Space Mountain starting test and adjust

PhilharMagician

Highly disappointing, and a good illustration of how random, questionable, and mostly inaccurate all the info that leaked about the refurb was. Well played, TDO.

And once again....I highly disliked the ride before, and will probably dislike it even more now. I feel another email to Phil beginning to form in my head.:drevil:

We did know this from the start, it isn't news.

Just like the TTA, SM is about back of house stuff and a rework of the queue. Nothing grand. Been saying this all along.

Am I missing something here??? Wasn't there a press release stating the queue update, load zone changes and new track + other items. This info was even listed on the WDW website along with onbaord audio in late May which BTW disappeared from the site the next day. The site also called for an interactive queue.

They have been removing tasks from the list every since this project started and even before it started. I can definately say that I am beyond disappointed! :mad:

brich

I heard the big Space Mountain rehab included putting the Epcot wand on the outside of Space Mountain... :lookaroun

Disney-Nautifan

"sigh"

with all these news about no sigificent changes to space mountain is so far leaving me utterly dissapointed... :(

for crying out loud disney, use your head, and stop doing things on the cheap!! you have LOTS of money, use it properly on YOUR IMAGINATION, NOT YOUR POCKET!!! :mad:

"I'm calm".....

Skyway

I was just comparing new TTA videos to old ones of the SM interior and made a few observations:

* It appears that they have built very large "boxes" (10'-15' high) over the former queue ceiling "window" openings. In the old videos, there were glass windows along the TTA route as soon as you entered the main dome, which allowed you to see both Alpha and Omega tracks. Now, those windows are mostly gone (except for the last 30 feet or so of the TTA route). The new "boxes" completely block the view of the right-hand-side SM track, and block much of the left-hand-side track.(It's clear by the vents or floor lights on the TTA side of those walls that they are permanent, and not just a temporary construction walls) With those large, three-dimensional "boxes", I'm sure the new queue will have more than just a flat ceiling. I wonder if it will be some sort of star or planet projection, similar to what can be found in the new DL SM queue, that will make it feel like the loading area is rotating around in space.

*The track and dome ceiling appears whiter and cleaner. That could be a result of new track and ceiling work. Or it could be newer, brighter work lights. Or it could just be the quality of camera used to shoot the TTA videos!

*It appeared (but I couldn't tell for certain) that the postshow scenes had construction walls intentionally blocking the view from the TTA. Why would they hide the postshow from view unless they had plans to tear it up?

*As mentioned earlier, the lift hill scene looks unchanged. However, I'm not too worried about it right now. I always assumed the basic structure would remain the same, with hopefully some cosmetic upgrades (similar to how the docked spaceship in DL's SM queue was re-decorated).

Trust me, my expectations are quite low for this refurb. But I'm not interpreting the current TTA videos as any sign that the ride is almost done.

The TTA was closed for the first 5 months of the 7-month SM rehab, presumably because of heavy construction in the mountain (dome ceiling, queue ceiling, asbestos, track and system upgrades, etc). Most of that is pretty unglamorous stuff that probably wouldn't be noticeable now anyway. Also, since the actual coaster is the most important part of the attraction, it was necessary for them to make those system upgrades first and get the ride into test-and-adjust, which is supposedly taking place now.

I would imagine that it would be difficult to do any cosmetic upgrades while those infrastructure improvements were being installed. I'm sure the lift hill area has been pretty busy the past few months with workers fixing the chain and installing track sensors, as dust, mold, and asbestos rained down from the guys tearing up the ceiling above.

If the heavy construction is complete and the trains are running again, that leaves 2 whole months to do cosmetic upgrades. Sure, it's not a complete tear down and "relaunch". And its not going to be the major upgrades many of us had hoped for. But considering this is a roller coaster in the dark, it shouldn't take too long to spruce up and improve the few areas of SM that are visible to guests.

Let's just hope they do that.

Disney-Nautifan

I believe it is possible that major changes have been done to Space Mountain. Otherwise, why would disney even close the ride for several months just to redone the ride system. Surely more must be done...

In terms of cosmetically changing space mountain, I think they should go back to Imagineer George McGinnis's original concept art for the ride back in the 1970s, which looks amazing and so futuristic, with the dark comsic tunnel, the delta-shaped spaceship over the launch area, and the beautiful star projections. See the concept art for yourself! its wonderful! :)

What do you guys think? :wave:

janoimagine

Otherwise, why would disney even close the ride for several months just to redone the ride system. Surely more must be done...

When was the last time you rode SM? I rode it Nov. of 08' and I could not believe how run down the attraction had become. It was sad to me that they let a classic iconic attraction get this bad. Now anyone who worked SM always complained about the 'Cascade' effect that was caused when you took too long to load/unload someone, which would essentially cause everything to stop. So to answer your question yes I can: 1) see them upgrading the ride system to prevent this (keep in mind it hadn't really been updated since it was installed in 75' :eek:) and 2) try and fix everything that had been broken from years of neglected preventative maintenance.

Believe me, SM was/is one of my favorite attractions, that I could remember spending 90 minutes in line to ride with my dad and brother in the 80's. I would love to see it get some great upgrades, but first they needed to get it in order and bring it back up to it's former glorious ... all be it dated ... status. :)

DisneyNut2007

:veryconfuI am relatively new to WDWMagic and found it by planning my upcoming Disney World Trip. I have been so excited about going and am not as fortuante as most and am only able to go every 6 or 7 years to WDW. I came across these discussion groups and stuff just because I was curious about things going on with WDW. Mind you everyone that posts on these sites know pretty much NOTHING about what is going on behind the scenes and what is being planned. I love how everyone acts like they have all the insider info. The thing that has made me the most angry though is it seems that everyone that posts on here seems to hate Disney WOrld. I would assume that's not the case because of the amount of time you spend discussing it but everything seems point to a dislike of Disney World. I am disappointed in most everyone on here that claims to be a fan. Way to be jerks about it. Be happy that work is getting done on SM and my lord Disney just built a park TEN YEARS AGO. If they built one every ten years it'd be insane. Enjoy what you've got and look forward to whatever the future brings but don't bash it so horribly. Everyone acts as if The Disney Company Owes them something.

VERY well-stated, my friend. :)

EPCOT Explorer

I hate everything about everything, Im as bitter as Beverley.
Win!

So using that...:lol:
No one hated the track layout.

We hate that it's not getting replaced like Disneyland's.
*sigh* And ours is bigger! Imagine how cool that would have been..:(
I believe it is possible that major changes have been done to Space Mountain. Otherwise, why would disney even close the ride for several months just to redone the ride system. Surely more must be done...

In terms of cosmetically changing space mountain, I think they should go back to Imagineer George McGinnis's original concept art for the ride back in the 1970s, which looks amazing and so futuristic, with the dark comsic tunnel, the delta-shaped spaceship over the launch area, and the beautiful star projections. See the concept art for yourself! its wonderful! :)

What do you guys think? :wave:

Amazing!...It still looks modern!:sohappy:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Am I missing something here??? Wasn't there a press release stating the queue update, load zone changes and new track + other items. This info was even listed on the WDW website along with onbaord audio in late May which BTW disappeared from the site the next day. The site also called for an interactive queue.

They have been removing tasks from the list every since this project started and even before it started. I can definately say that I am beyond disappointed! :mad:

Unfortunately I think you've dreamed that ;)
There wasn't a press release about Space Mountain's refurb.

here is all the news about it as it happened - you'll see its very thin on the ground with official info.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Space-Mountain/News.htm

Most of what you have read has just been internet speculation, not confirmed facts.

Main Street USA

^Why I am disappointed, for all you people who are saying I shouldn't be.
The question is why are you just now expressing your disappointment. Common sense should have told you when the reopen date was announced that all of the big stuff wasn't happening. There was also some fairly obvious hard evidence that implied it, as well.

That's why people are asking you that question. You should have been expressing this when it was announced, not now.

SirGoofy

The question is why are you just now expressing your disappointment. Common sense should have told you when the reopen date was announced that all of the big stuff wasn't happening. There was also some fairly obvious hard evidence that implied it, as well.

That's why people are asking you that question. You should have been expressing this when it was announced, not now.

I've been expressing it the whole time.:lol:

And I'll express it to City Hall after it's done. And to my managers.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom