Space Mountain Updates

MiddKid

Nope. One track...people exit on one side of the car as those getting on load from the other. (though you might have seem some special cases where people got to rejoin from the exit...or baby swap perhaps, etc). They do load multiple trains lined up behind each other and they have a track that lets them pull one train out to the side for handicapped guests. This allows them to take their time loading that train and when they're ready, the track slides over to let that train join the rest of the track.

The other possible reason (especially considering that the poster specifically said they went right and a few trains went left) is that when running max rockets if the ride does begin to back-up they will often throw a train or two off the left spur in front of the control tower which brings the rocket into the maintenance bay. This tactic buys the crew some time to get the rocket timing back. This slight inconvenience of making those people get out and re-load is far better then a complete ride cascade and E-stop.

baymenxpac

this thread is really striking a chord with me at the right time, cyclone, we understand YOU like space mountain. i happen to like space mountain, too. it doesn't mean that it couldn't be improved, or that any improvements would necessarily take away any nostalgic elements that you love.

what people are trying to point out to you in the thread goes beyond how you keep framing your posts, which is based on your opinion. no one is flaming you or mocking you for the sake of it. we understand you really, really like space mountain the way it is. that's cool. no one is taking that away from you. the problem is that disney essentially admitted it was a ride in need of a sprucing. that's why they did it in cali to much acclaim. they didn't here, because of budget cuts. that's disconcerting to many people who frequent the WDW resort.

again, most of this stuff, as like most things in life, are not worth having and off-the-handle, manic reaction to. i understand that's the climate for the discourse in our country right now, but it is possible to consider that many issues in life are nuanced and you can in fact really like space mountain and still wish it got the full plussing disneyland did. long story short: just because you're happy with...say...driving a toyota, doesn't mean someone is unjust in saying they'd prefer a BMW because they think it's a nicer car.

Gregoryp73

Insiders on this board are regarded as such because of events that have proven to come to pass...It's those items that garner credibility for items that do not come to pass. I would think that 90% of disney projects get their budget cut to some extent.

And following a successful revamp of SM at DL...or course the expectation was that SM at MK would get the same treatment. Same rickety track, same experience at DL prior to it's update.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure someone else said that 90 percent of the rumors circulated here by insiders never actually pan out. Sorry, I'm not a fool, I need documentation and sources, or at least sources with credibility. Not anonymous people that post things like "not like the plans I've seen" and then just joke around for the rest of the thread with a few people that suck up to him to get attention.

You're not as sharp as you think. I already said I think Joss Whedon's campy crap film with his horrendous dialogue will suck. Why would I name myself after a film I don't want to see?

Knowing full and well that the insiders here cannot usually provide such "documentation" lest they reveal their sources, which would be mildly counterproductive for them in the end. Convenient....

And personally, I don't think you're a reincarnation of that fellow.....

RSoxNo1

Over all, the ride was spruced up nicely imo during the last refurb. I don't need to get disappointed by an internet rumor or wish the track was torn out and toned down to enjoy one of the most popular and classic attractions at WDW. And the fact people want it to be like Rock 'N Roller Coaster, frankly makes me want to hurl a bit. lol

Space Mountain was improved on the latest refurbishment, but it was not improved to the point where many believed it should be. I don't think it needs to be like Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, but I believe one proposal was two different tracks, one intense, one mild. Lee or Martin may be able to chime in on that one.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Space Mountain was improved on the latest refurbishment, but it was not improved to the point where many believed it should be. I don't think it needs to be like Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, but I believe one proposal was two different tracks, one intense, one mild. Lee or Martin may be able to chime in on that one.
What was foolish is that they did this rushed refurb which only bought them a bit more time. We are still riding on a 37-year old track. It isn't going to last forever, which means they'll be back to fix it sooner rather than later. Did they not learn anything from Disneyland's mid-90s refurb?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Over all, the ride was spruced up nicely imo during the last refurb. I don't need to get disappointed by an internet rumor or wish the track was torn out and toned down to enjoy one of the most popular and classic attractions at WDW. And the fact people want it to be like Rock 'N Roller Coaster, frankly makes me want to hurl a bit. lol

The track wouldn't have been toned down or Rock n Rollered. It'd be the same layout. Go ride Disneylands. Thats what'd it would have felt like. Proper positive G on turns without the neck jolts. And no back breakers into trim zones. Not to
Mention fx more akin to the 21st century than 1975.

the-reason14

Because I'm not a phony fan who doesn't like Space Mountain? I don't need to see Space Mountain radically changed. It doesn't need it.

I also don't go to the park to be dissapointed and have a bad time like some people because some anonymous member who people think is an insider said something that is probably inaccurate. I guess 74', another forum Idol, goes to the park to hate everything and pick it apart based on could'ves, should'vs, would'ves, but I'm fine with enjoying Space Mountain restored and plussed, but not radically altered.

But yes, enjoy your disappointment for imagined renovations that didn't happen instead of having a good time. That's what theme parks are all about. :brick:

Next time I go to WDW I'll think about how great the rides would have been if TDO only invested in an extra billion in each attraction. I like living in worlds that don't exist. My life is so great I need escapism into fantasy worlds and alternate universes where attractions are slightly better than they are now, so I can feel that great disappointment and doom and gloom.

This. I remember reading about how space mt so badly needed a refurb before 2009, and people were complaining about it not getting one. Then it does and what do you get? More complaints. Guess that fuels some people but whatev, couldn't pay me to care. I do agree that they could have done more during the refurb, but it did get some enhancements. I will say that there are things I missed about the pre refurbed SM, but it's still the same classic ride that I fell in love with back in the day. I think a major thing it could have improved upon was effects. Everything else is ok.

Sir-Disney

I gotta tell ya, I have always been a coaster nut and before I went to Disney World the first time in 2000, I had heard how awesome Space Mountain was. When I finally went on it, I was disappointed bc it wasn't a "coaster" first. I went on it again and realized it was an experience first! The rickety nature of Space Mountain was something I actually enjoyed simply because I love rough rides (Beast at King's Island). However, the awe inspiring experience Space Mountain is supposed to be is somewhat overshadowed by that rough feeling. A space trip should be smooth and negative, free floating G's should be the experience.

If the track was replaced with a smooth steel layout, they could put multiple launch areas in the track to incorporate speed without having to have the big hills. The launch areas would not have to be drastic but could give the feeling of accelerating through certain areas.

I haven't been to Disneyland but from watching the videos online it is obvious that the visual experience is far better.

These are just my two cents.

ctxak98

While I LOVE space mountain as is....And with single seating. I AM ALLL FOR an Upgrade in Smoothness, Audio and Effects as long as they keep the whole single seating thing which I do agree is unique for many rollercoasters. I dont see how anyone can say "No it doesnt need a refurb" though:shrug:.???I mean COME ON! anything that is OLD is going to need some kind of treatment and why not go the extra mile and Make it new. You do two great things then. create a new ride And bring in new effects. I say change it! make it TOP NOTCH again!

Gregoryp73

This. I remember reading about how space mt so badly needed a refurb before 2009, and people were complaining about it not getting one. Then it does and what do you get? More complaints. Guess that fuels some people but whatev, couldn't pay me to care. I do agree that they could have done more during the refurb, but it did get some enhancements. I will say that there are things I missed about the pre refurbed SM, but it's still the same classic ride that I fell in love with back in the day. I think a major thing it could have improved upon was effects. Everything else is ok.

I think because people viewed it as a refresh...They added lights, que elements, and some new exit scenes, the ride itself was untouched.

In my eyes, SM did not get a refurb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom