Space Mountain Speaker Tests?

wdwfan94

Original Poster
So, I was reading a thread over at MIcechat that says that MK Space Mountain is currrently undergoing speaker tests for the rockets. Does anyone konw if this is true?

SeaCastle

I'd love to believe this, but for speakers to be installed in the rockets, the track would have to be reinforced or re-installed like at Disneyland. Since the refurb did neither, I don't believe it's true.

Interestingly, there's been a few permits filed since the refurb for Space Mountain electrical work.

Lee

Adventurer
I'd love to believe this, but for speakers to be installed in the rockets, the track would have to be reinforced or re-installed like at Disneyland. Since the refurb did neither, I don't believe it's true.

Not necessarily. I'm led to believe that some changes were made to allow for audio to be added at a later date. What those changes are, I have no idea. Plus, alterations to the weight of the rockets could lead to enough savings to compensate for the addition of speakers.

That said.....no. The rumor quoted by the OP isn't true.

More likely they'll finally turn on the speakers that they have already installed around the ride track.

SeaCastle

Not necessarily. I'm led to believe that some changes were made to allow for audio to be added at a later date. What those changes are, I have no idea. Plus, alterations to the weight of the rockets could lead to enough savings to compensate for the addition of speakers.

That said.....no. The rumor quoted by the OP isn't true.

More likely they'll finally turn on the speakers that they have already installed around the ride track.

Thanks for the info. If new track didn't need to be installed, than what were the spray painted markings on the tracks for? Would this just be to replace track for structural reasons? Is there a timeframe for which new audio would be added?

cheezbat

Audio really should be added. Even after the 'refurb', our Space Mountain still ranks as the crappiest in my book.

Hey TDO...spend some money on actually completing a TRUE overhaul/refurb on Space Mountain! Give the original the love it deserves!

juan

Thanks for the info. If new track didn't need to be installed, than what were the spray painted markings on the tracks for? Would this just be to replace track for structural reasons? Is there a timeframe for which new audio would be added?

Having personally known the contractors that did the refurb, there was a significant amount of track and structure replaced. With the replacement, there was most likely lots of reinforcement, possibly for future upgrades.

The spray paint markings are most likely at each of the new weld points, making it easier to locate welds for inspection.

Lee

Adventurer
At one point, new track was going to be installed. At another point, the existing structure was going to be modified and reinforced to allow for cool stuff like audio.
Then, at yet another point, they decided to just skip all that and just refurb the queue.
Thus we are left with old, crappy track with spray-painted markings on it.

thats what i thought. but you`d think the speakers wouldnt be that heavy.
Wouldn't have to be. Tech has come a long way since DL installed their original, very heavy, hardware.

Audio really should be added. Even after the 'refurb', our Space Mountain still ranks as the crappiest in my book.
Yes. Agreed.

Hey TDO...spend some money on actually completing a TRUE overhaul/refurb on Space Mountain! Give the original the love it deserves!
Tried that already, and in a much more direct fashion.
They don't listen.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wouldn't have to be. Tech has come a long way since DL installed their original, very heavy, hardware.

True. I'm sure a lot of the weight was due to the amplifiers used.

Old amps= VERY heavy.

New amplifiers can be as little as 7 lbs for 1000 watts of power.

It is absolutely amazing to pick up one of these amps with two fingers. :lol:

SSE

They have installed speakers inside the track area of Space Mountain and are planning on using that to play music. From what I have heard is that they don't want to spend the money to install sensors on the track so when the rockets go by the music goes off. So what they are trying to do instead is try to find out how fast the rockets go through the attraction so they can set it to go off when the rocket passes. I don't know if this is true or not, but it would seem that it wouldn't work very well because depending on how many people are in a rocket it can move a little slower or faster than the one before it.

Lee

Adventurer
I'm told that they have concluded that there is no really good way to sync stationary speakers with moving trains without installing track sensors.
Best they're looking at is some constant sound you catch a bit of as you go past.

Just an extremely ineffective way to add sound. It reeks of cheap.

Rob562

True. I'm sure a lot of the weight was due to the amplifiers used.

Old amps= VERY heavy.

New amplifiers can be as little as 7 lbs for 1000 watts of power.

It is absolutely amazing to pick up one of these amps with two fingers. :lol:

You also have to remember that batteries to run the amps and speakers and electronics, plus the train side of a recharging system can add significant weight to the train. Can't just add a single car battery to the system and let it run 12+ speakers...

-Rob

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm told that they have concluded that there is no really good way to sync stationary speakers with moving trains without installing track sensors.
Best they're looking at is some constant sound you catch a bit of as you go past.

Just an extremely ineffective way to add sound. It reeks of cheap.

I believe off-board audio is what is being looked at and the rumor of onboard has been skewed from this.

the-reason14

Yes, music def would be nice. I'm just glad they kept the same classic layout. The west coast version is so boring other than it's fancy lights and music, it's such a pathetic "roller coaster." Hopefully, WDW's can get some music which will just make it even better than what it is, but for now, I can just hum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom