Space Mountain Speaker Tests?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would be nice if the brought the magnetic launch to WDW
It isn`t magnetic. This seems a popular misconception.

It is an electrically powered motor that pulls a cable pulley, which in turn connects to a puck under the train and pushes it uphill. Like an aircraft carrier without the steam. Or very much like RnRC without the magnets.

Captain Neo

Are there people in this thread seriously claiming Florida's rickety coney island version of space mountain is superior to Disneylands?

wdwfan22

Indiana Jones is spectacular, no question, but DL Space Mountain track layout is dull - only so many times you can go round in a circle. The lack of drops gives WDW's version the edge for me. The best Space Mountain - DLP - by a long way. Not so keen on V2, but V1 was stunning.

WDW's Fantasmic is also superior in my opinion. The way DL's version rises out of nowhere is incredible, but the actual show left me underwhelmed compared to the size and scale of WDW's version. I never thought I would say this until I saw the DL verison, but I prefer the Poca scene to the Peter Pan scenes.

Well said :) I've ridden both and while the effects are better for the onboard ride at Disneyland, WDW's Space Mountain is still a much more thrilling ride. I also agree with your thoughts on Fantasmic

Thrill

I'm hoping that we see these in the near future. Sad to hear that it will probably require a refurb to get onboard audio, though.

Between SM, Fantasmic!, and Indy I am going to be very disappointed when I head to WDW in 3 weeks. :lookaroun

Slightly off topic, but I'd replace Fantasmic! with Pirates of the Caribbean. Though the show was better than WDW's (even before the new dragon, which I can't speak for), I had to watch the show through a tree. The seating at WDW's version balances the two out. Pirates, on the other hand...

cheezbat

i like the overall EXPERIENCE of Space Mountain better at Disneyland. While Space at MK has a few drops, it is a rickety ride with a lack of quality effects that Disneyland's has added. I say smooth out the track, add onboard audio, a much more engaging lifthill like Disneylands, and I say MK's could take the upper hand from DL.

Fantasmic is a tossup...they're a bit different...I really enjoyed the Peter Pan ship segment, and the new Dragon at DL is sweet! Of course, way more comfort at DHS, and a more elaborate set.

Mansion Butler

Yes, music def would be nice. I'm just glad they kept the same classic layout. The west coast version is so boring other than it's fancy lights and music, it's such a pathetic "roller coaster." Hopefully, WDW's can get some music which will just make it even better than what it is, but for now, I can just hum.
I sort of agree with this, at least the part about the layouts. I personally don't like music, but I wouldn't stop riding for it (I like the silence and the sound of other people's screams, I understand I'm alone). But I really, really want to keep low-slung cars and the more exciting layout at absolutely all costs.

I would like banked curves and fewer obstructive super structure if they could ever do that, though. I also liked the ideas others had for a thrill coaster and a "family friendly" coaster, but now we're getting complicated. And, also, this topic is about none of that.

Mansion Butler

I think it's a matter of preference but for me, Disneyland's version is far superior because I think every aspect of the ride is better save the track. The track layout in Florida is better, but neither is a particularly strong coaster track. Howevr, I think when you factor in the smoothness of the ride as well, I like Disneyland's better.
Don't forget the pre and post show. Star Tunnel should have a say here.

WDWGoof07

Indiana Jones is spectacular, no question, but DL Space Mountain track layout is dull - only so many times you can go round in a circle. The lack of drops gives WDW's version the edge for me.

WDW's Fantasmic is also superior in my opinion. The way DL's version rises out of nowhere is incredible, but the actual show left me underwhelmed compared to the size and scale of WDW's version. I never thought I would say this until I saw the DL verison, but I prefer the Poca scene to the Peter Pan scenes.
Same here.

Lee

Adventurer
i like the overall EXPERIENCE of Space Mountain better at Disneyland. While Space at MK has a few drops, it is a rickety ride with a lack of quality effects that Disneyland's has added. I say smooth out the track, add onboard audio, a much more engaging lifthill like Disneylands, and I say MK's could take the upper hand from DL.

Yes. My feelings exactly.
In it's current form, I seriously dislike MK's version.

Stunnerr22

My mom and sister just got back from a trip to WDW and spoke to two different cast members on the topic. Both said that they were adding audio to the ride, but not to the actual cars. They said speakers were going to be installed throughout the ride. Take that for what it's worth.

janoimagine

Are there people in this thread seriously claiming Florida's rickety coney island version of space mountain is superior to Disneylands?

I have ridden them both and still prefer WDW's version over DL's for a number of reasons. Both are great attractions, but WDW's is my favorite.

Pete C

Space Mountain at WDW is a complete joke. To think of what we were going to get compared to what was delivered. I can't believe that a ride that uncomfortable and that punishing is allowed to operate on Disney soil. I am not even going to bother riding it anymore. I rode the one at TDL right after it was refurbished (same as DL but no music) and my eyes were opened as to how this ride is supposed to feel. I have my trip to Anaheim penciled in for 2012 once the DCA overhaul is complete and can't wait to ride SM.

Buried20KLeague

Space Mountain at WDW is a complete joke. To think of what we were going to get compared to what was delivered. I can't believe that a ride that uncomfortable and that punishing is allowed to operate on Disney soil. I am not even going to bother riding it anymore. I rode the one at TDL right after it was refurbished (same as DL but no music) and my eyes were opened as to how this ride is supposed to feel. I have my trip to Anaheim penciled in for 2012 once the DCA overhaul is complete and can't wait to ride SM.

Apparently you haven't ridden SM in Paris. :dazzle:

My kids, 10 and 11 at the time, rode it twice and literally couldn't ride it anymore because it was so rough. My wife and I both had headaches for the entire day after riding. It's the best in the world, but WAYYYYY rougher than anything stateside. Sad, really.

ToTBellHop

Apparently you haven't ridden SM in Paris. :dazzle:

My kids, 10 and 11 at the time, rode it twice and literally couldn't ride it anymore because it was so rough. My wife and I both had headaches for the entire day after riding. It's the best in the world, but WAYYYYY rougher than anything stateside. Sad, really.
SM in Paris has gotten worse over time...

They could actually do a lot on Space Mountain just with the speakers they have already installed.

I believe all of the lift hill music in this video is from speakers outside of the vehicle...and it adds a lot...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPFgtfW_yM

imagineer boy

What's sad is that if WDW's SM had gotten the same treatment of DL's SM during the rehab, it would blow DL's out of the water hands down. But since WDW's was so half-a$$ed DL's still kills WDW's.

DL's was just so smooth, it felt like you were really rocketing through space and the music added so much intensity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom