Space Mountain starting test and adjust

WDWFigment

The question is why are you just now expressing your disappointment. Common sense should have told you when the reopen date was announced that all of the big stuff wasn't happening. There was also some fairly obvious hard evidence that implied it, as well.

That's why people are asking you that question. You should have been expressing this when it was announced, not now.

Why the heck does it matter when you express it? It's not like a few people expressing it online in April or May is going to do anything about it. If anything, the majority of guests (if they are going to express it, so I don't mean the majority, I mean the 'dissatisfied minority') are going to express their displeasure when it reopens. I guess I fail to see why it matters when you indicate dissatisfaction with the refurbishment. It would probably be most logical to do so when you actually experience it and it fails to meet your expectations. Most people now are saying, "I will be disappointed if." Since none of us truly know how the attraction experience will make us feel until we actually experience it, it's premature to complain now where it matters--directly to Disney.

castevens

StitchMountain-1.jpg

TP2000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are doing "test and adjust" with the ride, I would assume that means at least a few rockets are cycling around on the track and brakes and track switches and things are moving. And if vehicles and ride system equipment is moving in the attraction, then major installation of any new show effects or equipment is already done.

They can't have construction workers and Imagineers climbing around in there when the ride is running. All of the new stuff must already be installed by now. Right?

Main Street USA

I've been expressing it the whole time.:lol:

And I'll express it to City Hall after it's done. And to my managers.:lol:
...and I suppose you're welcome to do that.

I don't believe for a second that all of you "incredibly disappointed" people are going to be disappointed at all when it reopens. Regardless of what you expected in the beginning, it's going to be incredibly beautiful in there compared to the state it was in.

I, for one, can't wait for the reopening, and I'm looking forward to all of the old little details, and some new ones, being present and active! November can't come soon enough.

Main Street USA

Why the heck does it matter when you express it? It's not like a few people expressing it online in April or May is going to do anything about it. If anything, the majority of guests (if they are going to express it, so I don't mean the majority, I mean the 'dissatisfied minority') are going to express their displeasure when it reopens. I guess I fail to see why it matters when you indicate dissatisfaction with the refurbishment. It would probably be most logical to do so when you actually experience it and it fails to meet your expectations. Most people now are saying, "I will be disappointed if." Since none of us truly know how the attraction experience will make us feel until we actually experience it, it's premature to complain now where it matters--directly to Disney.
I'm not seeing to many "I'll be disappointed if" comments. I'm seeing a lot of "I'm beyond disappointed" comments. The timing matters because some of you seem surprised when a few insiders tell you what the refurb actually is. We already knew this. "Why the surprise?" is the more appropriate question.

More than anything, it's the over the top "I'm just gonna die" negativity that is beyond exhausting. Seriously? We all love WDW, but I'm also pretty sure that these same people who are complaining will be riding the new mountain with a big smile on their face.

We knew what we were getting. We have for a while now. How 'bout we just enjoy the cool stuff we're getting and not pretend it's the end of the world?

Main Street USA

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are doing "test and adjust" with the ride, I would assume that means at least a few rockets are cycling around on the track and brakes and track switches and things are moving. And if vehicles and ride system equipment is moving in the attraction, then major installation of any new show effects or equipment is already done.

They can't have construction workers and Imagineers climbing around in there when the ride is running. All of the new stuff must already be installed by now. Right?
Seems to me that the ride is separate from the entrance and exit queues, so any cosmetic work in those areas could continue without a problem. Could be wrong, though.

IlikeDW

Has the test and adjust been confirmed by anyone?

Skyway

if vehicles and ride system equipment is moving in the attraction, then major installation of any new show effects or equipment is already done.

Not necessarily.

Different jobs (ride testing, show construction) can be done during different shifts.

If you look at photos of the lift hill from the TTA, you'll see that the FedEx logos are still on the "mission control" props. They have not touched this area yet (And for good reason, as I explained above. Any cosmetic improvements or new lighting/special effects could be damaged by the major track and ceiling construction. The show elements are the last things to be installed.)

Vince3

I am real late to this party.Gotta stop obsessing over Mary Poppins!
Anyway,I for one would be happy if they just smooth out the track a little,fix what is broken & clean it up.
To me SM is a classic.Just needed a little remastering.Just like the Beatles music.No need to modernize it,just remaster the recordings.

bgraham34

I am real late to this party.Gotta stop obsessing over Mary Poppins!
Anyway,I for one would be happy if they just smooth out the track a little,fix what is broken & clean it up.
To me SM is a classic.Just needed a little remastering.Just like the Beatles music.No need to modernize it,just remaster the recordings.

I liked that is was not smooth, because it made for a better ride.

TarzanRocked99-

Unfortunately I think you've dreamed that ;)
There wasn't a press release about Space Mountain's refurb.

here is all the news about it as it happened - you'll see its very thin on the ground with official info.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Space-Mountain/News.htm

Most of what you have read has just been internet speculation, not confirmed facts.

This was release just before the refurb started and did specifically mention track replacement

Disney's Space Mountain will close for a makeover
One of
Walt Disney World's iconic attractions is getting a makeover.

Disney said Wednesday that it will shut down Space Mountain this spring for what the company described as a months-long "refreshment" of the 34-year-old Magic Kingdom roller coaster.

The ride will close April 19, just after the
Easter holiday. It is expected to reopen late in the year, Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said, though a specific reopening date has not been set.

The timetable means Space Mountain will be closed throughout the busy summer-travel season.

The construction work will include installing a new track inside the enclosed coaster, which carries guests in the dark through a series of sudden drops and sharp turns. The layout of the track will remain the same, however.

Other upgrades will include a new enclosure for the ride's queuing area and a new ceiling inside its signature white dome, Finger said.

Finger said the renovations are the first substantial work on the ride since September 1999. The project follows a series of other makeovers Disney has made in recent years to some of its oldest attractions, including the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean in the Magic Kingdom and
Spaceship Earth in Epcot.

Disney fans have been swapping rumors for more than a year that the company was planning a sweeping overhaul of Space Mountain. In 2005, the
Walt Disney Co. completed an extensive, two-year makeover of the Space Mountain at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

But the changes to Orlando's version of the ride -- it's the original Space Mountain, having opened Jan. 15, 1975 -- are likely to be more modest.

"We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain a rite of passage at the Magic Kingdom that's been enjoyed by generations," Finger said.

Jason Garcia can be reached at jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5414.

Copyright © 2009, Orlando Sentinel

SirGoofy

More than anything, it's the over the top "I'm just gonna die" negativity that is beyond exhausting. Seriously? We all love WDW, but I'm also pretty sure that these same people who are complaining will be riding the new mountain with a big smile on their face.

I rode with a smile on my face when Space was filled with what felt like pot holes the size of Mac trucks. Doesn't mean I didn't think they could do better.

We knew what we were getting. We have for a while now. How 'bout we just enjoy the cool stuff we're getting and not pretend it's the end of the world?

:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone here is that insane that they're that worked up about Space Mountain. But I expect big things from Disney, especially after the recent string of good refurbs, and this is a let down.

EPCOT Explorer

Dear lord.:dazzle::ROFLOL:

I'm not seeing to many "I'll be disappointed if" comments. I'm seeing a lot of "I'm beyond disappointed" comments. The timing matters because some of you seem surprised when a few insiders tell you what the refurb actually is. We already knew this. "Why the surprise?" is the more appropriate question.

I really hope that you and others don't think that we are this serious over this kinda stuff...After all, this is DISNEY...not life.:lol::shrug: I make it a point to never get "that" worked up over things like this.:shrug:

And cool stuff? Do you know if we are getting any of that? Honest question, not inciting anything.:wave:

This was release just before the refurb started and did specifically mention track replacement

Disney's Space Mountain will close for a makeover
One of
Walt Disney World's iconic attractions is getting a makeover.

Disney said Wednesday that it will shut down Space Mountain this spring for what the company described as a months-long "refreshment" of the 34-year-old Magic Kingdom roller coaster.

The ride will close April 19, just after the
Easter holiday. It is expected to reopen late in the year, Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said, though a specific reopening date has not been set.

The timetable means Space Mountain will be closed throughout the busy summer-travel season.

The construction work will include installing a new track inside the enclosed coaster, which carries guests in the dark through a series of sudden drops and sharp turns. The layout of the track will remain the same, however.

Other upgrades will include a new enclosure for the ride's queuing area and a new ceiling inside its signature white dome, Finger said.

Finger said the renovations are the first substantial work on the ride since September 1999. The project follows a series of other makeovers Disney has made in recent years to some of its oldest attractions, including the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean in the Magic Kingdom and
Spaceship Earth in Epcot.

Disney fans have been swapping rumors for more than a year that the company was planning a sweeping overhaul of Space Mountain. In 2005, the
Walt Disney Co. completed an extensive, two-year makeover of the Space Mountain at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

But the changes to Orlando's version of the ride -- it's the original Space Mountain, having opened Jan. 15, 1975 -- are likely to be more modest.

"We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain a rite of passage at the Magic Kingdom that's been enjoyed by generations," Finger said.

Jason Garcia can be reached at jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5414.

Copyright © 2009, Orlando Sentinel

Interesting...Maybe they would know something we don't?

majortom1981

hmm

Like i stated before maybe the saw they didnt need new track.

The wheels on the car can be the producers of all the roughness. Maybe they changed the wheels on the cars and noticed that the ride was much smoother.

Why replace the track if you dont have too ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom