Space Mountain 2.0 rumor update

Xadllas

Somehow, Disney doesn't have problems keeping people moving on every other ride that doesn't have moving walkways, so I think they'd be okay without them, but that aside, changes will occur, they will be occurring soon, and with Jay Rasulo at the helm, you can bet they will be similar to the other four mountains. Ours will be the last mountain to change, so you can bet there will be almost nothing not found in one of the other four mountains (regardless of whether Jay leaves soon, he will more than likely be here when the budget and details are approved).

Anyone who doesn't like DL's new Space Mountain is in a VERY small minority that I doubt Disney cares about. It has been very good for Disneyland's numbers and most people love it and that will be enough for anyone at Disney. Frankly, I think the only decisions that remain are whether or not to update the existing tracks or build something brand new. New trains with audio will happen. New special effects will come. And, we can expect some theming changes (and since even in the current climate at WDW, they were willing to put up that cool new lighting on the Tower of Terror, I would bet we will see lighting used extensively in the new queue area). If they could do something similar to the boiler room in DCA's Tower of Terror, it wouldn't bleed too much into the dome above. Arguing over whether or not these changes will occur is asinine. It has happened/is happening (in the case of Tokyo) to the other four Mountains, so why would anyone think WDW of all places would be immune to change? Have you not walked around Tomorrowland or Future World over the last 10 years?
Well I guess everything has to be the same doesn't it?

ToTBellHop

Well I guess everything has to be the same doesn't it?
With Jay Rasulo in control, yes. Let's not forget that a clone of DCA's Tower of Terror is nearing completion in Paris, two copies of Toy Story Mania are being built, Hong Kong's Space Mountain is nearly identical to Disneyland's, our Haunted Mansion will be getting new effects that Disneyland has. Our Pirates has a similar rehab to Disneyland's, our Jungle Cruise will likely get the effects Disneyland's received, we just had the Happiest Celebration on Earth, founded (for WDW) on the concept of taking attractions from other parks and bringing them to WDW. There is certainly a striking trend since Jay rose to the top in 2002.

Oh yes...what does our "it's a small world" now resemble?

donald23

From an ROI perspective... it may make more sense to the decision makers to go with a general refurb with new vehicles... but no change in the current layout other than repair & replace.

The Magic Kingdom has not lost ground in the last decade for park attendance and Space Mountain still garners some of the highest attendance in the park, along with fellow headliners - BTMR and Splash. As long as Space Mountain remains operational... it is very probable that the queues it commands will not diminish much. So spending $20+ million on a complete demolition of the system, redesign and construction may not be that appetising to park management. But spending $5 million or less for rehabbing it to like-new conditions and adding a few plusses could be the way they go.

I know this will not be a popular response and it isn't to me. But from a number crunching standpoint - this gets the best ROI.

I agree, although, like you said, not many people will like this idea. I, personally, feel that space mountain is a thrill ride and havn't seen anybody(of any age) ride it and say it was "boring." A major refurbishment is all SM needs to be up to par with the newer thrills without having to demolish the whole ride system completely. Also, I love the linear seating arrangement and I hope that never leaves, it's so unique and makes SM what it is.

RSoxNo1

Does the DL version of Space Mountain have inversions? How much did they change that track and how long did the rehab take?

majortom1981

hmm

I honestly think Space Mountain is a great ride .This is acoming from a coaster enthusiast who rides Kingda KA once a month .

In my honest opinion Space mountaint just needs an update. The track and layout are just fine.

It only needs effects updates and maybe new trains. New trains if done right and track repalcement can make a HUGE difference in a coaster.

I guess I am the only one who feels this way.

PS The update will NOT ADD INVERSIONS. I do not think they will fit in that building.

Lee

Adventurer
PS The update will NOT ADD INVERSIONS. I do not think they will fit in that building.

True...it won't have inversions.
Inversions will fit, however. Problem is there is not enough room to get up to speed for a loop without adding a launch...which they won't do.

csm

Inversions will fit, however. Problem is there is not enough room to get up to speed for a loop without adding a launch...which they won't do.

That's totally incorrect. There are existing coasters (many of which are compact traveling coasters) that are shorter in height than Space Mountain, and have a loop. The footprint of the building is considerably larger than any said rides as well. Problem is, they are awful rides.

The actual situation is that of limiting ridablity. You'd be surprised how sharply ridership probablity drops when any kind of inversion is thrown into the mix. Not due to height restraints or anything of the sort - solely a psychological "I'm not going on that thing" issue.

Lee

Adventurer
That's totally incorrect. There are existing coasters (many of which are compact traveling coasters) that are shorter in height than Space Mountain, and have a loop. The footprint of the building is considerably larger than any said rides as well. Problem is, they are awful rides.

Welllllll....kinda.
True, there are small traveling coasters with loops...no doubt. However, due to the limitations of the Space Mountain structure (queue, TTA, etc.), it would be very difficult (yes, not impossible) to put in a decent layout that would include a loop of any decent size. It would require cramming it in there in such a way that the ride would likely be more violent than it is now.

Just as an example. RnRC's rollover loop is about 80 feet. To get through an 80 foot loop would require a drop of at least
90-95 feet. The structure of the Mountain will not allow an 95 foot hill followed by an 80 foot loop.

Shaman

Booo!

Whatever happens, I hope they get the larger of the budgets...:lol:

one day I hope they add the launch

Xadllas

With Jay Rasulo in control, yes. Let's not forget that a clone of DCA's Tower of Terror is nearing completion in Paris, two copies of Toy Story Mania are being built, Hong Kong's Space Mountain is nearly identical to Disneyland's, our Haunted Mansion will be getting new effects that Disneyland has. Our Pirates has a similar rehab to Disneyland's, our Jungle Cruise will likely get the effects Disneyland's received, we just had the Happiest Celebration on Earth, founded (for WDW) on the concept of taking attractions from other parks and bringing them to WDW. There is certainly a striking trend since Jay rose to the top in 2002.

Oh yes...what does our "it's a small world" now resemble?
Wasn't the Happiest Celebration for Disneyland's 50th? And our It's a Small World is quite different from DLR's FYI. The only one identical to ours is TDL's. But really if you don't like the WDW versions of the attractions then stick with the other resorts. And HKDL's SM is not nearly Identical, their station is not in a space station, their begining is completely different, their vehclies are purple and smaller, the mountain has neon lights on the spires above, and most of the queue is outdoors. You know do some research before you post.

Vernonpush

The other scenes in the exit need to be changed though to de-fed-ex it.
But, I love the robot looking through his hands :
[ oo ]

I think that they could so much more with the "Pepper's ghost" windows in the queue with all the video they can do now. Think about the first stop up in ToT.

Lee

Adventurer
And HKDL's SM is not nearly Identical, their station is not in a space station, their begining is completely different, their vehclies are purple and smaller, the mountain has neon lights on the spires above, and most of the queue is outdoors. You know do some research before you post.

Yes it is.
Aside from some themeing changes, they are just alike. The track layout is (with very minor changes) identical.
Also...don't get an attitude. It's not becoming in 15 year olds.

ToTBellHop

Wasn't the Happiest Celebration for Disneyland's 50th? And our It's a Small World is quite different from DLR's FYI. The only one identical to ours is TDL's. But really if you don't like the WDW versions of the attractions then stick with the other resorts. And HKDL's SM is not nearly Identical, their station is not in a space station, their begining is completely different, their vehclies are purple and smaller, the mountain has neon lights on the spires above, and most of the queue is outdoors. You know do some research before you post.
I'm sure I'm quite capable of doing research, and I'm sure I'm quite right.

Are you seriously arguing with me over the fact that Disney is globalizing the parks?

Was the HCOE for DL's 50th? Obviously, but it was made a "global" celebration where Paris got a sheepish version of Wishes (don't get me started on the fact that three of Disney's resorts have some rehash of Wishes), Tokyo didn't buy into the celebration and felt it was contrived, so I think all they did was say Raging Spirits was new for the celebration, and WDW put together a crappy celebration with new rides they probably would have built anyway. Only DL had a particularly good (and successful) celebration, and Disneyland today shines because of it.

I have been on both "it's a small world"s in FL and CA and I was alluding to the fact that the FL entrance has been made to look like DL's.

Don't lecture me on doing research.

DarkMeasures

Welllllll....kinda.
True, there are small traveling coasters with loops...no doubt. However, due to the limitations of the Space Mountain structure (queue, TTA, etc.), it would be very difficult (yes, not impossible) to put in a decent layout that would include a loop of any decent size. It would require cramming it in there in such a way that the ride would likely be more violent than it is now.

Just as an example. RnRC's rollover loop is about 80 feet. To get through an 80 foot loop would require a drop of at least
90-95 feet. The structure of the Mountain will not allow an 95 foot hill followed by an 80 foot loop.

Demon at Six Flags Great America is 85 feet tall and has 4 inversions.
Batman: The Ride is only 100 feet tall and has quite a few inversions.

Lee

Adventurer
Demon at Six Flags Great America is 85 feet tall and has 4 inversions.

Yeah...with a 90ft drop to get through a 70ft loop.
And...neither are crammed into a round, cone shaped building with a TTA track and queue in the middle.

Also...just to clarify...when I say "inversion" in these posts I'm referring to loops. The could, of course, drop a corkscrew or zero-g roll in there with no problem. In fact...I wouldn't mind a Mystery Mine style deal at all.....

Damien666

Let's see, for me all I want for WDW SM to get is new track sections to smooth it out and add new effects.

I heard the new rockets will have audio so I don't have to wish for that, all I wish is for new effects but same layout on both sides. If Disney can do that, then it will be better then DL's. (While the upgraded SM for DL is good, it's not the best since HKDL version blew it out of the water.)

Just to let everyone know, while yes it is possible for Sm building to hold a inversion, it's not going to be put in!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom