Space Mountain photo and video update (Sat 10 oct) - astronauts removed

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks Steve for the pics and video. :sohappy:

I wonder if they're making the Astronauts into AA's. I love the sandstone colorscheme on the arcade, and it looks like a spacious, circular fountain is being built using the remaining pipe system from the old skyway waterfall.

One thing I noticed is that the back of the arcade is still faded blue and salmon pink, hopefully that will be repainted as well.

Let's hope so on all accounts! A water feature out there would be great.

They are indeed currently painting the back side of the arcade. :)

EpcotServo

Not surprising, the Astronauts are union and were the most ardent supporters of Space Mountain getting more during the rehab, a walk-out was sure to come.

MissM

Thanks Steve!:wave:

Were the construction walls moved back? I thought the side of the arcade was walled off. it does not look like that in the pictures.
YES! The walkway along the side has reopened! I was just there for a few hours today.

I took pics of the area and the new LIME GREEN "Space Mountain" sign thinking it'd be breaking news but...guess someone else was at MK today as well. :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for the pics/video!

Now, I still find it interesting that while the SSE astronauts are removed, the 1975 RCA launch pad engineers are still there. :lookaroun
Almost - the SSE astros are / were in the postshow. The ones that were on Explorer One are 1975 vintage.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Did you see the trench dug out in a circle about 3ft across, 25ft in diameter and 1ft deep in the dirt between the Skyway building and the SM entrance?

I seen that to... along with the markers.:D First thing I thought of was fountain as someone else had said. That would be nice if it were. :D

E-Ride Night

Anyone else upset that the original "Nowww Approooaching" voices aren't in it anymore? The guy that speaks now doesn't sound interesting at all, and I was bored watching the video. It doesn't have that Disney classic essence anymore...

But hey that's just me....Just another reason why Tomorrowland is going down the shhitter (Stitch, etc.)

I guess it's just never going to be like it was 10 years ago with that classic feeling I got walking around that area....Oh well.

Ooo........it's awesome to see them still working on things. I can't wait to ride it and see what the end result is. I'm still suprised they left that all visible from the TTA!

jt04

OK, spiel is fine. I'm really fine with it. But I also saw several very interesting things that fit the rumors we are hearing. So far, so good. Nice job whoever shot the video.

EpcoTim

Did you see the trench dug out in a circle about 3ft across, 25ft in diameter and 1ft deep in the dirt between the Skyway building and the SM entrance?

The newly installed troughs in the mens room will supposedly flow into this creating Disneys very own long yellow river.

Skyway

While on TTA tonight, I heard the "Space Shuttle, this is Flight Safety..." speil playing (it sounded like it was on the left track as you're heading into the mountain, and it was past the Explorer opening, so it must have been coming from the area before the blue strobe tunnels)

I thought this was odd and interesting for several reasons.

I don't know why that audio loop would be playing when all other sounds were off. Surely that loop can be switched off, if only to keep the workers from going insane.

I would have assumed that warning spiel would have been re-lawyered and re-recorded. The fact that it is still there could mean they are keeping that classic announcement (it could also mean they just haven't replaced it yet)

If it does stay, I hope they find a way to play it only once per "launch". The endless loop before leaving the station, followed by another loop as you're locking on to the lift chain is absolutely overkill.

toolsnspools

Is it me or is that the new color for the Space Mountain logo behind the guy leaning on the hand rails outside the entrance in one of those pics?

I saw the same thing. Looks like the sign under the overhang is complete and it matches the lime green that is trimming the new blue. A lot of the other signs look like they can be easily switched out in the last few days before openeing.

Skyway

It could be a fountain. But it just as easily could be a planter. Maybe even a place to put a new "Fastpass Entrance" sign, since the newly-expanded plaza will eliminate the bottleneck in that area.

mikeb_86

It looks to me like it might be a Fountain with a seating for people who dont ride sm. i just hope it all opens with space mt then we will find out.

EpcotServo

If it does stay, I hope they find a way to play it only once per "launch". The endless loop before leaving the station, followed by another loop as you're locking on to the lift chain is absolutely overkill.

Yes, If the moments between the Blue Tunnel and the lift hill are exactly the same, I'll be very dissapointed as that moment kills the flow and anticipation that makes Disneylandtype Mountains much much more effective, even more so with Music.

Good with music, not good with endless looping safety announcements.

IRBIWDW

Anyone else upset that the original "Nowww Approooaching" voices aren't in it anymore? The guy that speaks now doesn't sound interesting at all, and I was bored watching the video. It doesn't have that Disney classic essence anymore...

But hey that's just me....Just another reason why Tomorrowland is going down the shhitter (Stitch, etc.)

I guess it's just never going to be like it was 10 years ago with that classic feeling I got walking around that area....Oh well.

I'm trying to be positive, but I am also upset that the "Nowwww Approoaching" voice is gone! I am REALLY going to miss that. I am not sure why, but that was one of my favorite parts of that ride. I couldn't wait to hear that. It was just one of those things that when we heard that voice.....we knew we were there. Good thing I have videos from previous trips. :)

Mouse Man

First thank you very much for the video. October 2010 can not come soon enough for me. I listened to the video and truly miss the big booming voice of "now approaching space mountian".

EPCOT Explorer

VERY cool. Hope those figs become AA's. That would be a nice step forward...

Steve, you said you want painting on SM..? Has it already happened!?:eek::lol: SM looks VERY VERY white from those pictures! Stunning, in fact...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom