SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

wdwfan94

DSC05693.JPG

Anyone else see the GREEN LIGHTING!!!!!

Rob562

DSC05693.JPG

Anyone else see the GREEN LIGHTING!!!!!

Ehhh... There's a big cloud of lit-up pressure-washing steam (or whatever it is) between the lights and where it's greeen on the mountain. I think it's just the light getting filtered by the cloud of whatever-it-is. (And the cloud itself looks kinda greenish-tinted...) I'd want to see the same view *without* the steam getting in the way.

-Rob

hpyhnt 1000

Is this taken from the Contemporary or new DVC Tower? If so, that is weird that the green lights are on the backside of the mountain.

Perhaps its lighing tests to see what configuration of color works best? :shrug:

A hint of green would be a welcome addition, but I'd still like to have some kinetic color changing going on. No reason why the mountain can't change from white to a green, blue, or purple hue, then back to white again.

Next Big Thing

Perhaps its lighing tests to see what configuration of color works best? :shrug:
I was going to say the same thing. By doing it on the back, parkgoers can't see it and they get to test it out at the same time.

Let's hope that is the case, lighting would be a nice little added touch.

Mansion Butler

As for the changes that weren’t made, Wright said there are some advantages. Adding on-board audio would have meant getting rid of Space Mountain’s original, low-slung rockets

Is this true? If so, I go from slightly against on-board audio (I prefer my Space Mountain silent but think the audio can be kind of enjoyable) to adamantly against (as the closeness to the track is a huge part of why I love the ride).

Tom Morrow

Rode Space Mountain 5 times today... heres my thoughts.

LIKED:
- The new re-designed entrance tunnel looks great. I'm glad they kept the same music, though it was way too quiet in many parts (audio being too quiet seems to be a rampant problem at WDW these days) but, since this is soft opening, hopefully they will fix this. The station audio was a bit quiet, too.
- The games were not on, but the panels look cool.
- Glad they kept the star windows on the Fastpass side.
- Station looks fantastic and modern. The new gates look awesome. I can tell they will probably load two rockets at once in the near future. The floor appeared to be in the process of being "glossed" and darkened. The finished parts look fine and nothing like the dirty concrete some of you were complaining about.
- I'm glad they returned the original "Space Shuttle: This is Flight Safety" spiel and made it loud and clear when you first enter the lift.
- The ride itself is definitely smoother. Seat 6 used to be very jarring. Its still a little bumpy, but completely tolerable.
- The ride is much darker. If I didn't know the layout already, I wouldn't know where I was going for the most part.
- Unload area looks much better, as does the exit ramp.

Criticisms/armchair imagineering:
- I liked the previous launch tunnel audio better.
- IMO, the bright, cheesy projections onto the ceiling should be turned off, like the projection of the spinning galaxy after you first crest the lift hill. It creates a point of reference that breaks the darkness, and doesn't look that good, honestly.
- Its a shame they didn't make the lifts quieter. I don't mind the "clank-clank-clank" from ascending the lifts, but the constant rattle from the lift motors themselves kind of breaks the otherwise updated, somewhat modern new feel of the ride.
- I hope they restore the epic previous exit ramp music, rather than the cheesy loop that is currently playing.
- I feel like an easy alternative to onboard audio would be placing a few amplifiers along parts of the track to play sound effects and noise, because in a way it feels awkwardly quiet, and this would cover up some of the mechanical noises.

All in all a successful refurbishment, considering 1. the budget, and 2. some of us thought they were going to simply replace the track and ride control system and nothing else.

Other thoughts:
- I still think the new TTA narration is absolutely awful, for many, many reasons... however, I find that I still enjoy riding TTA despite this.
- The new lighting on TTA looks great at night.
- Still no "star tunnel" music on TTA through Space Mountain. I really hope this returns.
- Its too bad they didn't make it so TTA could see into the Omega loading bay. When you pass that part, you can't see anything until you get to the windows, and it looks very makeshift and seems pointless.

djkidkaz

Is noone concerned with what looks to be a roaring fire in the background of that photo? Damn you selfish people and your lighting needs!! :fork::ROFLOL:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Rode Space Mountain 5 times today... heres my thoughts.

LIKED:
- The new re-designed entrance tunnel looks great. I'm glad they kept the same music, though it was way too quiet in many parts (audio being too quiet seems to be a rampant problem at WDW these days) but, since this is soft opening, hopefully they will fix this. The station audio was a bit quiet, too.
- The games were not on, but the panels look cool.
- Glad they kept the star windows on the Fastpass side.
- Station looks fantastic and modern. The new gates look awesome. I can tell they will probably load two rockets at once in the near future. The floor appeared to be in the process of being "glossed" and darkened. The finished parts look fine and nothing like the dirty concrete some of you were complaining about.
- I'm glad they returned the original "Space Shuttle: This is Flight Safety" spiel and made it loud and clear when you first enter the lift.
- The ride itself is definitely smoother. Seat 6 used to be very jarring. Its still a little bumpy, but completely tolerable.
- The ride is much darker. If I didn't know the layout already, I wouldn't know where I was going for the most part.
- Unload area looks much better, as does the exit ramp.

Criticisms/armchair imagineering:
- I liked the previous launch tunnel audio better.
- IMO, the bright, cheesy projections onto the ceiling should be turned off, like the projection of the spinning galaxy after you first crest the lift hill. It creates a point of reference that breaks the darkness, and doesn't look that good, honestly.
- Its a shame they didn't make the lifts quieter. I don't mind the "clank-clank-clank" from ascending the lifts, but the constant rattle from the lift motors themselves kind of breaks the otherwise updated, somewhat modern new feel of the ride.
- I hope they restore the epic previous exit music, rather than the cheesy loop that is currently playing.
- I feel like an easy alternative to onboard audio would be placing a few amplifiers along parts of the track to play sound effects and noise, because in a way it feels awkwardly quiet, and this would cover up some of the mechanical noises.

All in all a successful refurbishment, considering 1. the budget, and 2. some of us thought they were going to simply replace the track and ride control system and nothing else.

Other thoughts:
- I still think the new TTA narration is absolutely awful, for many, many reasons... however, I find that I still enjoy riding TTA despite this.
- The new lighting on TTA looks great at night.
- Still no "star tunnel" music on TTA through Space Mountain. I really hope this returns.
- Its a shame they didn't make it so TTA could see into the Omega loading bay. When you pass that part, you can't see anything until you get to the windows, and it looks very makeshift.
I was really hoping for the E:E quiet lift hill myself. Maybe on the next refurb. I think a quiet lift hill gives the opportunity for some many ideas on the lift for audio.

I know that this idea would take an extremely advanced individual lift mechanism (ie: TT), but if each train was lifted independently and started off slow and built up speed towards the top.... yeh, that would be killer. :D

Kuhio

I was really hoping for the E:E quiet lift hill myself. Maybe on the next refurb. I think a quiet lift hill gives the opportunity for some many ideas on the lift for audio.

I know that this idea would take an extremely advanced individual lift mechanism (ie: TT), but if each train was lifted independently and started off slow and built up speed towards the top.... yeh, that would be killer. :D

Silent lift hills are one of the few things that I wish they had done with this refurb. A lift hill that varies the speed at which rockets ascend can definitely be done, although I'm sure it's more sophisticated and expensive than the garden-variety kind.

I believe the lift hills on the f.k.a. Dueling Dragons coasters at IOA are computer controlled to accelerate or decelerate the rate of ascent of the two coasters so as to synchronize their positioning by the time they reach the top of the lift hill.

I would love to eventually see new lift hills on Space Mountain that would (1) slowly but perceptibly increase the rate of ascent of the rockets as they get closer to "launch," and (2) synchronize rockets on the Alpha and Omega lift hills that aren't dispatched at precisely the same time. I think it's a great little perk when you're launching in tandem with a rocket on the lift hill next to you.

MousDad

Thanks for that awesome report, Tom Morrow!

Has anyone heard the Star Tunnel music on the TTA yet? I thought some said they had, but it's hard to remember.

Man that would really, really blow if they took that away for no reason.

kcnole

I was going to say the same thing. By doing it on the back, parkgoers can't see it and they get to test it out at the same time.

Let's hope that is the case, lighting would be a nice little added touch.

If they add a better lighting package to the mountain it would help this refurb go up a notch in my book. Its no LED lighting which can change colors, but I'll take it over basic white.

If they add proper lighting the only other three things I'd really like to see in the future would be silent lift hills, onboard audio, reworked re-entry tunnel. I'd guess that if the ride ever gets a proper sponsor that maybe this could happen.

Is there any validity to the rumor that the track supports were improved so that they could handle the added weight of audio in the future?

imagineer boy

Thanks for that awesome report, Tom Morrow!

Has anyone heard the Star Tunnel music on the TTA yet? I thought some said they had, but it's hard to remember.

Man that would really, really blow if they took that away for no reason.

I agree. However, I'm counting my blessings that its still at least playing in the queue.

Lee

Adventurer
Is this true? If so, I go from slightly against on-board audio (I prefer my Space Mountain silent but think the audio can be kind of enjoyable) to adamantly against (as the closeness to the track is a huge part of why I love the ride).
Not entirely accurate.
It is true that the existing trains will not take the audio without some substantial modifications. It won't work to just add speakers to those trains, and the resulting changes to the trains would likely make them unusable on the existing track.
However, new trains, that incorporate speakers into the seats or body, would do the job. No reason they would have to abandon the bobsled seating.
(Though it wouldn't bother me. I'm not fond of the seating, myself.:shrug:)

kcnole said:
Is there any validity to the rumor that the track supports were improved so that they could handle the added weight of audio in the future?
The supports were enhanced, but whether or not it is part of a future plan for audio is open to speculation.

PhantomX

Not entirely accurate.
It is true that the existing trains will not take the audio without some substantial modifications. It won't work to just add speakers to those trains, and the resulting changes to the trains would likely make them unusable on the existing track.
However, new trains, that incorporate speakers into the seats or body, would do the job. No reason they would have to abandon the bobsled seating.
(Though it wouldn't bother me. I'm not fond of the seating, myself.:shrug:)

The supports were enhanced, but whether or not it is part of a future plan for audio is open to speculation.

I should point out that in the mid 90s they did a crappy refurb of Space Mountain in Disneyland where they added onboard audio to the existing trains and the weight of the added speakers did alot of damage to the structures and caused operational issues. So the only way to get proper onboard audio is to get brand new trains with the speakers built in on a new track.

Although like lee said this doesn't mean that they would have to throw out the bobsled design. The new trains could still be in the same style and seating arrangement so that sounds like BS from disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom