Space Mountain track replacement questions

Lee

Adventurer
To my knowledge, there are no earthquake requirements for coasters.
A coaster at Magic Mountain or Knott's or Disneyland is no differently supported than one at Universal or Cedar Point or WDW.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
To my knowledge, there are no earthquake requirements for coasters.
A coaster at Magic Mountain or Knott's or Disneyland is differently supported than one at Universal or Cedar Point or WDW.

Differently? or NO differently? :confused:

Expo_Seeker40

going back to the audio, I noticed that I was able to hear a few sounds while going up the lifthill.....they sound like deep bass sounds.....like radio wave sounds being sent in space...a sort of droning sound. :shrug: :eek:

I could also here the Comm Chat while in the queue for the ride. Is this original 1975 comm chat, or was there no comm chat and we are using disneyland's 1977 comm chat?

the reason I ask this is because I swear much of the same comm chat we hear was actually first used in Mission to Mars for both CA and FL.:confused:

as far as the track goes....when I rode it....I rode track B twice and track A once.....track A whipped us, we flew down that fast....but with both tracks the lifthill seemed especially rough...when our "rocket" attatched to it, let alone the lifthill is very noisy, and you can hear it while in the queue :lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wouldn't DL's track need to be excessively durable to be earthquake compliant? That would seem to be overkill in Florida.

That's actually something that I've never thought about.

Kind of a scary thought, being on a roller coaster during an earthquake. :eek:
A litte blurb that I took in from a conference one year...no idea if it is true or not but it makes sense.

Roller coaster tracks are not rigid and are designed to move. This makes them somewhat naturally earthquake resistant.

RSoxNo1

A litte blurb that I took in from a conference one year...no idea if it is true or not but it makes sense.

Roller coaster tracks are not rigid and are designed to move. This makes them somewhat naturally earthquake resistant.

I never thought about it as being earthquake resistant, but you are correct in that they are designed to move.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I never thought about it as being earthquake resistant, but you are correct in that they are designed to move.
that is the comical thing about people that are looking on to woodies and freak out when the structure moves.... followed by a "Im not getting on that thang, its moving" *zig zag stap in the air*

It`s been tried in Orlando. The result was like all of iasw's tracks playing at once in an airplane hanger. Not good. Improvements in the lift hill area should mean off-car audio could be heard better than it is at the moment, but in the cone, apart from spot fx, forget it.

I`m still trying to get a definate answer about support/audio too. It`s changing week by week. The traditional Soundtracker system used in DLs SM `95, RnRC & SM:M2 will be too heavy for the current setup. New track may be lighter, and new cars may be lighter, offsetting the weight issue. Again, new cars have been a yes and no since last summer. For the speakers, only the bass speakers need to be magnetic cones, NXT technology is just as good and far lighter. Variations of Soundtracker have been developed too, but the common problem is battery weight.

Perhaps the supports can be beefed up to take the extra weight without rebuilding it. Maybe not. I know all the options have been discussed and have at one time or another been at the top of the list. The thing is that list just keeps moving around.

Speaking from an audio engineer's point of view, ferrous magnets aren't used that much any more. Neodynium (sp? sorry my brain is not working all that well this morning) magnets are far lighter and can handle more power -- in other words, they are more efficient. Also there are several manufacturers who are making very light (40-50 lbs. versus 100lbs.) amplifiers these days. I do not think (and this is my opinion not knowing how DL's SM sound system is set up) that the weight issue should be a problem. But I have to agree that the original support structure needs some TLC. Perhaps a total rebuild is the only right choice -- everything else is just delaying the inevitable.

As for the trackside sound system, I truly believe that this is not a viable option. As an audiophile I think that that is a horrible idea and as an engineer it makes my brain hurt as to how I would make such a system work (install, time delays, eq settings, yada, yada, yada...). Remember that SM is basically a large steel and concrete cone with tons of reflective surfaces and you would have to get the trackside sound system up above all the noise the train makes as it makes it's way along the tracks. Once you had the sound system loud enough to get over that the reverb in the room would be horrendous. Now I believe that there are ways to quiet the train down (rubber on the train wheels, so and so forth), but that still leaves the logistics of getting the sound to follow a train around a track that's traveling about 30 mph -- just not a good idea.

Still, it's good to have folks look at things from outside the discipline (outside the box, as it were:D) because that's how I sometimes get my best inspirations!:animwink:

devoy1701

In regards to the audio:

The real answer is . . . there just isn't enough time to add the audio. That's all I can say.

sure there is...if new trains have actually been in the works since the original rumors of the refurb popped up about 18months ago...WDI could have had alot of things in the pipeline already.

devoy1701

The new trains were for another project; SM would have benifited from this.

Having trouble disecting this...so there were new trains developed that will be implemented for SM or there were plans to develop new trains that fell through so the other project and SM both missed out?

Lee

Adventurer
In regards to the audio:
The real answer is . . . there just isn't enough time to add the audio.
Nope. I don't believe that.
There is no "time limit". Any deadline that may exist is purely arbitrary, and can be changed to allow for all the necessary changes (including audio) to be made.
It all comes down to two things:
1- Money
2- Management's inexplicable and irrational fear of having the ride down.

That's all I can say
Oh, please. You can say anything you want.

Having trouble disecting this...so there were new trains developed that will be implemented for SM or there were plans to develop new trains that fell through so the other project and SM both missed out?
Must relate to the new Matterhorn trains that have been in the works.....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Variation on new cars for the Matterhorn in DL.

Lee

Adventurer
Hah! Beat you to it, Martin!

Still, I don't see how that would rule out new trains for MK.
If they want 'em...they can get 'em.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom