SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

EPCOTPluto

Ironically I think it's most visible on the Fastpass side.

I can't stand when people blast Fastpass - especially the Fanboys on here that know how to use it at maximum effeciency. Yes, I'm selfish, but I have no problem with using the system while others don't. It means I can see more things than I otherwise would be able to.
I have seen the ball pit on the standby line as well.

I LOVE FP at all costs, though I like to see the details of the standby queue in some attractions.

Some attractions do not even need FP, so why the extra machines for HISTA or Philharmagic? :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

I have seen the ball pit on the standby line as well.

I LOVE FP at all costs, though I like to see the details of the standby queue in some attractions.

Some attractions do not even need FP, so why the extra machines for HISTA or Philharmagic? :shrug:

Good question, seeing that it's not needed for Theater Shows or Omnimovers, numerically speaking.:zipit:

juan

Good question, seeing that it's not needed for Theater Shows or Omnimovers, numerically speaking.:zipit:

it's not "needed" too often, but sometimes in the summer things like HISTA can be so crowded that FP is really useful
lines can be backed up multiple shows and for some shows with long showtimes or non continuous shows (ie VotLM) wait times can get horrendous

EPCOT Explorer

it's not "needed" too often, but sometimes in the summer things like HISTA can be so crowded that FP is really useful
lines can be backed up multiple shows and for some shows with long showtimes or non continuous shows (ie VotLM) wait times can get horrendous

Does it really work well? I was under the impression that it was terrible.

RSoxNo1

I collect fastpasses, and I asked a CM at HISTA when it runs. He informed me that they only run it on Christmas and New Years. I know they ran it in June of 08, but I imagine that HISTA and It's Tough to be a Bug don't get much use out of the fastpass machines.

EPCOTPluto

I collect fastpasses, and I asked a CM at HISTA when it runs. He informed me that they only run it on Christmas and New Years. I know they ran it in June of 08, but I imagine that HISTA and It's Tough to be a Bug don't get much use out of the fastpass machines.
Neither does SGE. :lookaroun:zipit:

RSoxNo1

Stitch's Machines get a bit more use if I'm not mistaken. That being said, I haven't been able to get any of the actual issued fastpasses for those machines.

EPCOTPluto

Stitch's Machines get a bit more use if I'm not mistaken. That being said, I haven't been able to get any of the actual issued fastpasses for those machines.
Really? I usually see them closed and draped whenever I am at MK. I would think it will be used now for the holiday crowds.

And they sometimes malfunction. I remember 2 years ago, I inserted my ticket into all 12 FP slots, each one printing out a FP good for later. Needless to say, we ended up not using them. It was late, and the lines for SGE were relatively quick. I think I have them somewhere still... :lol:

RSoxNo1

Really? I usually see them closed and draped whenever I am at MK. I would think it will be used now for the holiday crowds.

And they sometimes malfunction. I remember 2 years ago, I inserted my ticket into all 12 FP slots, each one printing out a FP good for later. Needless to say, we ended up not using them. It was late, and the lines for SGE were relatively quick. I think I have them somewhere still... :lol:

They weren't being run on the day after Thanksgiving, but I've seen them being run more than I have seen It's Tough to be a Bug and/or Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

I do feel now that they've recently refurbished It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion, each of those would be better suited to have Fastpass machines than Mickey's PhilharMagic, Stitch's Great Escape, Honey I Shrunk the Audience or It's Tough to be a Bug.

Kuhio

I finally got around to riding the post-furb Space Mountain this past weekend. It was pretty much as I expected, based on the detailed reviews and photos that people have posted to this thread since it soft opened weeks ago.

Still needs improvement:
- Cleanliness of the outside -- it's filthy.
- Silent lift hills! The clanking is incredibly loud and distracting (including the clanking on the lift hills that bring the empty vehicles back to the loading level).
- I don't mind the location of the onboard photo, but couldn't they have done something to the wall behind the vehicles? In the photo, it shows up as a plain black wall with seams and rivets, which makes the photo look like you're in some kind of dark ride and not flying through space. Just having some sort of appropriate space decoration on the wall would solve the problem.
- The red lights from the cameras toward the end of the ride. Either change the placement, or do something so that they're not quite so obvious and distracting.
- Also, please shake a leg and finish the green-screen camera thing at the end of the exit queue. Without it, the bright lime green wall comes off as aesthetically loud, irritating, and pointless.

Not bad:
- The queue games were fine. I don't think they were absolutely necessary (and I did see them disrupting the flow of the queue at times), but they're unique and do help tie the theming of the attraction together -- especially with the references to the game tasks that appear again in the post-show.
- I miss having the ability to see the coaster and shooting star effects while in the queue, but I like the space station scenes projected in the queue ceiling.
- The ride could have been darker overall, but I'm fine with what they ended up with. There are parts of the track that are virtually pitch black, and other parts where you can see almost everything for short periods of time. It mostly depends on where in the layout you are, and where you're facing relative to the illuminated lift hills, which give off a fair amount of light. Still, the layout is disorienting enough that, for the most part, you can't tell where you're going -- which should suffice, unless you've committed the layout to memory (in which case having the ride be pitch-black isn't going to make a difference anyway).

Great:
- The post-show scenes. Not that elaborate, but nice and appropriate -- particularly the "Constellations" future city.
- Keeping the red re-entry tunnel. Along with the sound effect, the tightness of the tunnel perfectly suggests a turbulent, fiery return that the generic flashing lights in DL and HKDL don't.
- I didn't find the new track any "smoother" at all, whether in the front or the back of the rockets -- which was definitely a good thing. You still have the same visceral feeling of racing through space, out of control, that the bland, DL-type layout lacks.
- No onboard audio. The ultimate decision to not put audio in the vehicles was the correct one, whether it was reached for the right reason (the realization that SM doesn't need this gimmick, which adds nothing to the theming) or the wrong reason (general TDO cheapness that manifests itself everywhere else throughout WDW).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Along with the sound effect, the tightness of the tunnel perfectly suggests a turbulent, fiery return that the generic flashing lights in DL and HKDL don't.
Was the sound effect in sync yet? I rode several times 2 weeks ago and both Alpha and Omega were so out of sync the jet whine was inaudible and the boom came as you left the tube.
No onboard audio. The ultimate decision to not put audio in the vehicles was the correct one
Personal opinion :p

Lee

Adventurer
I didn't find the new track any "smoother" at all, whether in the front or the back of the rockets -- which was definitely a good thing.
and
The ultimate decision to not put audio in the vehicles was the correct one...

fc28c598.gif

Rough track and no onboard audio = Complete waste of time and total failure of the refurb.
That is all.:cool:

marni1971 said:
Personal opinion
Yep.

TalkingHead

- I don't mind the location of the onboard photo, but couldn't they have done something to the wall behind the vehicles? In the photo, it shows up as a plain black wall with seams and rivets, which makes the photo look like you're in some kind of dark ride and not flying through space. Just having some sort of appropriate space decoration on the wall would solve the problem.

- The ride could have been darker overall, but I'm fine with what they ended up with. There are parts of the track that are virtually pitch black, and other parts where you can see almost everything for short periods of time. It mostly depends on where in the layout you are, and where you're facing relative to the illuminated lift hills, which give off a fair amount of light. Still, the layout is disorienting enough that, for the most part, you can't tell where you're going -- which should suffice, unless you've committed the layout to memory (in which case having the ride be pitch-black isn't going to make a difference anyway).

I got a chance to ride on Saturday, and was impressed when the ride had gone 101 twice by 11:00.

I also thought the ride was darker, but a few times it seemed like the flash from the on-board photo op for other cars lit up the coaster's structure for my rocket that was already going through the "dark" sections of the ride. It may have only been noticeable when my rocket was facing in the general direction of the camera, but still, it was quite distracting and sloppy--especially since it seems like they covered the queue to help with the darkness.

I also didn't find the covered queue to be that impressive, certainly not as impressive as the Disney blog made it look.

Overall, I'd give the refurb a B, but that's probably because I liked the ride to begin with.

Jasonflz

- No onboard audio. The ultimate decision to not put audio in the vehicles was the correct one, whether it was reached for the right reason (the realization that SM doesn't need this gimmick, which adds nothing to the theming) or the wrong reason (general TDO cheapness that manifests itself everywhere else throughout WDW).

I have to agree. I don't like the whole idea of music in space.

Travelguy31

I rode space mountain this past weekend and I have to admit that I didn't notice that the ride was any darker. In all honesty, to me, it seemed less dark. I actually rode twice, once with my IPOD playing the music from DL SM and it synced up nicely and the second time without. I personally like the idea of having onboard audio but its not a must for me I guess. A great ride either way. The new queue area looks great though, although there were some areas that looked still like they needed some TLC though. Most noticely the floor in the load area looked a litte sloppy IMHO. My partner does concrete finishing and he was really shocked at how poor the workmanship was with the floor in that area.

EPCOT Explorer

and

fc28c598.gif

Rough track and no onboard audio = Complete waste of time and total failure of the refurb.
That is all.:cool:

Yep.

Exactly how I view it. Space should be sleek, smooth, and adventurous...Music would add to that. Right now it's like Star Tours but without the music.:shrug:

Don't know if I'll bother with SM, if it's the same ride I rode in 2001.

hack2112

- I didn't find the new track any "smoother" at all, whether in the front or the back of the rockets -- which was definitely a good thing. You still have the same visceral feeling of racing through space, out of control, that the bland, DL-type layout lacks.
Technically, since space is weightless, the feeling of beeing in space would be ultimate smoothness. This would only change when you enter a major gravitational field.
Also, your opinion.
Is it an opinion that I think is incorrect, but your opinion none-the-less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom