Space Mountain Speaker Tests?

For real! Many of Disneyland's attractions make the Magic Kingdom's look like cheap rip-offs. It's so depressing. I used to think they were the greatest things, but after my first visit to Disneyland, I realized all that I was really missing.

Great job Disneyland! Magic Kingdom...it's time to pick up the slack!
Dont look at TDO to pick up the slack, there the reason for the problems in the first place. Look at Glendale and Burbank for assistance.

Mick G.

Having grown up at WDW, and ridden the Disneyland version of Space Mountain a couple of times, I was interested to ride the Paris version. Beyond the theming, which is totally different, there is the covered outdoor loading area, and the launch tube on the exterior as well. No clanky chain lift, but a magnetic launch, uphill, and into the mountain, with a couple of inversions. Much more intense. And some visual FX, although I can't recall details.

My opinion:
DLP > Disneyland > WDW

Mick

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You won't be surprised to learn that I originally typed "Wal-Mart" in the sentence describing WDW's Space Mountain. But I backspaced over that and typed "JCPenney" instead because I thought Wal-Mart might be too inflammatory. :lol:

Space Mountain, Fantasmic! and Indiana Jones are like the holy trinity of Disneyland that quite easily sums up how different Disneyland is compared to WDW when it comes to E-Ticket attractions and large scale entertainment. Glad you could come out to SoCal to experience Disneyland and gain a new point of reference for American Disney theme parks in the 21st century. :wave:

Indiana Jones is spectacular, no question, but DL Space Mountain track layout is dull - only so many times you can go round in a circle. The lack of drops gives WDW's version the edge for me. The best Space Mountain - DLP - by a long way. Not so keen on V2, but V1 was stunning.

WDW's Fantasmic is also superior in my opinion. The way DL's version rises out of nowhere is incredible, but the actual show left me underwhelmed compared to the size and scale of WDW's version. I never thought I would say this until I saw the DL verison, but I prefer the Poca scene to the Peter Pan scenes.

Mr. Morrow

I hope they do something because this was by far the worst refurb in the history of WDW... ok not as bad as Journey Into Your Imagination but close.

janoimagine

Indiana Jones is spectacular, no question, but DL Space Mountain track layout is dull - only so many times you can go round in a circle. The lack of drops gives WDW's version the edge for me. The best Space Mountain - DLP - by a long way. Not so keen on V2, but V1 was stunning.

WDW's Fantasmic is also superior in my opinion. The way DL's version rises out of nowhere is incredible, but the actual show left me underwhelmed compared to the size and scale of WDW's version. I never thought I would say this until I saw the DL verison, but I prefer the Poca scene to the Peter Pan scenes.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Having visited both parks, I feel I can weigh in on this. To me both parks have unique things to offer, both are great. I still prefer WDW over DL because of the size of the Magic Kingdom, its more spread out, things flow better. Disneyland is compact, tight, but it is the original park where Walt started it all, so it has the nostalgia card.

But I laugh now when I read peoples comments like the Wal-Mart version of Space Mountain. I rode the DL version of space mountain 12 times my last trip, 6 during the day, 6 at night, (not that day vs night makes a difference on an indoor coaster) and hands down I will say I like the MK's version better. The onboard audio was great on DL's, the tunnel effects were great, but that was where it ended for me, the MK has the whole package, great que, good ride, and good post show, it does a way better job of immersing you in the ride than the DL version (and this goes for several other attractions were we to compare them too). Of course this is just my opinion, and people can and will disagree with me. :D

CGM

Having grown up at WDW, and ridden the Disneyland version of Space Mountain a couple of times, I was interested to ride the Paris version. Beyond the theming, which is totally different, there is the covered outdoor loading area, and the launch tube on the exterior as well. No clanky chain lift, but a magnetic launch, uphill, and into the mountain, with a couple of inversions. Much more intense. And some visual FX, although I can't recall details.

My opinion:
DLP > Disneyland > WDW

Mick

What Mission did you go on Mission 1[1995-January 2005] or Mission 2[April 9, 2005-Now].

Tigerace81

Agreed. I also give WDW the edge because you have to sit single file. It just gives it a unique feel to it.

RSoxNo1

I think it's a matter of preference but for me, Disneyland's version is far superior because I think every aspect of the ride is better save the track. The track layout in Florida is better, but neither is a particularly strong coaster track. Howevr, I think when you factor in the smoothness of the ride as well, I like Disneyland's better.

So much of the ride is the theming, and to me it's just done so much better in California, and I think it's primarily because of the Audio. It really helps the ride tremendously.

To me, Florida's Space Mountain is one of the most overrated attractions on Disney property. I don't dislike the ride, but in WDW's Magic Kngdom I would rather go on Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion or the Jungle Cruise over Space Mountain.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think it's a matter of preference but for me, Disneyland's version is far superior because I think every aspect of the ride is better save the track. The track layout in Florida is better, but neither is a particularly strong coaster track. Howevr, I think when you factor in the smoothness of the ride as well, I like Disneyland's better.

So much of the ride is the theming, and to me it's just done so much better in California, and I think it's primarily because of the Audio. It really helps the ride tremendously.

Yeah it's all down to personal preference. For me, the actual coaster experience is so much better on WDW SM, I have to make it the winner. The smoothness of DL makes it somewhat sterile, and the bumpiness of WDW really adds to the experience for me. WDW is an up close and personal ride on the track.

Mr. Morrow

Yeah it's all down to personal preference. For me, the actual coaster experience is so much better on WDW SM, I have to make it the winner. The smoothness of DL makes it somewhat sterile, and the bumpiness of WDW really adds to the experience for me. WDW is an up close and personal ride on the track.

Agreed the coaster in WDW is much better than in DL, however the effects are so good in DL that it still puts the DL coaster over the top.

RSoxNo1

See, I love how smooth Disneyland's track is, and hate Disney World's version because of it. I don't like the Matterhorn in Disneyland because the ride is too rough.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
when i think of flying through space... i dont think... rickety wild mouse.

When i think of flying through space I don't think of any coaster! LOL
Mission Space is for space flight simulation, not SM - any of them.

Having ridden the Shuttle simulator at Kennedy, I would have to say the closest of the coasters would be WDW. The shuttle simulator is as rough as heck. I had to check I still had all my teeth in my head. Apparently the shuttle launch is pretty violent onboard.

RobGraves

When i think of flying through space I don't think of any coaster! LOL
Mission Space is for space flight simulation, not SM - any of them.

Having ridden the Shuttle simulator at Kennedy, I would have to say the closest of the coasters would be WDW. The shuttle simulator is as rough as heck. I had to check I still had all my teeth in my head. Apparently the shuttle launch is pretty violent onboard.

well yes, thats simulating a launch from earth and fighting atmospheric resistance not traveling in a vacuum..... Both mission space and shuttle launch experience are mostly LAUNCH simulators... you dont have those forces in space travel itself.. launching from a station etc...

DL would be the better example.

sponono88

F! at DHS is a good show, but when you compare it to its sister show at DL it continues to lag behind as far as upgrades. And it's not just the dragon or the new lasers it got this year -

[youtube]ePSjcHvPOrQ[/youtube]

but even minor upgrades like LED lighting make such a big difference

DHS:
3104037058_245190df9c.jpg
2896242367_28c4af902c.jpg

DL:

3351232870_a4498cce6e.jpg
3681344818_96d539a554.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
F! at DHS is a good show, but when you compare it to its sister show at DL it continues to lag behind as far as upgrades. And it's not just the dragon or the new lasers it got this year -

Like most things, it's all personal preference, but I've seen them both back to back, and I prefer WDW. Old lasers and non-LEDs included. :)

In your photos, the DL pics are over-exposed, and the WDW pics are under-exposed. Look at the difference in Belle's dress. This emphasizes and de-empathasizes the lights.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

My opinion:
DLP > Disneyland > WDW

Mick

Just rode Paris' Space Mountain two weeks ago (in the middle of writing a trip report which will eventually be finished). It is a far more thrilling coaster than WDW or DL, and the outside visuals are much more powerful, from the loading to the launch, to the look of the mountain. The on-ride visuals are also no slouch, with the floating asteroid rocks, etc.

But it is such a different coaster that it almost doesn't belong in the same class as the WDW and DL rides. Space Mountain in Paris is an entirely different kind of coaster. It is more like RnRC (and better than RnRC) than it is like Space Mountain in the US.

I prefer WDW's track layout as well. But DLR's wins for me overall because of a combination of higher capacity (= shorter wait), smoother track, and onbaord audio.

I like DLR's F! show better, because of the Peter Pan scenes. But the experience of watching in Anaheim is annoying as heck. Too crowded; it closes most of the walkways on that side of the park. I prefer DHS's overall experience.

sponono88

In your photos, the DL pics are over-exposed, and the WDW pics are under-exposed. Look at the difference in Belle's dress. This emphasizes and de-empathasizes the lights.

I noticed that too. I don't know much about photography.. I think it has to do with the onboard lighting. If you look at the DL barges you'll notice the horizontal bars and those are LED as well, it makes Belle's dress appear brighter. The DHS barges use smaller spotlights to illuminate the princesses.

Fuzz

Having been on DLP SM it is way better than what we have here in the states. My only knocks against the ride is while sitting in the back of the train you get beat up a bit which wasn't to pleasing, and I personally don't like the old style theming involved.

It would be nice if the brought the magnetic launch to WDW with the various loops/inversions that DLP (not the exact same try to add some creativity). But keep a more modern theme that would fit in with the rest of tomorrowland.

I doubt this would happen anytime soon as it would involve gutting the mountain and redesigning the entire line. Also just based off of memory I think the DLP mountain is bigger than WDW. So adding DLP features just may be all talk as it might not be physically possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom