SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

EPCOTPluto

Best part of the rehab is the Disneyland T-Shirt.

Haven't seen this reported, but the Earth Projection was replaced with a cool space colony projection, but the lack of Stars and other Projections and the noticeably mechanically noisy ride and lack of audio makes the whole rehab moot.
That is an excellent tee, isn't it? :D

I also spotted the space colony from the Omega side. Now if they can explain a little more what it's supposed to be, since it's also visible from the loading queue. Other than the Loofah Asteroids & the Milky Way, the projections were less noticeable. :shrug: As for those bumps and the lift hill, well, I still blame the budget. I actually find this version of SM fine. :lookaroun I would also say that I am happy that ours isn't an exact clone from any other park. Sure, I would've welcomed (and originally hoped for) a less bumpy track and quieter lift hill, but I am satisfied & still am optimistic for our SM now. :D Oh, and I am curious in where is that aforementioned offboard audio equipment...

Yeah. Noticed that from the TTA on Saturday. The outside is just filthy. Very bad show.
I still have high hopes that the rest would be cleaned. It didn't take too long after I posted a pic of the top section's moldy-lookin' patch. Perhaps someone can post a good close-up pic of the mountain comparing both sections. ;) Now if they can shoo the enormous flock of birds away that been hanging around yesterday. If it means anything, they were ravens... :lookaroun:lol:

Lee

Adventurer

Which ain't sayin' much.:lol:
We can't even get more than one borrowed design, much less:
!BghOLygCGk~$(KGrHqMH-D0EsL-qCgT9BLFpP5vQ6w~~_35.JPG

314617093_tp.jpg

!BcK40IQ!2k~$(KGrHqEH-CMEqu(SITCzBKzTi64)E!~~_35.JPG

1126dlrspace2.jpg

Glasgow

So is Space Mtn open yet? ha .. just kidding.

I'll be checking it out in a couple of months so I'm really curious to see it in all it's pre? .. no .. re? .. no .. un? ... no .. pseudo-habbed glory? I always liked SM before and I'm sure will still enjoy it just as much but the lingering question is .. why? Why spend all of that time and money if you're not going to make any big changes? I suppose that question has been asked over and over.

Oh well, better than nothing .. I guess

SMRT-1

What's more obnoxious is the on-ride picture bulb. One look into the light and you're blinded for the rest of the ride.

Unless it was deliberately & strategically placed so that the ride would appear more dark and intense, WOW is it bright.

:lookaroun

incredibly horrible!! it's not only the fact that it is extremely bright and blinds you completely....its that fact that you don't really know it's coming...possible solution would be to set up some sort of scenario where you know your having your picture taken...some sort of space pilot training.

why couldn't they get it right????????

DonaldDoleWhip

Well, this weekend I got to ride Alpha and Omega, one time each. That was enough. I'm horribly disappointed with the refurb.

-The first part of the queue (with the Starport logo) looks nice, but you're only there for a few seconds so it doesn't matter.
-I hate the addition of the video games. I preferred the darkness and ominous space music that went through the whole queue. The games aren't very interesting, and they completely change the feel of the queue.
-I don't like the enclosed boarding area. I always enjoying looking up and seeing stars, projections, and glowing rockets. I didn't notice any extra darkness while on the ride, so I'm disappointed with this change.
-The ride itself is probably worse than before. I don't like the sound effect at the beginning of the ride, and the on-ride photo detracts from the experience. The flash is really annoying and unexpected, but I was still able to see plenty of track while on the ride. Also, the picture itself looks horrible, and I can't imagine that anyone would want to buy it. With the rest of the ride, the lift hill is still jerky and noisy, the actual ride is still jerky, the finale is still terrible, and the lack of audio is still a tragedy. I actually enjoyed the ride more in February.
-The post show looks cool, but so what? There are some more flatscreen TV's and other cool-looking props, but it doesn't make up for a disappointing ride. Then there's that ugly green wall - green screen or not, that wall is still unpleasant to look at.

I'm glad I got to try Space Mountain again - I won't waste my time with it in the future. I last rode DL's Space Mountain almost 2 years ago, but it's completely jaded my expectations of what a Space Mountain should be. At least they did a good job with MK's Haunted Mansion...

UberMouse

Ha ha! SM just broke down about 10 till mdnight. My wife and I were stopped at the top most hill right where you begin to spiral down. After about 5 minutes the lights came on. It was awesome! Then after about 5 more minutes two castmembers helped us out and we walked down from the top and out on the path. Talk about a real backlot tour. I loved it! If the two CM's are on here, I was the guy in the green shirt with the dinosour on it that said NEVER FORGET.

-Jeff

UberMouse

Oh, and we both got fastpasses good for any ride at any time. We average one of these each trip we make to WDW. usually it is Splash Mountain or ToT though.

UberMouse

One last quick note. The pepper's ghost effects were running in full force inside the star windows. I thought it looked really great, and overall I am satisfied with the referb.

EpcotServo

Which ain't sayin' much.:lol:
We can't even get more than one borrowed design, much less:
%21BghOLygCGk%7E$%28KGrHqMH-D0EsL-qCgT9BLFpP5vQ6w%7E%7E_35.JPG

314617093_tp.jpg

%21BcK40IQ%212k%7E$%28KGrHqEH-CMEqu%28SITCzBKzTi64%29E%21%7E%7E_35.JPG

1126dlrspace2.jpg

Yea, it's the only piece of Space Mountain merch and it's really Disneyland based.

I don't really like the first three shirts, but you'd expect that kinda stuff at least.

(I love wearing that last shirt on the bottom...great design.)

Expo_Seeker40

One last quick note. The pepper's ghost effects were running in full force inside the star windows. I thought it looked really great, and overall I am satisfied with the referb.

The Star Windows in both the zig zag tunnel and star tunnel? Or just the zig zag tunnel because the star windows in the star tunnel have had their pepper's ghost projections turned off for over 10 years now.....but I wonder if that new exit door leads to a hallway behind the windows with a light switch. :lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
I don't really like the first three shirts, but you'd expect that kinda stuff at least.
Hong Kong has a pretty nice shirt, but I couldn't find a photo of it.
Oddly, I bought a SM shirt a couple years ago, long sleeves with the logo on the upper chest and down one arm that was gray with lime green/blue writing and logo.
Kinda ahead of it's time. Wish I could find it......:rolleyes:

UberMouse

The Star Windows in both the zig zag tunnel and star tunnel? Or just the zig zag tunnel because the star windows in the star tunnel have had their pepper's ghost projections turned off for over 10 years now.....but I wonder if that new exit door leads to a hallway behind the windows with a light switch. :lookaroun

The peppers Ghost effects were just past where the game screens are. There were views of planets, a space station and a completely new version of the old view where you see the rocket (coaster) circling around. Everything was really crisp and detailed unlike the old version.

Expo_Seeker40

Ok, good to hear. They put new spotlights on them. However, the windows in the star tunnel.....still with just their galactic background ugh.

UberMouse

I will take pics on my iPhone the next time I go. Probably tomorrow. Yeah, same windows in the star tunnel. I am standing in the accoustics room right now on Test Track. Man I love being back at WDW.

EPCOT Explorer

Finally Rode it twice today!

All good done on this rehab was overshadowed by absolute disappointment that it's the same crummy Mountain. Outside looked worse then awful, queue was alright, Load Dock was cool, On Ride Photo is crazy random, the lift hill looks mostly the same, and the ride, while darker, is silent and completely undramatic. Re entry and the dark waste of time afterwords is still just as laughable as ever. The first ride through we engaged in conversastion like the whole time, it was pretty awkward and quiet...

:lol:

It's smoother, but if you're in the back seat it's JUST as rough and still an awful ride. I heard the front was too. So really cause of the outdated rockets, the ride only feels smoother if you're towards the center.

Haven't seen this reported, but the Earth Projection was replaced with a cool space colony projection, but the lack of Stars and other Projections and the noticeably mechanically noisy ride and lack of audio makes the whole rehab moot.

Still not even in the same league as Disneyland. Yeah, kinda moot. The good doesn't fill in all the empty and sameness of the ride.
So...it's the same ride.:lookaroun:lol:

Sigh.
Yeah. Noticed that from the TTA on Saturday. The outside is just filthy. Very bad show.
Worse than the pictures we got of the mold and rot covering the one side of the TTF view?:rolleyes::brick:

And didn't they pressure clean SOME of it?

Lee

Adventurer
Worse than the pictures we got of the mold and rot covering the one side of the TTF view?:rolleyes::brick:
And didn't they pressure clean SOME of it?
Similar.
I saw no evidence of cleaning on the lower mountain at all. Top looks ok...bottom....not so much.
I didn't have a camera with me, so I have no evidence. I'll rely on the photographic expertise of others.:lol:
Lot of birds on the top, doing their best to ruin the forced perspective.:rolleyes:

I saw no green lighting while I was there.

EPCOT Explorer

Similar.
I saw no evidence of cleaning on the lower mountain at all. Top looks ok...bottom....not so much.
I didn't have a camera with me, so I have no evidence. I'll rely on the photographic expertise of others.:lol:
Lot of birds on the top, doing their best to ruin the forced perspective.:rolleyes:

I saw no green lighting while I was there.

Great. I'll do some poking around in a week. The next edition of "An Explorer's Notes" will be SM Exterior heavy, I think.:lookaroun

I think they only did the top ring, now that you mention it.

Birds...Don't they lay spikes for that?:rolleyes::lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The zig zag peppers ghosts are better than they were, but the star corridor windows are still dark aside from stars. As before. Infact, there are less in the zig zag now then there were a year ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom