Space Mountain Refurbishment Info

Main Street USA

O i cannot wait!!:)
I really want music and a smoother track.
And maybe some new lighting in the queue.I would also like it to be darker
Seeing it with the lights on makes me wanna :hurl:
I found a a video of space mountain with music on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLKuobLk08

I hope it turns out better.Im going in 2010

BTW this is my first day here and I love it.
Welcome! I've been here off and on for a LONG time. While I miss the old days where we were a much more close knit community, this is still my favorite place on the web to grab my WDW fix!

TP2000

Same here. Oh well. Could have been like DL, but it`ll be better than TDL.

Why would they have cut the onboard audio? That seems rather shortsighted to me. The addition of onboard audio for Disneyland's Space Mountain is what really signaled it had been "changed". Even casual visitors noticed that onboard audio effects were new, as the average tourist isn't going to pick up on different carpet, different wall color scheme, upgraded speakers in the queue, etc.

I'm really curious why the decision was made to cancel the onboard audio? Several reputable sources have now stated it was part of the original proposal, but was cut. :confused:

luv2bbq

Space Mountain

I haven't been to Disneyland in 15 years. I'm taking my grand kids in a few week. I'm assuming that its more crowed then ever. Is there a better time of the day to hit some of the rides or is there a better time?

TP2000

This list is interesting, thank you so much for posting it! :wave:

It was most interesting because much of it is part of the rehab that no guest will conciously notice or ever be able to see. I broke the changes into three categories; red being unnoticeable/unseen, orange being noticeable to someone who is very familiar with the attraction ("fanboys"?), and green should be a noticeable change to the average casual tourist from Columbus, Ohio.

I just thought it might be nice to give you some information on the Space Mountain refurbishment...

- New lift mechanism installation
- Audio track being added to the ride experience
- Additional sound effect speakers being installed, along with upgraded audio quality
- Light levels are being adjusted to provide a darker experience as the ride was originally intended to have
- Banked hairpin turns installed
- Sloped quick-drops installed
- Significant track and structure upgrades
- Queue line is being modified for a more efficient queue
- Queue audio is receiving a significant upgrade
- Queue effects are receiving a significant upgrade
- Queue entry room rethemed
- New safety spiel videos added
- New (and expensive) star field projector added
- Upgraded and new projection effects
- Upgraded E-Brake system
- On-ride Special Effects overhaul (lighting and audio), including possibility of new CO2 effect
- Mannequin and set refurbishment
- Upgraded ride surveillance and control booth computer system installation (specifically reducing infrared-induced issues).
- Recarpeting
- Post-show refurbishment
- Tomorrowland Arcade refurbishment (modified layout)

Broken out that way, hopefully some of the green categories can be dramatically different. The "banked" turns and "drops" added should hopefully be noticeable track changes that provide increased G forces and ramps up the thrill factor from the current Gerald Ford era mildness.

The intriguing statement of "on-ride" special effects "upgrade" seems to also be covered in several other bullet points on the list regarding new dome speakers, new starfield effect, etc. Hopefully these changes can be really dramatic and different, rather than just a more vibrant or sharper version of the effects that are already there. And if the queue gets drastically rethemed with big new props, perhaps even to tell an entirely new story and plot like Disneyland's, then that will be a big green achievement.

A few of the orange items might also be sleeper hits. If the "significant" track upgrades provide a smooth as silk ride experience, using Disneyland's new track as a benchmark, then that is going to be a big improvement. Otherwise, much of the orange stuff just falls into the fanboy category of new spacesuits for the lift manequins. :animwink:

The red stuff is probably nice for the ride operators and maintenance men, but not even a fanboy who has built a Space Mountain model out of toothpicks in the basement is going to be able to notice. :lol:

muteki

TP2000

I haven't been to Disneyland in 15 years. I'm taking my grand kids in a few week. I'm assuming that its more crowed then ever. Is there a better time of the day to hit some of the rides or is there a better time?

Disneyland is a dramatically different place than WDW with different guest demographics and a different operational philosophy. Head over to the Disneyland forum on this board to check out the multiple threads there for first-time Disneyland visitors. You'll be glad you did!

TalkingHead

I know what they should do! They chould add a fog effect before you go in the first tunnel!:sohappy:

What would be even better is to have a fog effect that will work for approximately a month and will then never be repaired. That's how WDW likes to do business. :sohappy:

magicmaya

I was cruising the Disney World website, when i noticed that there happened to be no mention of the state of Space Mountain. Anyone know what to make of this?

Link:http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ca...ly_endDate=20090414&asmbly_startDate=20090404

What is going on?

I went to disneyland 2 weeks after SM closed for refurb.I did not know that it was in refurb and that's the only reason why I went to disneyland since I was in LA for a wedding and I'v never ridden space mountain.So I went to disneyland and they had a paper sign just made from microsoft word and said,"Sorry Space Mountain is Closed for Refurb.Come Back REAL Soon!" I was so mad and my heart was broken and I actually started crying.So we headed over to indiana jones and it was Closed too.And I was so mad I said,"Let's just leave NOW!''

magicmaya

What would be even better is to have a fog effect that will work for approximately a month and will then never be repaired. That's how WDW likes to do business. :sohappy:

I know right! They allways do that just like Muppet 3-D.They need to do a whole new show for that.

goodtimes5286

This list is interesting, thank you so much for posting it! :wave:

It was most interesting because much of it is part of the rehab that no guest will conciously notice or ever be able to see. I broke the changes into three categories; red being unnoticeable/unseen, orange being noticeable to someone who is very familiar with the attraction ("fanboys"?), and green should be a noticeable change to the average casual tourist from Columbus, Ohio.

- New lift mechanism installation

The red stuff is probably nice for the ride operators and maintenance men, but not even a fanboy who has built a Space Mountain model out of toothpicks in the basement is going to be able to notice. :lol:

What if the NEW (not updated) mechanism is a Blast off mechanism instead of a pull chain (like the one at DLP), thats what I'm hoping for

I know what they should do! They chould add a fog effect before you go in the first tunnel!:sohappy:

LMAO soooo true, freekin EE! Hey atleast it's still a smooth lift, and it doesnt sound like BTRR's 3 ugly lifts.

I was REALLLY hoping that the would add another lift hill too :(
Blast off from earth, hang out in space, then, loop around the moon and get a boost, then head back to earth and feel the decent.....but I think I'm looking at mission space too much and not realizing thats now how they do things at WDW's MK :brick:

goodtimes5286

BTW what does the CO2 effect do anyway:veryconfu

They make you huff a can of CO2 while on the ride.

It adds to the experience.
LMAO :ROFLOL:goodtimes DAMNIT! lol seriously i cant stop laughing

It's like the CO2 at the top of the MILF energy tanks that hold laughter, or the CO2 on the EE cars (you would have to have gone within the first month before they broke and wernt fixed to know what im talking about), but it something like that.

hopefully it will be CO2 smoking the top of the lift hill as the rocket comes to a hault at the entrance, you hear, 3, 2, 1, we are go for lift off adn then you blast off through the Co2 hulk style. But hopefully it will go over 150 mph. make SM godly!!

magicmaya

No new track supports = no new cars = no new onboard audio.

LMAO :ROFLOL:goodtimes DAMNIT! lol seriously i cant stop laughing

It's like the CO2 at the top of the MILF energy tanks that hold laughter, or the CO2 on the EE cars (you would have to have gone within the first month before they broke and wernt fixed to know what im talking about), but it something like that.

hopefully it will be CO2 smoking the top of the lift hill as the rocket comes to a hault at the entrance, you hear, 3, 2, 1, we are go for lift off adn then you blast off through the Co2 hulk style. But hopefully it will go over 150 mph. make SM godly!!

Why am I laughing at this and what are you talking about?Are you drunk mr? Seriously,what is a CO2 effect?

goodtimes5286

Why am I laughing at this and what are you talking about?Are you drunk mr? Seriously,what is a CO2 effect?

LOL idk why I'm laughin at this, im talking about space mountain going 150mph in the LIFT HILL, i hope not b/c i dont drink, but you never know, and a CO2 effect is the effect that having released so much CO2 into the atmosphere that it caused the ozone layer to breakdown and global warming to increase. It's all right here

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm

Just google "CO2 effect"...it's how disney got the idea to install a machine that overflows CO2 into our atmosphere in the new space mountain :sohappy:

magicmaya

LOL idk why I'm laughin at this, im talking about space mountain going 150mph in the LIFT HILL, i hope not b/c i dont drink, but you never know, and a CO2 effect is the effect that having released so much CO2 into the atmosphere that it caused the ozone layer to breakdown and global warming to increase. It's all right here

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm

Just google "CO2 effect"...it's how disney got the idea to install a machine that overflows CO2 into our atmosphere in the new space mountain :sohappy:

Thanks and I was just playing about the drinking.This is how I act when Im reeeeeeaaaaally tired:ROFLOL::p:snore:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom