Space Mountain 2.0 rumor update

basas

Pretty much.
Far as I know the schedules aren't set in stone, but JC should be next, followed by SM....subject to change as always.

And can they please do Peter Pan or Splash right after Space?!

What about that new MK e-ticket though...is it still happening? Or are they going to redo Space and market that as the 'new e-ticket' (like Disneyland's 50th)?

ToTBellHop

With the schedules as dynamic as they are, that would be hard to say. Let's say it's an ideal world and the HM refurbishment goes well and is done by early September, then JC could close by mid-September and be open in time for Christmas, though probably not Thanksgiving. Then Space Mountain could close for 2008...extremely idealized situation though. With these lengthy refurbishments that are long-overdue, however, they can often run into unexpected problems (Disneyland did).

ears2you

Keep the layout - though improve the track quality. A super smooth ride. Go for an all out effects-laden experience. THAT`ll being the original SM back upto scratch. There is nothing that would be gained with a new layout would make it king again; the world is full of indoor coasters now. Inversions, launches, speed, G Force - all have been done by Disney and others. They are nothing new, not to mention it`ll limit the age limit. Make it as accessible as today, but with the combined effects R&D from Paris 1&2, DLC, Tokyo (can't wait!) - take the effects to a dark ride level of intensity. PotC, HM, Horizons, WoM, JII, CTX - that level of effects detail.

i fully agree with whoever this is!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What? You don't know who Martin is? (*gasp*) ;)

I'd love to see the same track layout as before. It's timeless. Just... keep the queue as-is.... please? Each time a ride like this gets re-done (SM's in all the other parks), it seems logical that it would incorporate the best elements of all the other rides, so getting a new track plus an upgraded sound system would, to me, seem like the starting point. Everything after that should be better than the last 'revision', so to speak.

So, the Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise refurbs are slated for 2007, and then Space Mountain in 2008, am I reading all this correctly?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Seems like things have gotten fun in my 4 day absence :)

Hopefully, once thingy is sorted out, and whatsitsname is rehabbed, the other one can go down for you-know-what and then finally SM will be restored to it`s former glory.

Unless you-know-what and SM have swapped? Lee?

There again, whatsitsname was meant to be down right now after it queue jumped, so maybe things arn't running to plan again.

ToTBellHop

would the Jungle Cruise swap with Space Mountain? I was under the impression that Space's would be much more extensive and time consuming...could JC wait another year? I know the Haunted Mansion can't.

Lee

Adventurer
would the Jungle Cruise swap with Space Mountain? I was under the impression that Space's would be much more extensive and time consuming...could JC wait another year? I know the Haunted Mansion can't.

Unlikely...for exactly the reasons you stated.
Mansion ain't waiting on anything.

ThumperDude

Ok, please think before you laugh at this post.

Are the two tracks intirely separate? I'd always thought each track took up one side of the building. Reason I'm asking, would/could it be possible to wall-off one side/track for rehab while keeping the other side/track open? At least while the track itself is being worked on. Not the lighting and special effect in the building on the whole.

Ok, now you can roll your eyes.

Coasterbp

Ok, please think before you laugh at this post.

Are the two tracks intirely separate? I'd always thought each track took up one side of the building. Reason I'm asking, would/could it be possible to wall-off one side/track for rehab while keeping the other side/track open? At least while the track itself is being worked on. Not the lighting and special effect in the building on the whole.

Ok, now you can roll your eyes.

No need for eye rolling. That's a fair question.

But no, they wouldn't be able too. While they are indeed separate tracks, they do crossover onto the other side of the building from one another... Walling off one side wouldn't do much good.

ears2you

Keep the layout - though improve the track quality. A super smooth ride. Go for an all out effects-laden experience. THAT`ll being the original SM back upto scratch. There is nothing that would be gained with a new layout would make it king again; the world is full of indoor coasters now. Inversions, launches, speed, G Force - all have been done by Disney and others. They are nothing new, not to mention it`ll limit the age limit. Make it as accessible as today, but with the combined effects R&D from Paris 1&2, DLC, Tokyo (can't wait!) - take the effects to a dark ride level of intensity. PotC, HM, Horizons, WoM, JII, CTX - that level of effects detail.

and i totaly agree
:p

Chux

At DL they call it the Reentry Tunnel, its a much longer piece of track now and the effects are amazing.

Just got back from DL on Wednesday and wanted to say that the reentry tunnel is NUTS! It makes you feel like you're going backwards. I LOVE IT.

wesTcoastY

I have been on the Disneyland version of Sapce Mountain and it seems the "major" overhaul kept the same track layout. I am incorrect in this?

RSoxNo1

It may even be in this thread where I asked the same question, but the new DL track is very similar to the old one.

1FoolishMortal

It isn't what I'd call a good thing its just an excuse for more thrills. And No not everything Disneyland Fans say is right for WDW. I have ridden their new SM and I hated the queue and thought the ride was Isolated and creepy compared to ours. Disneyland fans are mostly complaining because people coming to WDW are enjoying our's and have almost no idea about their updated version. There are quite a few WDW fans that are as hardcore as DLR's fans. I have never heard a bad comment about our SM when walking out except a few rough issues but thats it. And the main and probably only reason their's got that refurb was because it wasn't up to standards with saftey during earthquakes and what not. Space Mountain is a classic and always will be to me, just as Hm, POTC, SSE, The Great Movie Ride, and etc. Stairs are the way of the future... ever thought that the speed ramp is there to possibly keep people moving? The music is fine I actually love it and have it on my computer aswell. I think the track should be smoother but and maybe a few touch ups and effects are fine buts thats all I want.

Excuse me? Disneyland fans aren't as shallow-minded as you make them out to be, thank you very much. :wave:

We aren't complaining because of the reason you say we are. I've been on WDW's Space, DL's pre-2005 Space, and DL's post-2005 Space. I can honestly say that there is a HUGE difference between the 3 versions, the biggest gap being between DL's new version and WDW's.

I don't care about people going to WDW who haven't been to DL. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that WDW's Space is much rougher than the Matterhorn, and the Matterhorn is a good decade+ older. That should say something about the condition of the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom