Space Mountain 2.0 rumor update

The Mak

They can do whatever they want to Space Mountain, I just hope they keep the music used in the attraction (queue/ride).

I have the same attitude about any refurb, keep the same mood in the queue. Improve the starfields and the props in the starfield scenes, keep the classic queue music. If they must do away with the music, make an original piece that will retain the same mood in the queue tunnel.

ToTBellHop

I don't really want huge THEME changes, just a 21st century ride: Here is what I'd like:

(1) queue music stays the same to start but the queue's appearance changes. Make it look more like we are passing through the corridors of a space station like at Disneyland. As we progress further, the lighting will get colder and colder and a soft version of the ride's new theme song becomes increasingly audible.
(2) The main loading area would still have an open ceiling but we would update the lighting to 21st century quality with no normal lights and a slightly creepy blue-light look giving everything a glow. No return for Crazy Larry, we are going for a more serious tone than that. Gone would be flying cookies and stars to be replaced with much more effective fiber optic stars that will now be the only thing above guests in the queue (and the only major source of light inside the ride building--no more stars poorly projected onto the ride structure making it too bright). Place one-way glass on top of the queue area to make the guests feel as though they are still inside a space station with a view of the stars (this also prevents light pollution into the ride area the other way).
(3) ride starts as usual, but now with on-board audio telling guests to prepare for launch as the trains pass through the first tunnels toward the large lift-hill, now given the really cool look of Disneyland's main lift hill, themed as a launch tube that rotates around the guests. Guests are given a countdown as they move slowly up this tunnel (now silently like Everest--no more clicketty-clankety) as the music builds to a crescendo, the entire rotating tunnel around us turns red with flames as we launch from about 0 to 30 mph quickly to the top, over a little bunny hop at the top where we would get strong airtime as we enter the zero-G of space. Note that this new section of the ride will necessitate that trains from both tracks now leave at the same moment, allowing the added excitement now of launching with another rocket of guests. The train would immediately enter a break-run at the top (otherwise the ride would be going too fast for the current track) before continuing.
(4) Added special effects along the ride course would, of course, borrow from all of our friend Space Mountains. I love the supernova effect at Space Mountain Mission 2 in Paris and the finale at Disneyland's ride is a really cool effect where you feel for a second like you are going backwards.
(5) For the Exit, follow Disneyland's lead. Take out the tacky displays, the tacky cameras, and the tacky moving walkways. Those aren't the way of the future and they break too much, I'm sorry friends. America is over-weight. Stairs are the way of the future. Retheme with metal grate stairs to make guests feel like they are still in a futuristic space station (read: effective lighting), with the exit themed as more corridors on the space station. Exit into a rethemed Starcade with gift shop and on-ride photo.
(6) I like the new lighting show on Disneyland's Mountain at night. Get it. Play the new ride's theme song in the plaza outside of the ride's entrance.

askmike1

I agree with everything ISTCNavigator57 said except for number 5. Stairs are the way of the future? I don't think so. People love the "let's see myself" thing. I do think they need to update that though to make it look like it isn't just TVs and cameras. Perhaps hide the cameras better and project the videos on the wall so it looks like one continuous image. The other scenes in the exit need to be changed though to de-fed-ex it.

stalkingmickey

I also rode sm at DL in CA. I liked the smoother ride. i think with the advancements in special effects DW could do a ceiling that looks so real like you really were on a ride in outer space. smooth out the ride, but keep the track the same and you could have a happy medium.:veryconfu

Pete C

Original Poster
type "Rockin Space Mountain" in on YouTube. If you want something even crappier, I dare you to type in Rockin California Screamin...

What's so bad about it? It just the same ride with RHCP music, which isn't such a bad thing...maybe a bit slow at times for a coaster, but certainly not horrible. The end of Rockin Cali Screamin with that bass riff is dope. I think music on rides adds an element of fun. However, making this an all-day change for any period of time is stupid. It should be like a nightfall changeover each night...that would make more sense.

raven

I don't really want huge THEME changes, just a 21st century ride: Here is what I'd like:

(1) queue music stays the same to start but the queue's appearance changes. Make it look more like we are passing through the corridors of a space station like at Disneyland.

Personally I hated the DL "hallway-type" of queue. It didn't feel much like space at all but like they were trying to hide other parts of the building. To me at was very blan for Disney. But I love the lighting on the outside of the SM building at DL much better.

the-reason14

In all honesty, Ill be the one vote against this. I am not for them putting speakers in there, we already have a rrnrc with that noise blazing through, SM shouldnt have to suffer the same thing. I know that the speakers are suppose to be a plus or whatever and make the thing more "cool" I guess, but from experiences with RRnr, it just doesnt cut it for me.

I am more for them just smoothing it out, and putting in new effects, other than that, keep WDW first coaster as something you can take your kids on someday and know that its the same enjoyable family friendly thing. I say if you want WDW to have a more thrilling coaster, go to Everest, or RRnr, or wait for them to build something else. Other than that, leave SM at MK(family friendly park) family friendly and original.

Im out.

ToTBellHop

My only problem with the DL queue was that the music was too subtle--I prefer the music in WDW's version. Their hallways are confined and for practical purposes, that wouldn't happen at WDW--they will just use the same walkways. I think the DL loading area puts ours to shame. The current queue is way too 1970s to me, as are the cameras in the exit hallway. Those aren't futuristic. Guests "love" them in the same way that they love a cheap carnival coming to town, but I think it dilutes the experience. Whereas the current Space Mountain is perhaps quaint and campy, I want the new version to be epic and exciting. Tomorrowland's theme has been diluted so much recently that it really needs a strong, extremely immersive centerpiece attraction (I'm not denying that Space Mountain is still the centerpiece of Tomorrowland, but it doesn't root the land's theme very well).

mcfly530

It may need help but...

It maybe old, it might be "boring" comparatively to newer rides, but its classic. I know that an argument made against nearly 90% of ride update rumors, but Space Mountain still manages to pack thrills into a relatively tame experience. Its a great beginner ride for people who are too nervous about jumping onto Rock and Roller Coaster or Everest.

Minor improvements to the track and perhaps the sound system could enhance the ride overall.

-Callan

ToTBellHop

The problem is that it's not meant to be a beginner ride, and Disney does not market it as such. It's only in recent years that it has become a "warm-up" for the real coasters. A ride being "classic" is no excuse for letting it stagnate. When does a ride stop being "classic" and start being "outdated"? Walt never intended for the parks to stagnate.

Really, however, it is useless at this point to discuss whether or not an update should happen. An update will happen and it will involve some retheming. It is more interesting to discuss what should be changed. The fact that all of the new Space Mountain versions are incredibly popular ought to convince some people that this can and will be a good thing. Disneylanders are generally more hardcore than WDW fans (there's just so much more history making them so much more skeptical of changes), so if they approve of the new Space Mountain there, it must be good. I thought it was tons of fun.

The Mak

Just remember your frame of reference.

Most frightening coaster circa 1970's:

130274571_4356ed88d1_m.jpg

Most frightening coaster circa 2000's:

kingda.jpg

Xadllas

The problem is that it's not meant to be a beginner ride, and Disney does not market it as such. It's only in recent years that it has become a "warm-up" for the real coasters. A ride being "classic" is no excuse for letting it stagnate. When does a ride stop being "classic" and start being "outdated"? Walt never intended for the parks to stagnate.

Really, however, it is useless at this point to discuss whether or not an update should happen. An update will happen and it will involve some retheming. It is more interesting to discuss what should be changed. The fact that all of the new Space Mountain versions are incredibly popular ought to convince some people that this can and will be a good thing. Disneylanders are generally more hardcore than WDW fans (there's just so much more history making them so much more skeptical of changes), so if they approve of the new Space Mountain there, it must be good. I thought it was tons of fun.
It isn't what I'd call a good thing its just an excuse for more thrills. And No not everything Disneyland Fans say is right for WDW. I have ridden their new SM and I hated the queue and thought the ride was Isolated and creepy compared to ours. Disneyland fans are mostly complaining because people coming to WDW are enjoying our's and have almost no idea about their updated version. There are quite a few WDW fans that are as hardcore as DLR's fans. I have never heard a bad comment about our SM when walking out except a few rough issues but thats it. And the main and probably only reason their's got that refurb was because it wasn't up to standards with saftey during earthquakes and what not. Space Mountain is a classic and always will be to me, just as Hm, POTC, SSE, The Great Movie Ride, and etc. Stairs are the way of the future... ever thought that the speed ramp is there to possibly keep people moving? The music is fine I actually love it and have it on my computer aswell. I think the track should be smoother but and maybe a few touch ups and effects are fine buts thats all I want.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Keep the open queue area; the sense of awe for first timers as they exit the zigzag and see the size of the interior space is great. Revert back to the original lighting scheme; downlights on load for safety, an updated back wall launch display (LST don`t radiate much ambiant light) and hardly any queue lighting in the exposed section. And get rid of the TV screens. DLPs interior queue corridor blocked off the viewing windows for M:2 and it really is a waste.

Wouldn`t a fibre optic starfield look too false? Better use an updated projection system - with video projection of model or CGI asteroids, spacecraft etc. and give it a window frame; much like Journeys in Space was to have. The roof support beams were built on the outside specifically for projections on the inside. It`d be a waste not to keep using the smooth interior celing as a screen. Not to mention it`d be maintainence free. Imagine the size of ladder to fix the fibre optics!

Did I mention ladder? :D

Pete C

Original Poster
I have not been fortunate enough yet to ride Space Mountain at Disneyland, but our version will never feel isolated no matter what because our building is so much bigger. There should be no worries there.

What I want to see is complete track replacement. If they keep the same layout I am fine with that, but I want new smooth track. Audio I can take it or leave it. I love that our version has unexpected drops and I want to keep that. As I have said in the past if they keep the 2-sided operation I think one side should keep the existing layout exactly, and the other side just a slightly more exciting variant with perhaps a small launch up the lift hill to kick things off and steeper drops. Why have both sides be almost exactly the same experience? I don't see why this would not be an option for WDW, and it keeps everyone happy. Does anyone see a flaw with this logic? Seems to be working for Mission Space.

As for the queue, I think it should be sealed unless they can figure out a way to not leak light into the ride space. While it is neat seeing the open space in there with the rockets flying around, keeping everything hidden also has its own anxiety benefits. People have no idea what is coming then. Regardless, they have to do something to keep the light out. I want the ride space to be pitch black...as in you can't see your hand in front of your face, but with stars everywhere.

Shaman

MK's Space Mountain needs a cool launch...and loops (or other ride feature to make it stand out) and special effects. Until then...it will just be...ordinary and boring. They need to scrap what's there now and start fresh. Two tracks would be great...one intense (launch, loops, corkscrews) and one not so intense (maybe keep one of the tracks)...to make everybody happy.

It would also be nice if they rethemed the exterior of the building...it looks as futuristic as the Contemporary...and doesn't speak Tomorrowland to me...more like Yesterdayland. :lookaroun :shrug:

Just my opinion.

ToTBellHop

Somehow, Disney doesn't have problems keeping people moving on every other ride that doesn't have moving walkways, so I think they'd be okay without them, but that aside, changes will occur, they will be occurring soon, and with Jay Rasulo at the helm, you can bet they will be similar to the other four mountains. Ours will be the last mountain to change, so you can bet there will be almost nothing not found in one of the other four mountains (regardless of whether Jay leaves soon, he will more than likely be here when the budget and details are approved).

Anyone who doesn't like DL's new Space Mountain is in a VERY small minority that I doubt Disney cares about. It has been very good for Disneyland's numbers and most people love it and that will be enough for anyone at Disney. Frankly, I think the only decisions that remain are whether or not to update the existing tracks or build something brand new. New trains with audio will happen. New special effects will come. And, we can expect some theming changes (and since even in the current climate at WDW, they were willing to put up that cool new lighting on the Tower of Terror, I would bet we will see lighting used extensively in the new queue area). If they could do something similar to the boiler room in DCA's Tower of Terror, it wouldn't bleed too much into the dome above. Arguing over whether or not these changes will occur is asinine. It has happened/is happening (in the case of Tokyo) to the other four Mountains, so why would anyone think WDW of all places would be immune to change? Have you not walked around Tomorrowland or Future World over the last 10 years?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom