Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not to mention "redoing" 3 hours of work due to power outage. man, hate that for you.

I would imagine US has them too, just not the large following of fans to keep up with them.
That did suck big time. While computers have drastically increased the amount of work we can do in a given time they have also made it to where said work can disappear in the blink of an eye.

Findus

Hi everyone.

A long time lurker first time poster.

I just saw this on the D23 website in the twilight bark section:

06.09.09 — Space Mountain at Walt Disney World Set to Soar November 21!
New track, a new ceiling and audio-visual upgrades will be in store when Space Mountain re-opens on November 21 after a planned refurbishment.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Hi everyone.

Welcome to wdwmagic, well, as a poster.

You might have just gotten a lot of new friends. :lol: That can all be true and still not a complete overhaul. It can have "new" track if one section is replaced so on and so forth. It is tricky how wording is coming out about it. You have to read between the lines.

Jason_Garcia

Re: The $12.3 million

Hi,

I'm the reporter with the Orlando Sentinel covering Disney and I thought I may be able to add (a little) clarity about the $12.3 million. The figure is not based on any single permit; rather, it comes from a brief summary of the Space Mountain renovations put together by Reedy Creek's Building & Safety department for the district's Board of Supervisors.

As far as individual permit values go, the main permit for the project (for "improvements to facility, ride controls, fire alarm and guest flow") has a project value of about $8.6 million. I'm told there are another eight or so smaller permits that have been filed so far for the Space Mountain work, pushing the cumulative value to about $10.8 million, but I have not yet reviewed those permits myself.

I'm not sure where the remaining $1.5 million in Reedy Creek's total comes from -- my guess is that the difference will eventually show up in future permits, but that's just a guess. It's also possible that the overall $12.3 million figure could rise if more work is added down the road, although no one has told me one way or the other whether that's likely to happen.

As for what the amount represents, the permit figures are supposed to reflect all construction costs, including labor and materials. They typically do not reflect money spent on research or design, or on land.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Jason Garcia
jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com

EPCOT Explorer

Hi everyone.

Very interesting. Audio Visual suggest that audio will be outside the car, but linked to what part of the ride you are on.

Maybe I'm too optimistic...But that sounds like something new.
Hi,

I'm the reporter with the Orlando Sentinel covering Disney and I thought I may be able to add (a little) clarity about the $12.3 million. The figure is not based on any single permit; rather, it comes from a brief summary of the Space Mountain renovations put together by Reedy Creek's Building & Safety department for the district's Board of Supervisors.

As far as individual permit values go, the main permit for the project (for "improvements to facility, ride controls, fire alarm and guest flow") has a project value of about $8.6 million. I'm told there are another eight or so smaller permits that have been filed so far for the Space Mountain work, pushing the cumulative value to about $10.8 million, but I have not yet reviewed those permits myself.

I'm not sure where the remaining $1.5 million in Reedy Creek's total comes from -- my guess is that the difference will eventually show up in future permits, but that's just a guess. It's also possible that the overall $12.3 million figure could rise if more work is added down the road, although no one has told me one way or the other whether that's likely to happen.

As for what the amount represents, the permit figures are supposed to reflect all construction costs, including labor and materials. They typically do not reflect money spent on research or design, or on land.

Jason Garcia
Very interesting. Thanks Jason.

Buried20KLeague

Hi,

Jason Garcia

Eek. :eek:

While I appreciate the info... This does nothing to calm my fears that this thing is going to be underwhelming. :(

Thanks for posting, Jason.

hardcard

Original Poster
oh well, went by SM last night... nothing new to see really...... but I did manage to get caught by a train :)

3614356664_5cd846823e_b.jpg

3614356856_01b536667e_b.jpg

3614357000_441db03f52_b.jpg

darn, I hate it when I catch a train :)

hardcard

Original Poster
it was on its way back up.. they are manually de-activated when the train rolls in from MK.. It doesn't go straight into the roundhouse.. That way they can clean it down before being put to bed..

kcnole

audio visual upgrades could also just reference things like the lift hill which have been there for years. There's an audio sound that plays as you climb that lift hill, maybe its getting a new effect and sound. I'm hoping it means much more than a few things like that but my hopes are not up until I hear something more concrete.

hardcard

Original Poster
could be...... doesn't HAVE to have anything to do with the trains at all..

Personally, I think I miss TTA more than SM right now... MK was packed yesterday, generally I get on TTA in those situations to 'survey the park' to decide what to do next..... yeah, can't do that right now..

Meanwhile, saw someone 'find out' SM was closed until November... They were, um.... ed :) and let the CM know it :)

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah... I love that sandwich. :(

:lookaroun:lol:
:rolleyes::lol:
could be...... doesn't HAVE to have anything to do with the trains at all..

Personally, I think I miss TTA more than SM right now... MK was packed yesterday, generally I get on TTA in those situations to 'survey the park' to decide what to do next..... yeah, can't do that right now..

Meanwhile, saw someone 'find out' SM was closed until November... They were, um.... ed :) and let the CM know it :)

Nice pics of the train, HardCard!:D

Yeah, I'm going to miss TTA too...Hoping for SO's though...:lookaroun

The Conundrum

Hi everyone.

It is a sad day when Disney hypes up a "new ceiling" and "new track" as something to get excited about to lure ppl back to WDW.

If they wanted to hype it they should have either created a brand new long track or two different tracks (1 wild 1 mild) in the ride like they were originally PLANNING to do or add something more significant.

I will not get excited over "new track/new ceilieng" "a/v upgrades" that should be standard every few years like it was before the late 90s.

WDWGoof07

It is a sad day when Disney hypes up a "new ceiling" and "new track" as something to get excited about to lure ppl back to WDW.

If they wanted to hype it they should have either created a brand new long track or two different tracks (1 wild 1 mild) in the ride like they were originally PLANNING to do or add something more significant.

I will not get excited over "new track/new ceilieng" "a/v upgrades" that should be standard every few years like it was before the late 90s.
What you are referring to was posted to the D23 website, which is meant for fans who actually care about such things. Disney hasn't been hyping this to the general public as if it were supposed to be a major draw for the resort. This is only a refurbishment, and Disney is treating it as such.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Blue sky only; the refurb has always been to replace the current layout with a carbon copy. The original plans were far more exciting and worthy of what the attraction needs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom