easier for WDW to completely gut their SM cause the building is larger and it sits on a backstage road with a gate already installed. Would be very easy to get the old track out and new track in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom