SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

hack2112

I'm looking forward to watching new riders discover the Potter attraction for the first time. I'm sure some will say the SM rehab was better than a new $100 plus million state-of-the-art dark ride but everyone is entitled to their opinion.:lol:
Once I found out that HP was going to be open for Grad Bash, I became immensely excited. I can't wait to see the land in it's night time splendor! Plus, I'll be heading up for Pow Wow as well, so I'll get to ride it over and over and over again!

WDW1974

WDI receives hundreds, if not thousands, of resumes every month from hopefuls that have dreams of becoming an Imagineer. Others just apply because they think it would be a cool job. Others are recruited. The bottom line is that you have to stand out from all that competition if you do indeed have what it takes. Of course there is another, easier way to get in but I won't talk too much about that on these boards. Unfortunately I'm not kidding about that last sentence and many undeserving hacks have weaseled their way in using this "unsavory" method. Not so much in the technical fields but especially in creative.

So much I'd like to say ... so much ... and all soooo true, but for once I'll :zipit: because I hate typing only to see posts vanish into the ether.

That really does S-U-C-K!!!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

WDW1974

I'm looking forward to watching new riders discover the Potter attraction for the first time. I'm sure some will say the SM rehab was better than a new $100 plus million state-of-the-art dark ride but everyone is entitled to their opinion.:lol:

Of course they will.

But I am also convinced that for some fanbois, Disney is akin to an OCD type mental illness.

They are so brainwashed by the pixie dust and marketing might of TWDC that you could serve them a cow turd on a plate shaped like Mickey and charge them $40 and they'd find it magical.:xmas::xmas::xmas:

PhantomX

So much I'd like to say ... so much ... and all soooo true, but for once I'll :zipit: because I hate typing only to see posts vanish into the ether.

That really does S-U-C-K!!!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

I could tell a story about how someone got an executive level job at WDW but it would probably get me banned from this website

whylightbulb

Of course they will.

But I am also convinced that for some fanbois, Disney is akin to an OCD type mental illness.

They are so brainwashed by the pixie dust and marketing might of TWDC that you could serve them a cow turd on a plate shaped like Mickey and charge them $40 and they'd find it magical.:xmas::xmas::xmas:
LOL this is so true...and funny!!! I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could even put Disneyland's and WDW's SM in the same category. I personally like Disneyland's track better despite what others are saying here. It's smoother and has that way cool speedy ending before the final effect.

Buried20KLeague

LOL this is so true...and funny!!! I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could even put Disneyland's and WDW's SM in the same category. I personally like Disneyland's track better despite what others are saying here. It's smoother and has that way cool speedy ending before the final effect.

But really, when it comes down to it... What do YOU know about what makes a ride good??? :rolleyes:

:lol::wave:

hpyhnt 1000

New article at the Orlando Sentinel- Space Mountain Rehab Illustrates Differing Approaches Of Disney World/Disneyland

There's a couple of interesting quotes, plus it says that there will eventually be four different queue games.

Yeah, well, when TSMM opened, they said that they had the ability to do seasonal/holiday overlays because the screen technology made it so easy to change. Star Tours was also supposed to be easy to change and update. As we can see, those two ideas really panned out to their full potential. :rolleyes:

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to the "tweaking" thats supposed to occur through mid-December and the possible addition of new games.

"And opted not too install exterior lighting because...Wait, what? Why can't it look nice on the outside again?"

Apparently it can't. I guess there's no return on investment when it comes to lighting upgrades. And SM is hardly the only big white structure at WDW in the same situation. :rolleyes: :brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That`s a great article. Basically TDO managed to stonewall each and every difficult point with a totally stupid, avoiding the question comment. They should be in politics.

They come across in that interview as even more idiotic than before.

WDW1974

I could tell a story about how someone got an executive level job at WDW but it would probably get me banned from this website

Feel free to PM me with whatever you feel comfortable telling. I will not put a word of it out here, but I'd love to know if it's someone that ... well, I know! Hell, I'd like to know what (who:eek:) went down even if you don't want to put the guy's name out.
:xmas:

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Yeah, well, when TSMM opened, they said that they had the ability to do seasonal/holiday overlays because the screen technology made it so easy to change. Star Tours was also supposed to be easy to change and update. As we can see, those two ideas really panned out to their full potential. :rolleyes:

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to the "tweaking" thats supposed to occur through mid-December and the possible addition of new games.

Now, to be fair, we were hearing around when Midway Mania opened that the themed overlays probably wouldn't be for a couple of years. In fact, the two year mark is just a short time before Toy Story 3 comes out... :drevil:

On top of that, I think Midway Mania is the perfect venue to test and gauge the reaction of Guests to a seasonal overlay, and see how that pans out. I can't see it being anything but immensely popular. If it does crazy business for Studios, the others like Haunted Mansion Holiday and Nightmare Nebula stand a better chance of coming along.

As for the Space Mountain games, I have no doubt they're coming, they described them pretty specifically in the article.

hpyhnt 1000

Now, to be fair, we were hearing around when Midway Mania opened that the themed overlays probably wouldn't be for a couple of years. In fact, the two year mark is just a short time before Toy Story 3 comes out... :drevil

On top of that, I think Midway Mania is the perfect venue to test and gauge the reaction of Guests to a seasonal overlay, and see how that pans out. I can't see it being anything but immensely popular.

As for the Space Mountain games, I have no doubt they're coming, they described them pretty specifically in the article.

I hope you're right about TSMM and the SM games. We'll see, though I really have my doubts they'll follow through on that TSMM overlay plan... :(

PhantomX

I love there excuse for why they aren't doing exterior lighting. "We don't want to close Space mountain down for the holidays" huh???

Seems to me that Mr.Wright needs to be given a pink slip

Lee

Adventurer
Seems to me that Mr.Wright needs to be given a pink slip

Nah...it isn't Alex Wright's fault. He did the job the company wanted, and now will give comments to the press that the company will approve of. I get it.
Although....
How cool would it be if an Imagineer actually came out and said something like, "Oh, please! We had HUGE plans for Space Mountain. New track, new trains, audio, lighting...the works! It was the pencil-pushers! They are the ones who cut out all the good stuff! Blame those guys."

Won't happen. Imagineers need to eat, too.

EpcotServo

Nah...it isn't Alex Wright's fault. He did the job the company wanted, and now will give comments to the press that the company will approve of. I get it.
Although....
How cool would it be if an Imagineer actually came out and said something like, "Oh, please! We had HUGE plans for Space Mountain. New track, new trains, audio, lighting...the works! It was the pencil-pushers! They are the ones who cut out all the good stuff! Blame those guys."

Won't happen. Imagineers need to eat, too.

Well, You do...But only when you're not hungry.

:lookaroun :lol:

PhantomX

I just can't see WDW sustaining this business model of doing everything on the cheap indefinetly. At some point customers will leave in droves and WDW will become a DCA situation or worse a GM/Chrysler situation.

EPCOT Explorer

New article at the Orlando Sentinel- Space Mountain Rehab Illustrates Differing Approaches Of Disney World/Disneyland

There's a couple of interesting quotes, plus it says that there will eventually be four different queue games.
:fork: HORRIBLE.
Plans were to build on a classic. Onboard score, linked to many new visuals. The blue tunnel effects I mentioned. Silent lifts. Overhauled lift hill scene. Many new projections throughout the ride, both on the ceiling and on new screens - some new, some cloned. All timed to the ride. Physical props. New end brake zone tunnel. More cohesive story. New cars, new smooth track, same layout.

Is there really any need to add video games to a line that moves quite well? One that in theory now will recover back to 102 far faster? Marketing think so.

There`s always tomorrow.
Well....We think that about a child, too....but....It just takes too long.:(

Why does...

"though workers are expected to continue tweaking until mid-December"

...send chills down my spine?
Adding triangles.

Of course they will.

You know about that!?:lookaroun

"And opted not too install exterior lighting because...Wait, what? Why can't it look nice on the outside again?"
Just noticed that....if they can't fix the inside...can they at LEAST make the facade look awesome at night?

Another refurb, another chance, another disappointment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom