Space Mountain track replacement questions

EpcotServo

Hah! Beat you to it, Martin!

Still, I don't see how that would rule out new trains for MK.
If they want 'em...they can get 'em.:shrug:

Yea. Plus if they're already replacing the trains, wouldn't the audio just fit into the development of that?
:shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
Hi. I'm new here so I hope I do this right.

I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but take a look at the new Walt Disney World website, on the Space Mountain attraction page. It says that it will have a soundtrack as well as a new post show, but the train seating configuration will remain the same,

Ummm...the post show described is the one that's been there....

Also, I don't see where it says anything about audio that couldn't refer to what's already there.:shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hah! Beat you to it, Martin!

Still, I don't see how that would rule out new trains for MK.
If they want 'em...they can get 'em.
Na na nana na!

It wouldn`t rule them out. The prototype car was tested for speaker placement. Yep. If they wanted it they could have it. Shame it`s they who are too scared, ignorant or arrogant.

I`m blind. I can`t see anything on the official attraction page of note? What was funny is "Learn about nebulas, meteors and shooting stars in your pre-launch briefing as you prepare to board" :lol: - almost as funny as RCA promoting their HOFL as an attraction in itself :D

Expo_Seeker40

Martin, I was wondering...it was great after a while that sound film of the home of future living and pictures of it surfaced on the internet a few years ago, but have you ever run across audio from the original queue that had narration that went along with the windows in the zig zag queue?

Also, according to an old press release the windows that look into the stars in the star corridor used to look into convex display cases. The only picture I know of that shows this is from an early press release showing a man and woman in the queue looking out the windows. Have you run across any pictures or old footage of the original queue?

*craving old space mountain 1975-1985* I'd figure someone out there must have early camcorder footage of it atlleast around 1984 or 85.

E.L.O'fevre

Sorry about that, I guess I am wrong about the post show part.

This is the part that mde me think they were adding sound to the ride.

"Space Mountain includes a pumping musical score and synthezised electronic sounds of space that are sure to immerse you in your otherworldy flight."

WDW1974

Nope. I don't believe that.
There is no "time limit". Any deadline that may exist is purely arbitrary, and can be changed to allow for all the necessary changes (including audio) to be made.
It all comes down to two things:
1- Money
2- Management's inexplicable and irrational fear of having the ride down......

Exactly.

This is a dollars and NO SENSE decision.

It blows my mind that this most basic of additions isn't going to happen in 2009. Absurd.

As to No. 2 ... do you realize how afraid folks like Phil Holmes and Erin Wallace are of being scapegoated by Jay Rasulo when WDW numbers drop this year? Jay doesn't intend on going anywhere and if he has to cut a loyal minion or two he will ... Phil can't afford to have people not visit 'his' park because Space is closed for a year or two.

CBOMB

As promised earlier, here is a comparison between Disneylands old and new SM track. You can see how the new track is much more substantial, and would seem to require a new, or vastly reinforced, support system.
Old:
DLSMTrack11.JPG

and New:
spmotracks2.jpeg

What this means for MK's version is....well....ummmm....not real sure...:shrug:
Thanks for the comparison pictures Lee. Would the configuration of a side by side vs. a single row of riders make a difference in the weight distribution of an audio system on SM? Also, didn't they have to extend the support system much further into the ground at DL with the new tracks?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
audio from the original queue that had narration that went along with the windows in the zig zag queue
That audio is the one thing I`m missing from the pre `85 days. The star tunnel windows could indeed have had more models in them at one time; there is an access tunnel almost as wide as the star tunnel itself that runs the full length behind the onstage tunnel wall to accomodate the convex star displays. Close up however the models don`t look too great; I`m not sure if the brighter lighting in this area would have ruined the effect. Widen your World does mention such displays.

Here`s the piccy - I`d suggest it has been at least enhanced, if not pasted together:

Attachments

• smstrcdr.jpg
    smstrcdr.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 85

jt04

That audio is the one thing I`m missing from the pre `85 days. The star tunnel windows could indeed have had more models in them at one time; there is an access tunnel almost as wide as the star tunnel itself that runs the full length behind the onstage tunnel wall to accomodate the convex star displays. Close up however the models don`t look too great; I`m not sure if the brighter lighting in this area would have ruined the effect. Widen your World does mention such displays.

Here`s the piccy - I`d suggest it has been at least enhanced, if not pasted together:

I definitely remember models in every window and everytime through I look to see if they have replaced them:lol:. The tunnel was really amazing new. That is one thing that needs restoration.

Mr.EPCOT

I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but take a look at the new Walt Disney World website, on the Space Mountain attraction page. It says that it will have a soundtrack as well as a new post show, but the train seating configuration will remain the same.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/magic-kingdom/attractions/space-mountain/

Great catch!

Space Mountain includes a pumping musical score and synthezised electronic sounds of space that are sure to immerse you in your otherworldy flight.

I love the queue music, but I hardly think that Disney would go to the extent of describing it as "pumping." On the other hand, I would think they would draw more attention to on-ride audio as a new feature.

Expo_Seeker40

cool pics, *sorry not to detract from the thread* but Martin, have you found any other pictures of RCA's Nipper in the UFO. The only picture I know of is on walt dated world. When I went through the queue earlier this week I couldn't find anything that looked like a base for the UFO to sit on. :shrug:

Enigma

Account Suspended

I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but take a look at the new Walt Disney World website, on the Space Mountain attraction page. It says that it will have a soundtrack as well as a new post show, but the train seating configuration will remain the same.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/magic-kingdom/attractions/space-mountain/

Congradulations your new here and already solved the mystery that none of the "insiders" could answer straight :sohappy:

Enigma

Account Suspended
Great catch!

I love the queue music, but I hardly think that Disney would go to the extent of describing it as "pumping." On the other hand, I would think they would draw more attention to on-ride audio as a new feature.

:lol: Maybe there gonna redo the queue audio into a "pumping" tecno-rave remix

Lee

Adventurer
Congradulations your new here and already solved the mystery that none of the "insiders" could answer straight :sohappy:

Actually, he didn't.
Everything on that page seems to relate to the current SM.:shrug:
In fact, that page doesn't enve mention the refurb at all...

Enigma

Account Suspended
Actually, he didn't.
Everything on that page seems to relate to the current SM.:shrug:

Everything except for that part about a pumping soundtrack.

Maybe we should drop WDW relations an email asking about that line on the SM page?

Rob562

Sorry about that, I guess I am wrong about the post show part.

This is the part that mde me think they were adding sound to the ride.

"Space Mountain includes a pumping musical score and synthezised electronic sounds of space that are sure to immerse you in your otherworldy flight."

Or, it's web designers who are writing things on the new WDW website and don't know what they're talking about...

Kind of like the Vacation Planning DVD editors who use footage of Disneyland's two-abreast Space Mountain rockets, Tom Sawyer Island treehouse, Toontown and whichever foreign park's Peter Pan has two-row pirate ships... The newest DVD even has a very brief shot in the WDW section of Guests sitting in a Matterhorn bobsled at the load platform.

-Rob

Enigma

Account Suspended
As to No. 2 ... do you realize how afraid folks like Phil Holmes and Erin Wallace are of being scapegoated by Jay Rasulo when WDW numbers drop this year? Jay doesn't intend on going anywhere and if he has to cut a loyal minion or two he will ... Phil can't afford to have people not visit 'his' park because Space is closed for a year or two.

but isn't this inevitable now? Magic Kingdom is going to take a HUGE attendance drop this year regardless if all the rides are open or closed. If Rasulo had any sense he would fire Phil Holmes and Erin Wallace for causing long term damage to the disney brand in orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom