Space Mountain Refurbishment Info

jt04

It`s looking like the 1975 audio system in the blue streak tunnel and the lift hill area (yes, there is one!) is being overhauled to provide audio off car, with spot fx speakers around the track, close to the ride cars as they pass. This sadly suggests no music. Audio will not be pumped into the dome; it was tried before with predictably awful results.

I find the spot SFX speakers preferable to on board audio as it provides more of a sense of movement in a 3-D environment. Just a personal opinion. I also think they are making all the right decisions with this refurb.

magicmaya

It isn`t...

Seems Like it.But if they get rid of it there would be nothing to laugh about.If they do I would just bring a bag of chips ahoy and fly them across my face:slurp:. After I get off of space mountain I allways get a mickeymouse cookie ice-cream bar!:slurp:

magicmaya

This list is interesting, thank you so much for posting it! :wave:

It was most interesting because much of it is part of the rehab that no guest will conciously notice or ever be able to see. I broke the changes into three categories; red being unnoticeable/unseen, orange being noticeable to someone who is very familiar with the attraction ("fanboys"?), and green should be a noticeable change to the average casual tourist from Columbus, Ohio.

Broken out that way, hopefully some of the green categories can be dramatically different. The "banked" turns and "drops" added should hopefully be noticeable track changes that provide increased G forces and ramps up the thrill factor from the current Gerald Ford era mildness.

The intriguing statement of "on-ride" special effects "upgrade" seems to also be covered in several other bullet points on the list regarding new dome speakers, new starfield effect, etc. Hopefully these changes can be really dramatic and different, rather than just a more vibrant or sharper version of the effects that are already there. And if the queue gets drastically rethemed with big new props, perhaps even to tell an entirely new story and plot like Disneyland's, then that will be a big green achievement.

A few of the orange items might also be sleeper hits. If the "significant" track upgrades provide a smooth as silk ride experience, using Disneyland's new track as a benchmark, then that is going to be a big improvement. Otherwise, much of the orange stuff just falls into the fanboy category of new spacesuits for the lift manequins. :animwink:

The red stuff is probably nice for the ride operators and maintenance men, but not even a fanboy who has built a Space Mountain model out of toothpicks in the basement is going to be able to notice. :lol:

Man you are one smart cookie.Speaking of cookie are they really getting rid of the qiant chocolate chip cookie flying across the sky

PLeyava

Cascading is when cars are lining up after each other at the end of a ride. Example, when Guests take too long to get in or out of a car at Test Track, the ride itself is still moving, and you have a line of cars waiting to come back into the station at the end of the ride. The cars begin to cascade, and after a while there are too many cars cascading that the ride automatically shuts down for safety reasons. This is why we want Guests to get in and out A.S.A.P. so the ride does not do this.

So anti-cascading would hopefully reduce this effect, possibly by holding trains and chain lifts and such until the unloading area is clear.

muteki

It`s looking like the 1975 audio system in the blue streak tunnel and the lift hill area (yes, there is one!) is being overhauled to provide audio off car, with spot fx speakers around the track, close to the ride cars as they pass. This sadly suggests no music. Audio will not be pumped into the dome; it was tried before with predictably awful results.

This is just my opinion, but I don't like the idea of music on-car. Now I haven't tried it in person at DL, so I don't know how awesome it is, but it doesn't seem to fit the ride well.

I like the idea of off-car point effects, blasts, zooms, that sort of thing.

If they did add in car speakers, they could play com chatter :)p), even add a bit of plot. I would like that. I could see music going well if it were the right piece, but chances are it wouldn't be, and I would rather have sound effects and no music, than sound effects and bad (or poorly fitting) music.

hack2112

This is just my opinion, but I don't like the idea of music on-car. Now I haven't tried it in person at DL, so I don't know how awesome it is, but it doesn't seem to fit the ride well.

I like the idea of off-car point effects, blasts, zooms, that sort of thing.

If they did add in car speakers, they could play com chatter :)p), even add a bit of plot. I would like that. I could see music going well if it were the right piece, but chances are it wouldn't be, and I would rather have sound effects and no music, than sound effects and bad (or poorly fitting) music.
Don't knock in-car audio before you try it. You'd be surprised how it enhances the ride that much more.

jt04

Don't knock in-car audio before you try it. You'd be surprised how it enhances the ride that much more.

It works perfect for RnRC but I think you will find the SM spot audio effective as it fits the theme better IMO. I am just glad to 'hear' :lol: they are going this route.

PhotoDave219

Cascading is what SM is good at. One car stops for various reasons, the one behind stops for a fraction longer, and so on back down the track until the whole ride calls it quits. Almost as painful as UoE to reset from a 101.

Martin, my personal favorite that I've witnessed would be the "Cascading E-Stop because we have to retrieve a Hat" ..... which got me to quickly go out the chicken exit and go right to TTA with a video camera.

imagineer boy

On-board music is surprisingly fantastic, and it really adds to the intensity of the ride. Here's a good video of DL's space mountain with the lights on and the music playing so you can get a good idea of how it flows with the track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPFgtfW_yM

magicmaya

On-board music is surprisingly fantastic, and it really adds to the intensity of the ride. Here's a good video of DL's space mountain with the lights on and the music playing so you can get a good idea of how it flows with the track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPFgtfW_yM

I just saw that video earlier today! Now here is a video with WDW space mountain with music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLKuobLk08

I think we are on our way to getting what we wanted...ON BOARD AUDIO!:sohappy:

muteki

I would love to try it in person one day :D

It works perfect for RnRC but I think you will find the SM spot audio effective as it fits the theme better IMO. I am just glad to 'hear' :lol: they are going this route.

This is exactly what I am thinking.

1st thing: the kids on that ride sound really obnoxious :rolleyes:

I really like the com chatter (3 2 1 etc) but I'm not fond of the audio track. I agree it adds to the experience, but doesn't fit well with my personal image of the attraction in its current state. Granted that may change, but eh. Its a really subjective thing, ya know?

DoctorPrius

This is really a shame. Disneyland, Hong Kong, and Paris all have audio. Japan's didn't and they were critized for it.

When will Disney learn their lesson about taking the cheap way out? when its too late?

marsrunner

The onboard audio on SM in DL is fantastic. The onboard audio on California Screamin' is just okay. I'd rather they didn't play music and just had the countdown before the launch from speakers around the car. I'm not sure, but I think its because California Screamin' is just a ride; there's not really a story or experience other than you are on a really good rollercoaster. Or it could just be that the music sucks. The music on SM is very exciting and is timed to the ride very well. Something like that for FL (though not the exact same track of course) would be most welcome.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think we are on our way to getting what we wanted...ON BOARD AUDIO!
No, as pointed out above it is looking like off board audio. I really hope I`m wrong, haven ridden both DLP Missions with a score it really is like (to nick a catchphrase) riding a movie, but this seems to be more spot fx post lifthill.

magicmaya

I wish they could add side by side seating! The Line would move much faster and you wont feel lonley.It will also be easier to put onboard audio.Its kinda dangerous that 5 year olds that ride have to ride by themselvs.They should be able to rede with an adult. But if that happns they would have to make the blue tunnel bigger.It would be better for people for all shapes & sizes.

Or they could cut a disneyland car in half so there would be more room!

space4.jpg

Kinda like this and put your finger over half of the picture!tada i just discovered our new seating.
Or we could get side by side seating like I said!

It would be easier to do onboard audio too.Look at the speakers,arent they wonderful

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom