Space Mountain - Question

imagineer boy

Maybe...unless the roof covered the TTA track as well.
I don't know that it would...but it might...if they built a roof...:shrug:

I don't think so, I think the TTA is well above the qeue so the roof wouldn't bother it.

I agree with everyone that the roof needs to be put on the load area. It simply spilling too much light into the ride!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I don't think so, I think the TTA is well above the qeue so the roof wouldn't bother it.

I agree with everyone that the roof needs to be put on the load area. It simply spilling too much light into the ride!
i agree that if the roof was 15-20 feet from load area (ground level), it wouldnt effect the viewing perspective from the TTA to the top portion of the track. The only thing i see as problematic is that if the ceiling had some visual effects that required back projections etc, those structures would go up into the view from the TTA

Where Martin with our blueprint exact height from ground of load area to the TTA clearance. :D Martin?

Rob562

i agree that if the roof was 15-20 feet from load area (ground level), it wouldnt effect the viewing perspective from the TTA to the top portion of the track. The only thing i see as problematic is that if the ceiling had some visual effects that required back projections etc, those structures would go up into the view from the TTA

Where Martin with our blueprint exact height from ground of load area to the TTA clearance. :D Martin?

I think the best option might be to incorporate the TTA into the covered Load area so that TTA riders can see Load, and then exit out from the "space station" into the outer space of the rest of the Mountain where you can see the rockets zooming around in the darkness.

So you could build a sloped ceiling that starts low at the wall behind the Load stations, and slants upward to a point above the TTA track where it would intersect with the Mountain roof. Everything under that would be "inside" the space station, including the visible TTA trains (you could even highlight them a bit, make them a little more visible to the people in the SM queue). The sloped ceiling could have large "skylights" that you can see stars through. Then the TTA exits out through an archway or other opening into the darkness of "space".

You'd have to experiment with it a bit to see if it would work, but they could even just put glass in the "skylights" and tint/polarize it in such a way that it cuts down on the light leak into the mountain, and from the load area you can't see the track but can still see the streaks of light from the glowing trains on the track...

-Rob

joel_maxwell

I think the best option might be to incorporate the TTA into the covered Load area so that TTA riders can see Load, and then exit out from the "space station" into the outer space of the rest of the Mountain where you can see the rockets zooming around in the darkness.

So you could build a sloped ceiling that starts low at the wall behind the Load stations, and slants upward to a point above the TTA track where it would intersect with the Mountain roof. Everything under that would be "inside" the space station, including the visible TTA trains (you could even highlight them a bit, make them a little more visible to the people in the SM queue). The sloped ceiling could have large "skylights" that you can see stars through. Then the TTA exits out through an archway or other opening into the darkness of "space".

You'd have to experiment with it a bit to see if it would work, but they could even just put glass in the "skylights" and tint/polarize it in such a way that it cuts down on the light leak into the mountain, and from the load area you can't see the track but can still see the streaks of light from the glowing trains on the track...

-Rob
you absolutely could. Many possibilities. Hopefully they wont hit the floor due to budget. :fork:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sigh...
It's not even a cookie...
:rolleyes:

I vote for a closed-in load area.
So did they - until recently....

Load light leak isn`t a real issue. As mentioned it`s more from the roofless lifthill. That`s why most of both Alpha and Omega load has downlighting.

joel_maxwell

So did they - until recently....

Load light leak isn`t a real issue. As mentioned it`s more from the roofless lifthill. That`s why most of both Alpha and Omega load has downlighting.
Do you have some specs on how high the TTA track is compared to the floor level of the load?

hokielutz

Space Mountain IS falling apart.

There's no joke or argument there. Aside from it's final day of operation, I'm staying off it as much as possible.

With that.... as the fellow message board readers and posters jump on board and whiz around on Space Mountain in the near future... you need to keep this 4 letter word in mind and really take it to heart....

"DUCK!!"

tirian

It only took about six months to refurb Tokyo's Space Mt. I don't think they replaced a significant amount of track, though.

EpcotServo

It only took about six months to refurb Tokyo's Space Mt. I don't think they replaced a significant amount of track, though.

Yes, and I'm sure they kept it in much better shape. Theirs has had frequent short refurbs where ours has been untouched for years.

hokielutz

Yeah, there are woodies out there that old...but they have had all their track replaced numerous times.
Off hand, I can't name another steel coaster that has been running as long (and continuous) as Space Mountain without having it's track redone.
(Yes, Matterhorn has had it's track replaced.)

Of course, one of the main reasons that the track has lasted so long is because of the controlled environmental conditions within the building. Coasters such as the Matterhorn is subjected to the harsh expansion and contraction of the material due to changing temperatures to its exposed portions, and rain, humidity, etc...

Don't mis-interpret what I said above, because I'm still in favor of replacing at least the track & vehicles.... After 33 years of near continuous operation, our favorite mountain is in need of a little more than a spit-shine.

hokielutz

You would on the Peoplemover. And you could even see them better. Honestly those things ALWAYS looked cooler on the Peoplemover. You can't really see them as good from the queue anyways.
:shrug:

Here is a question to those who might know...

How long has that crappy & dirty plexi wall been in place on the TTA inside the mountain?? It wasn't original to the design, right?

tirian

Here is a question to those who might know...

How long has that crappy & dirty plexi wall been in place on the TTA inside the mountain?? It wasn't original to the design, right?

About as long as the crappy and dirty walls throughout Tomorrowland. And the crappy and dirty pavement. And the crappy and dirty Buzz Lightyear queue. And the crappy and dirty area surrounding Cosmic Ray's.

:lol:

All of TL needs to be gutted and rebuilt!

kidrericha

Oh, come on... :rolleyes:

You're the one that needs to "cool their jets" because you're getting fussy over someone disagreeing/who doesn't share the same thoughts as you.

I don't particularly agree w/ the-reason14, either, but am I complaining and arguing about it? No, I'm not. Why? Because people have their different opinions about life and what's in it.

To him, Space Mountain is what makes his trip. It is his opinion and his alone.

But to you, DL's Space Mountain is superior to WDW's. Again, that is very much your opinion. It's not considered fact. I'm sure there's ONE person out there who prefers to ride a clickity-clangy coaster over one that has the Red Hot Chili Peppers blasting in their ears.

Aside from that, it's not like he's never going to go back to WDW again because his favorite ride is closed. He'd just wait for it to reopen to visit again. Plain and simple.

And lastly, was it really necessary to try and humiliate him like that?

I'm sorry, but things like this really get on my goat.

That's all.

-steps off of soapbox-
How can you criticize me with a post acheiving the same purpose. You even end it by getting off your proverbial soapbox. Nice to meet you, pot, my name is kettle.

No, not necessary... but easy to the point where I didn't really try.

Oh, and sorry for getting on your goat. I bet you're the guy who says, "For all intensive purposes", huh?

P.S. The Chili Peppers music has been gone for a while.

kidrericha

Whoa, someone has too much time on their hands. I dont think I was responding to you in my original posts anyway, but either way, whatever man. I have better things to do, but have fun misinterpreting people quotes on here. :cool:
That's funny.... and untrue. Read back your posts, wise guy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom