Space Mountain Predictions! ;)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
DL's mansion looks like a REAL abandoned haunted house. Looks like Candyman is in there haunting the place.

WDW's mansion looks like a theme park ride. It's not authentic. You can even see the show building :ROFLOL:

I guess it's all opinion. I have to disagree with you.

It is totally authentic, it is just as authentic of a style of architecture as DL's Southern Mansion.

As far a the show building goes...:rolleyes: You know you are at a theme park, there has to be a degree of suspension of disbelief.

SirGoofy

HMH on the other hand.. I'll admit I actually prefer HMH to the original mansion storyline :lookaroun I love seeing the mansion all decked out for the holidays. The twinkling candles/pumpkins and the creepy christmas music playing out in the queue.. and the ride, soundtrack, narration are all perfect. You can't beat the graveyard scene covered in ghostly white snow!

Too bad that would ruin people's vacations at WDW.:zipit:

SirGoofy

As far a the show building goes...:rolleyes: You know you are at a theme park, there has to be a degree of suspension of disbelief.

And you really have to be looking for the building to notice it.

I never did until i worked in the park, and it doesn't bother me.

EPCOT Explorer

I completely agree. WDW Haunted Mansion gives you the chills. DL's looks like a warm Southern mansion.
Yeah...there is nothing creepy about it.
DL's mansion looks like a REAL abandoned haunted house. Looks like Candyman is in there haunting the place.

WDW's mansion looks like a theme park ride. It's not authentic. You can even see the show building :ROFLOL:

It was the first one built like that....and has a copy in TDL. :shrug: The one in TDL isn't authentic, yes, but ours is.I find it much more haunted.

And I STILL cannot see the show building....and TRUST ME...I looked in Aug. Paced around the Mansion...They have covered it..:lol:

The Conundrum

No you can see it. It'd be impossible to cover.

But again, you really need to be looking for it, and it's not bad show.

You do know it used to be covered right? Disney has removed tons of trees from the MK and there was a hurricane that damaged some trees by the mansion and rather than replacing them Disney just removed them entirely. It used to be better covered.

SirGoofy

You do know it used to be covered right? Disney has removed tons of trees from the MK and there was a hurricane that damaged some trees by the mansion and rather than replacing them Disney just removed them entirely. It used to be better covered.

It's still covered really well, and not obvious at all to anyone who doesn't know the building is even back there.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

It's not that big of a deal. It's a plain warehouse painted green. You have to be aware of it's presence to even pay attention to it.

david10225

Here are 3 pictures I took of DL's haunted Mansion last week (since you guys were talking about it...). I hope they are not too big. This is the very first time I ever tried to include a picture in a post...

Picture 1
7732_1146827470372_1218101032_30514475_6407994_n.jpg

Picture 2
7732_1146827590375_1218101032_30514478_5948768_n.jpg

Picture 3
7732_1146827790380_1218101032_30514483_6291532_n.jpg

RSoxNo1

The effects in Disneyland's mansion aren't as good as those in Disney World's. The audio in Florida is better, our version is longer, and had a more substantial upgrade more recently. As of right now, Disney World's is better - However as I said, I would not be surprised if Disneyland's version trumps Disney World's after they remove Haunted Mansion Holiday.

djkidkaz

If I ever get to a point where my WDW "love" revolves around me walking around the parks looking for imperfections, please kill me.

EPCOT Explorer

No you can see it. It'd be impossible to cover.

But again, you really need to be looking for it, and it's not bad show.
So, why not put brick work on it to make it look like the mansion?

I seriously could not find it.:lol:

Here are 3 pictures I took of DL's haunted Mansion last week (since you guys were talking about it...). I hope they are not too big. This is the very first time I ever tried to include a picture in a post...

Picture 1
7732_1146827470372_1218101032_30514475_6407994_n.jpg

Picture 2
7732_1146827590375_1218101032_30514478_5948768_n.jpg

Picture 3
7732_1146827790380_1218101032_30514483_6291532_n.jpg

Looks happy to me.:lol:

EpcotServo

I think of it that way, only with OUR details. That's OUR mansion.- Charming and quant LS, the imposing brickwork of a aging Mansion, the aura it has at night...the sounds of howling....:D Gothic, foreboding, and evil....HMDL almost looks welcoming.:shrug:

Yeah. The Edgar Alan Poe look, combined with the "village" of LS lit up at night is chilling.

Difference of opinion as always, Servo!

I completely agree. WDW Haunted Mansion gives you the chills. DL's looks like a warm Southern mansion.

Yeah...there is nothing creepy about it.

Looks happy to me.:lol:

The Mansion was originally going to look beat up and imposing but Walt refused. He said...

"We'll take care of the Outside, and let the Ghosts take care of the inside."

And that nothing should look beat up in Disneyland. In all of the other Disney Parks, the aesthetics are chosen carefully and has made some great stuff, including the cool imposingness and eerie look of ours.

But because of Walt, nothing looks like it hasn't been taken care of at Disneyland, including the Haunted Mansion!

It's easy to say "Ooo, this one's creepier", and that is a positive for ours, but the Haunted Mansion doesn't need to look scary (The prize for that attribute goes to Paris' foreboding Phantom Manor of course.) because it's THE HAUNTED MANSION.

It doesn't need to feel scary or creepy, you just have to take a look at it's welcoming front gates, and that creepy tower turret on top (Which you have to sit and watch at night, to see the Bride's candle floating back and forth...:D) to know that you're just a walk away from Marc Davis' hilarious characters, Rolly Crump's unusual odds and ends, Yale Gracey's baffling illusions, and of course Claude Coat's chilling chambers.

It's not a competition over which is scarier. It's about recognizing that while all of them don't have to compete- Disneyland will always have THE Haunted Mansion.
:sohappy:

love seeing the mansion all decked out for the holidays. The twinkling candles/pumpkins and the creepy christmas music playing out in the queue.. and the ride, soundtrack, narration are all perfect. You can't beat the graveyard scene covered in ghostly white snow!

Truer words have not been spoken in this thread! Haunted Mansion Holiday is the best thing since ever. Don't even get me started on how it looks during Holiday.
:lol: :D

TP2000

Truer words have not been spoken in this thread! Haunted Mansion Holiday is the best thing since ever. Don't even get me started on how it looks during Holiday.
:lol: :D

I agree. I'm not a big Nightmare Before Christmas fan, although I did finally watch the DVD a couple years ago, but I just absolutely love Haunted Mansion Holiday! It's over the top and simply fabulous, and it opens for the season in four days! :sohappy:

Interesting thing to remember about Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is that the house itself was built in the winter of 1962-63 when the attraction was still going to be a walk-through led by a maid or butler acting as a tour guide. But the attraction didn't open for six more years, and in between the concept changed from a walk-through tour to a ride-through in a new invention called the Omnimover.

Also interesting is to note the nomenclature difference between the two coasts. At WDW the attraction is titled "The Haunted Mansion", but at Disneyland it's titled "Haunted Mansion" without the word "The" in the title. In recent years that difference has gotten a bit sloppy by some folks (even casual Disney Company sources) who aren't paying attention to the official nomenclature, but the difference in title has been there since 1969/1971. See for yourself...

Disneyland's Haunted Mansion
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...ions/detail?name=HauntedMansionAttractionPage

WDW's The Haunted Mansion
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/magic-kingdom/attractions/haunted-mansion/

And in Tokyo, they copied the house from Florida, but went with the shorter title from Disneyland
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tdl/english/7land/fantasy/atrc_haunted.html

Jaytrod

I'm thinking darker ride, enclosed queue which hopefully will be redesigned to keep the line from reaching the lunch pad , changed ending with perhaps a photo shop like most of the other coasters, new signage , and some new light and audio effects during the ride.

marsrunner

It ruined mine in DL. I was there for the Expo, and the HM was closed. I will never forget that. :fork:

... and my favorite attraction too. :fork:
That's unfortunate for you, but with so many wonderful things to see and do at Disneyland and Walt Disney World I'd be hard pressed to say the temporary closure of any one attraction would "ruin" my vacation. I've been to DL when Haunted Mansion was closed and when the Matterhorn Bobsleds were closed (on seperate trips) and the closures did not ruin my vacation or even put a dent in it. I'm just happy that the attractions get the TLC they need and figure I'll catch it next time. I'm sure if it was my only visit ever I'd be more disappointed, but even so there'd still be so many great things to do that two or three attractions down at once wouldn't ruin my trip.
Slightly OT, but Disneyland NEEDS to close Indy for a good long refurb. Its slowly edging into the bad show situation that Space Mountain at WDW was in before its long-overdue closure. I can't imagine why its not getting one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom