Space Mountain Updates

menamechris

So the original ride isn't acceptable to Disney standards, because it's currently a step above that? What are they supposed to do with a refurb to please you, tear out the track and put in a wooden coaster instead?

Do what they initially planned for the refurb - before they decided to slash costs and budget....

menamechris

That's very descriptive. Apparently you don't know what that is, besides being upset the budget was cut, which could be a lie like 90 percent of the rumors that circulate this forum. Rode the refurbed ride. I think it's perfect, and I haven't liked every ride that went under the knife recently.

Why? They are fine...

Captain Neo

Go to Disneyland, then tell me it's fine.

I'd say go to any of the other Space Mountains around the world and then come back and say Florida's is fine. I'm quite frankly affraid to go on it at this point because i'm skeptical that that old track is stable. It's worse than an old coney island coaster at this point

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's very descriptive. Apparently you don't know what that is, besides being upset the budget was cut, which could be a lie like 90 percent of the rumors that circulate this forum. Rode the refurbed ride. I think it's perfect, and I haven't liked every ride that went under the knife recently.

You may have low standards then.

The whole list of what was cut from the refurb appeared many times in late 2009 on these boards. Try a thread search if you'd like to be enlightened. And I don't lie.

Do yourself a favour - ride the TTA when Mountain is 101. With work lights on. Look at the track supports. See the coloured spray paint lines all over the steel? They are cutting points for when the track was going to be removed and replaced with a super smooth version.

I'm afraid it's attitudes like the comments you've posted here that help TDO think mean they can lower quality and get away with it.

Not arguing. Just saying.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You may have low standards then.

The whole list of what was cut from the refurb appeared many times in late 2009 on these boards. Try a thread search if you'd like to be enlightened. And I don't lie.

Do yourself a favour - ride the TTA when Mountain is 101. With work lights on. Look at the track supports. See the coloured spray paint lines all over the steel? They are cutting points for when the track was going to be removed and replaced with a super smooth version.

I'm afraid it's attitudes like the comments you've posted here that help TDO think mean they can lower quality and get away with it.

Not arguing. Just saying.

Don't waste your breath Martin. It's truly not worth it. No matter what you point out or offer as evidence, it's not going to be accepted.....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm reliable. I posted The scaled down refurb list myself. I'm not paranoid either. I guess you can't see the bigger picture. With an attitude like "it's good enough" it is no wonder second best has become the norm. Using your comments was just an example of how lack of pushing the envelope - and lack of expecting it to be done - allows TDO to have a smooth ride. Like I said, it's the bigger picture. You'll get it once you've been here for a while then you can make up your own mind.

maxairmike

These boards aren't a reliable source.

I'm fine with the tracks its always had. I don't want a super smooth ride. I want it to feel like space mountain.

TDO doesn't take posts like mine seriously, because they don't know what I say in them. I still find the level of paranoia here about being watched hilarious.

You think Space Mountain should feel like the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy?" When I think of gliding/rocketing through space, I think of a pretty smooth ride, and Space Mountain is far from a smooth ride. It's very possible to have a smooth ride with quick transitions, but it would take replacing the track and some other fixes (like new trains).

Gregoryp73

You think Space Mountain should feel like the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy?" When I think of gliding/rocketing through space, I think of a pretty smooth ride, and Space Mountain is far from a smooth ride. It's very possible to have a smooth ride with quick transitions, but it would take replacing the track and some other fixes (like new trains).

Maybe it's going through a giant chocolate chip cookie field?? ;)

Seriously, it does feel like asteroid dodge em.

Excited to ride the disneyland version later this year :)

pmaljr

As much as I hate to say this living on the East coast, the Disneyland version is far superior after experiencing it first hand last May. They need to do what they did there in Orlando. The cars can handle two people per row, the track feel is slick, it seems as though you are going faster, the music is more immersive, it's a lot darker and you have no idea what is coming next, etc, etc. There's randomness in the ride because you all board at the same point and the computer supposedly determines which side you ride. It's just a much better experience all around. Just because it's more comfortable doesn't mean it's a wimpy ride. It's just modern. It's just better. Best of all, I didn't leave the ride with a crick in my neck like the last time I rode it in Orlando.

I agree that much of Disneyland's version is better. However, after reading so much hype about how much better it is vs. WDW's ... I was a little disappointed. The soundtrack, the cars, and the special effects were definitely superior, but I didn't like the track at all. It seemed slower, it didn't seem to match the music (to me), and it was less thrilling. I'd be really happy if WDW just upgraded the cars, piped in the soundtrack to them, and upgraded the special effects. Honestly, I still love Space Mountain as it is now, but I admit that after it being closed for so long, I expected more.

Now, I'm really interested in riding DLP's version. An upgrade like that would be *sweet*.

devoy1701

There's not enough room in Space Mountain to do a good smooth steel coaster. If you want that I think, go to Cedar Point. The lack of smoothness to the track actually adds a lot. Replacing it with something that feels like the Dinoland USA coaster is watering it down into more of a kiddy ride. Disneyland is usually the one against revisionism, so it's funny WDW is the park that kept the ride as it should be.

you're not making any sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom