Space Mountain trains cycling today (Sat 26 Sep) - photo

Mansion Butler

There's a video going out for cast members about things to look forward to coming to the Magic Kingdom, and I got to see it. It includes a few seconds of lights-on ride through of Space Mountain.

Pretty boring, but still kind of cool just because it's SM. Showed the re-entry tunnel looking the same as ever, unless the cool corkscrew effect was not just the camera and either the tunnel or the track rotating (I think it was the camera). I still contend the track looks slightly different, mostly the curve looking more banked, but yeah, it's been a while since I've ridden Space with the lights on.

EPCOT Explorer

There's a video going out for cast members about things to look forward to coming to the Magic Kingdom, and I got to see it. It includes a few seconds of lights-on ride through of Space Mountain.

Pretty boring, but still kind of cool just because it's SM. Showed the re-entry tunnel looking the same as ever, unless the cool corkscrew effect was not just the camera and either the tunnel or the track rotating (I think it was the camera). I still contend the track looks slightly different, mostly the curve looking more banked, but yeah, it's been a while since I've ridden Space with the lights on.

Interesting.

Shame that the tunnel is the same...

EPCOT Explorer

Bahhh.
They could easily replace the most embarrassing part of that ride.

On the plus side, i was just thinking how effective the glow in the dark rockets will look with it being darker now.

It will be a gorgeous sight from the TTA. :eek:

Yeah, just throw some LEDs in there....:shrug:

And indeed! :D That will be a plus, I agree.

DisneyLeo18

Yeah, just throw some LEDs in there....:shrug:

And indeed! :D That will be a plus, I agree.

I agree. After seeing the video of Rip Ride Rockit or whatever it is over at Universal I think some LEDs would look great. Maybe some blue and white? I have blue and white LEDs on my truck and it looks amazing think this would look nice. Too many colors might look bad.

EPCOT Explorer

I agree. After seeing the video of Rip Ride Rockit or whatever it is over at Universal I think some LEDs would look great. Maybe some blue and white? I have blue and white LEDs on my truck and it looks amazing think this would look nice. Too many colors might look bad.

DL has a ton of colors...:D

But yes, Blue or some green would be cool.

hpyhnt 1000

Okay, wait. Are you guys talking about LEDs in the reentry tunnel or LEDs to replace the glow in the dark stripes on the rockets? :veryconfu :lol:

Either way, I would approve of both, though if LEDs were placed on the rockets, the brightness of the diodes would have to be considered properly.

Iceviper123

Okay, wait. Are you guys talking about LEDs in the reentry tunnel or LEDs to replace the glow in the dark stripes on the rockets? :veryconfu :lol:

Either way, I would approve of both, though if LEDs were placed on the rockets, the brightness of the diodes would have to be considered properly.

lol im confused too.
I have been on DL version and there isn't any LEDs on the rockets.
besides the rockets don't even glow in the dark i believe.

EPCOT Explorer

Never been :brick:
Nor have I....but I have my research. :D

Heck, now that you mention it...Both! :lol:

Glasgow

I guess to each his own, but I've been on DL SM several times and while it was a fun ride, it was fairly forgettable -- I've been on too many similar rides that offer a comparable experience. In the opposite vein, I feel like WDW's SM is much more memorable (yes, in a good way) but it could be so much better.

SM was originally intended to be a cutting edge attraction and while I like the current version, that doesn't mean it can't be better or exempts it from being improved. Most attractions, even so-called classics (HM, SM, PoTC, etc), can be plussed in a way that doesn't lose the original theme of the ride but rather just enhances the experience - this has been proven by WDI recently.

In this way, I think both Steve and Lee's comments can be considered valid. It sure would be nice to have an upgraded experience to get SM into the 21st century (ie. new track, darker queue, possibly some new audio) but keeping the original show elements that made it so great in the first place (single rider cars, dual tracks, intriguing queue and BG music). Hopefully it'll be better than we're expecting ..

Main Street USA

I guess to each his own, but I've been on DL SM several times and while it was a fun ride, it was fairly forgettable -- I've been on too many similar rides that offer a comparable experience. In the opposite vein, I feel like WDW's SM is much more memorable (yes, in a good way) but it could be so much better.

SM was originally intended to be a cutting edge attraction and while I like the current version, that doesn't mean it can't be better or exempts it from being improved. Most attractions, even so-called classics (HM, SM, PoTC, etc), can be plussed in a way that doesn't lose the original theme of the ride but rather just enhances the experience - this has been proven by WDI recently.

In this way, I think both Steve and Lee's comments can be considered valid. It sure would be nice to have an upgraded experience to get SM into the 21st century (ie. new track, darker queue, possibly some new audio) but keeping the original show elements that made it so great in the first place (single rider cars, dual tracks, intriguing queue and BG music). Hopefully it'll be better than we're expecting ..
I agree with everything you've said here except your last sentence. I'm expecting it to be great when it reopens.

We knew from the beginning what this was going to be...now we're getting it...and our beloved WDW Space Mountain will be refreshed, clean, and get some sweet little plusses. I couldn't be happier, but I know I'm in the minority.

Great post. I would be happy to see the queue more or less stay the same but be more dark. I also enjoy the single rider cars, and think the ride layout is alot of fun

The Conundrum

I was watching the video of the new peoplemover at WDW and you can now clearly see that the queue for space mountain has been sealed off and enclosed. There is now gray flooring/wall that you see from the peoplemover whereas before you could look down and see people in the queue pit. I just hope the new queue is fully themed.

jt04

I was watching the video of the new peoplemover at WDW and you can now clearly see that the queue for space mountain has been sealed off and enclosed. There is now gray flooring/wall that you see from the peoplemover whereas before you could look down and see people in the queue pit. I just hope the new queue is fully themed.

We've been discussing this on the boards since the TTA reopened. Try to keep up con and stop embarassing yourself.

:lol:

I agree though, whatever is under those domes will be critical to how people receive this project.

WDW Vacationer

Remember the painting on the arcade... the whole thing is now white with grey on the towers out in front. I'd post a link,but I don't know if it is ok.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom