Space Mountain Refurbishment Info

muteki

I really like what I'm reading. What concerned me most about the refurb is a change of the "personality" of space mountain (which, to some degree has been lost already). I hope they don't change the audio loops, or make any cosmetic changes to the queue area (though functional changes are ok). I just don't want to see video screens on the portal windows in the entrance area, etc.

I hope that the banked turns and sloped drops don't make the ride too predictable, as the sudden drops and fast "mad mouse" turns really make the ride, and give it an old-school coaster feel (which it is).

Quieting the lift is great, darkening is great, new projector is great (though keep it abstract, I don't wanna see stitch flying around out there).

Good News!

jmuboy

Does a wrecking ball fall on that run down sky way station during this process? I hope so.

By the way, if the wrecking ball also knocked out that new Stich stage in the process I would not complain.

MousDad

Wow. I am chalking that up as better than expected. So much for "essential track cleaning and maintenance." I'm happy if this all comes to fruition.

Question: "Banked hairpin turns installed" and "Sloped quick-drops installed" - doesn't that refer to track modifications?

goodtimes5286

To be honest I'm kind of sad about the referb, I went to WDW 3x so far this year (and once in dec) to say goodbye to one of my fav rides, and to be honest I'm fine with them referbing it now.

With WDW as the biggest and best Disney property, with a SM referb shouldn't we get ATLEAST what DLP has?? The blast off is pretty nice, and very space esk. If they're changing and bolstering the track, why don't they just rip and re-do so that it's done for 20 years as opposed to needing another referb after 5??

A blast off, a backflip, and a big drop (at the very end to emulate your decent back to earth) that's all I ask....

but please please PLEASE god no onboard audio, i cant STAND the cheesy DL and DLP music.....makes my ears bleed

Hmm sounds promising. I hope they don't change the queue music ("Star Tunnel") it's my favorite. Everything else sounds great, fingers crossed it's all true :)

goodtimes5286

You`ll be happy then. One hell of a missed opportunity.

lol well no one said they had to recycle the old music, im sure if they didn't try to use the audio from movies in the 50's they'd be fine. The DL music is fine on it's own, but on the ride I just think it dumbs it down.

Ii mean I even have a ride photo with the first time i rode DL SM with that music (b/c the 1st time it was chilli peppers), and I'm like drumming or something. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I know I look silly doing it

muteki

You`ll be happy then. One hell of a missed opportunity.

I agree, there are so many good things you can do with it, but playing cheesy music (or any music for that matter) is not one of them. Lots of effects and timed events for one thing, imagine the possibilities!

And also, random question, does anyone know when the monitors in the final queue areas, with the Space News etc were removed? I didn't ride it from ~98-09, so I guess its sometime inbetween there, but I missed those on our recent trip. If they put something like that back in there (with original content:) ) I would really like that.

goodtimes5286

I agree, there are so many good things you can do with it, but playing cheesy music (or any music for that matter) is not one of them. Lots of effects and timed events for one thing, imagine the possibilities!

And also, random question, does anyone know when the monitors in the final queue areas, with the Space News etc were removed? I didn't ride it from ~98-09, so I guess its sometime inbetween there, but I missed those on our recent trip. If they put something like that back in there (with original content:) ) I would really like that.

OMG OMG OMG 2XXX, i cant believe i found someone else who LOVED that, there was NO reason to take those down, I remember there was like a news cast, and some quirky guy selling used space vehicles and yes that NEEDS to come back, not even in HD, SD is fine, just bring it BACK (something to watch when the lines are jammed)

imagineer boy

Well, this all looks good. I still wish it was DL calliber, but we're lucky getting this as it is.

I am upset about the no on-ride music though. I love DL's music (not a huge fan of DLP's) and it enhanced the ride so much.

muteki

OMG OMG OMG 2XXX, i cant believe i found someone else who LOVED that, there was NO reason to take those down, I remember there was like a news cast, and some quirky guy selling used space vehicles and yes that NEEDS to come back, not even in HD, SD is fine, just bring it BACK (something to watch when the lines are jammed)

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

You are right I loved it, the dialog IIRC was so hilarious, and the whole thing was taken so seriously it was great.

Maybe I can find the loop on mousebits or something :ROFLOL:

SoccerMickey

You are right I loved it, the dialog IIRC was so hilarious, and the whole thing was taken so seriously it was great.

That Space Mountain TV loop was from FEDEX's brief time as the sponsor for Space Mountain. There were some pretty funny FED EX commercials as part of it, as well as commercials for X-S Tech. The aliens in the FEDEX commercials were also on posters that you would see when you would unload. The actor that played the Spaceship salesman was Charles Fleischer, the voice of Roger Rabbit. Also the heavier man that did the fashion review was the voice of the Mayor in The Nightmare Before Christmas. And Mario Lopez was broadcasting from Mission Control. They were a great addition to the queue and its sad that they're missing.

WDWFigment

I don't know why it disappeared or when (I'm sure Martin has much more information on it), but it had references to XS (Alien Encounter) so I imagine if it were to come back, it would be a new video.

muteki

I don't know why it disappeared or when (I'm sure Martin has much more information on it), but it had references to XS (Alien Encounter) so I imagine if it were to come back, it would be a new video.

Well, I wouldn't expect any part of it to come back, given its apparent relation to FedEx, but if they added something in the same vein and style I would definitely like that.

goodtimes5286

That's why AE going down was so bad, it was devolping its own identity and could have possibly later devolped into a movie (like ToT) if Disney REALLY wanted to. Disney quest, SM, AE, where else was XS????

To be honest I think that is what i really liked about AE, it started out in the 90's and slowly rooted itself into other disney areas because it had such a strong back story. Just finish that stitch stuff, reopen AE, bring back the XS endorcements, and lets all have a brighter tomorrow.

HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY, I just thought of something, if WDW actually starts getting sponsors, and someone sponsors SM, do you think we can get to DLP Space Mountain mission 2 status?

jt04

That's why AE going down was so bad, it was devolping its own identity and could have possibly later devolped into a movie (like ToT) if Disney REALLY wanted to. Disney quest, SM, AE, where else was XS????

To be honest I think that is what i really liked about AE, it started out in the 90's and slowly rooted itself into other disney areas because it had such a strong back story. Just finish that stitch stuff, reopen AE, bring back the XS endorcements, and lets all have a brighter tomorrow.

HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY, I just thought of something, if WDW actually starts getting sponsors, and someone sponsors SM, do you think we can get to DLP mission 2 status?

Now your talking. Of course instead of "XS" perhaps "Buy N Large" might be more fun and timely. Or maybe a bit of both,

and what do you mean by "DLP 2 status"?

goodtimes5286

Now your talking. Of course instead of "XS" perhaps "Buy N Large" might be more fun and timely. Or maybe a bit of both,

and what do you mean by "DLP 2 status"?

What's buy n large?

and sorry I didnt put SM in there.... DLP SM mission 2 status (like as good as they made the second version of there SM)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom