Space Mountain Updates

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You cut a giant door into the backside of the building. In theory it would be a lot easier for WDW to completely gut their SM cause the building is larger and it sits on a backstage road with a gate already installed. Would be very easy to get the old track out and new track in.

No need. WDWs mountain was completed as a shell and the ride added afterwards. The large doors at the rear would allow sections to be taken in and out. The TTA and guest areas add a bit more planning, but this was all taken into consideration until the full refurb was scrapped.

I agree that much of Disneyland's version is better. However, after reading so much hype about how much better it is vs. WDW's ... I was a little disappointed. The soundtrack, the cars, and the special effects were definitely superior, but I didn't like the track at all. It seemed slower, it didn't seem to match the music (to me), and it was less thrilling. I'd be really happy if WDW just upgraded the cars, piped in the soundtrack to them, and upgraded the special effects. Honestly, I still love Space Mountain as it is now, but I admit that after it being closed for so long, I expected more.

Now, I'm really interested in riding DLP's version. An upgrade like that would be *sweet*.

DLP isnt necessarily better. If you think WDW's space mountain track is rough, wait until you ride DLP. VERY rough, to the point of it not being enjoyable.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
DLP isnt necessarily better. If you think WDW's space mountain track is rough, wait until you ride DLP. VERY rough, to the point of it not being enjoyable.

DLP's Space Mountain is such a different experience to begin with that it's almost an unfair comparison -- it's more like RnRC than any of the US Space Mountains. That being said, I had heard the concerns about how rough the ride had become over the years, but when I rode in summer 2010, I didn't think it was bad at all -- it ain't RnRC smooth, but I didn't come off with a bruised head or strained neck.

DLP's Space Mountain is such a different experience to begin with that it's almost an unfair comparison -- it's more like RnRC than any of the US Space Mountains. That being said, I had heard the concerns about how rough the ride had become over the years, but when I rode in summer 2010, I didn't think it was bad at all -- it ain't RnRC smooth, but I didn't come off with a bruised head or strained neck.

We were there in June 2011. It was painful. I wish it wasnt, but I went on it twice and just had a miserable time. its a neat coaster too, but they really need to get it smoothed out.

Lee

Adventurer
We were there in June 2011. It was painful. I wish it wasnt, but I went on it twice and just had a miserable time. its a neat coaster too, but they really need to get it smoothed out.

I didn't find it to be too painful. I've felt much worse.
The new restraints should help a lot. As a ride, it's clearly the best SM (not factoring the roughness).

Kiff

To bad it has gotten so rough. I loved the ride when I was there in 2008 (Mission 2 at the time). Wish I had seen the original though...

To bad it has gotten so rough. I loved the ride when I was there in 2008 (Mission 2 at the time). Wish I had seen the original though...

I think its a great coaster, just maybe needs a refurb.

Another thing, I dont think I heard any onboard audio during the entire thing. And this was over two days....not sure what was going on. Maybe just broken?

The launch is really fun......

After hearing the hype for Disneyland's Space Mountain I was really looking forward to going on it to compare to Disney World's.

Whilst the soundtrack and effects were a plus I found the ride (track layout) not as good as Disney World's. I cant quite put my finger on why but it somehow felt smaller.

I love the vastness of the structure at WDW and really like the loading area. Ride is a little rough but I do not think Disneyland's is vastly superior and I actually prefer some parts of WDW's Space Mountain.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
After hearing the hype for Disneyland's Space Mountain I was really looking forward to going on it to compare to Disney World's.

Whilst the soundtrack and effects were a plus I found the ride (track layout) not as good as Disney World's. I cant quite put my finger on why but it somehow felt smaller.

I love the vastness of the structure at WDW and really like the loading area. Ride is a little rough but I do not think Disneyland's is vastly superior and I actually prefer some parts of WDW's Space Mountain.

I'm with you. I actually like WDW's better, overall, although Disneyland's is most certainly a smoother ride. The soundtrack is Disneyland is nice, but it is like a soundtrack -- you're in a vehicle playing the radio. At WDW, when the music/sound effects are working, it's makes it sound like you are passing things on your journey through space -- I like that better. Of course, it doesn't always work so well...:(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think its a great coaster, just maybe needs a refurb.

Another thing, I dont think I heard any onboard audio during the entire thing. And this was over two days....not sure what was going on. Maybe just broken?

The launch is really fun......

They still have issues with Soundtracker, being the first version (prototype was on much calmer Casey Jr) the flash cards still can work loose. If there is no audio just ask for a re ride.

hiptwinmama

WDW Space Mountain

So I think I am firmly planted in the middle on this one. I love classic WDW rides and am not a big fan a huge overhawl that would totally change Space Mountain. However, I would love to see it "upgraded" AKA a new track and cart. I would be thrilled if they kept the path of the track the same, but maybe with one new thrill. Still keeping the traditional experience the same.

PS What ever happened to being able to see SM lines while riding people mover?

That track NEEDS to be replaced. Example: My husband can no longer ride Space Mountain because he had back surgery and it is too jerky. However, he can easliy ride the Rockin Roller Coaster with no pain at all.

To me that speaks volumes. Don't you notice that the lines for Space Mountain don't back up to the People Mover like the did in the 80' and 90's. That's because the ride is fun but painful. I pulled my neck on it and couldn't look over my shoulder for days.:hammer:

the-reason14

So I think I am firmly planted in the middle on this one. I love classic WDW rides and am not a big fan a huge overhawl that would totally change Space Mountain. However, I would love to see it "upgraded" AKA a new track and cart. I would be thrilled if they kept the path of the track the same, but maybe with one new thrill. Still keeping the traditional experience the same.

PS What ever happened to being able to see SM lines while riding people mover?

That track NEEDS to be replaced. Example: My husband can no longer ride Space Mountain because he had back surgery and it is too jerky. However, he can easliy ride the Rockin Roller Coaster with no pain at all.

To me that speaks volumes. Don't you notice that the lines for Space Mountain don't back up to the People Mover like the did in the 80' and 90's. That's because the ride is fun but painful. I pulled my neck on it and couldn't look over my shoulder for days.:hammer:

I think it's because they've reopened the wait inside so that's where everyone is mostly waiting. And I have to disagree. Sure Space mt. is bumpy, but Rockin Coaster is worse even for the rip off short ride that it is. And for it to be newer and supposedly better that's unacceptable.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Don't you notice that the lines for Space Mountain don't back up to the People Mover like the did in the 80' and 90's. That's because the ride is fun but painful.

That's more to do with the introduction of Fastpass. Not having Fastpass meant a much longer standby line, though it would move more quickly. Space Mountain is still incredibly popular and pushes 3+ hour waits during peak times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom