News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

Indy_UK

I thought that may be the case.

I imagine that the existing building that's joined to mission space will house checkin and stairs/lift to a first floor

tparris

You know, I had a thought. That curvy tunnel they're building to the restaurant... I suspect it will be at least enclosed, if not buried, yes? All of this puts a nice "TT rumble buffer" between the restaurant, but... How cheap and easy a fix is this, for the tunnel - install screens that show ships leaving a dock, timed with the cars on the track. Half the F/X are free and the solution in general is also cheap. Problem solved.
The curved wall will be screens, as seen in the concept art.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
How cheap and easy a fix is this, for the tunnel - install screens that show ships leaving a dock, timed with the cars on the track. Half the F/X are free and the solution in general is also cheap. Problem solved.

So every 10 seconds or so? :oops: That’s a lot of annoying spaceship departures.

[WAITER:] “Good afternoon and welcome to Station 82, my name’s- (WHOOSH) My name’s Bob. So first things first, there are some things you should kn- (WHOOSH) things you should know while dining in orbit. Our space specials tod- (WHOOSH) specials today are the Mars Chicken, the Andromeda Fish Fillet, and the ou- (WHOOSH) the Outer Planet Gumbo. Our super space chef satellite dish of the day is the slo- (WHOOSH) is the slow cooked Star Steak, with a side of our out of thi- (WHOOSH) out of this world mashed potatoes and gravy, alongside a moon cra-(WHOOSH) crater of celestial squash. So, any questions so far?”

(WHOOSH)

[GUEST:] Sorry, I was looking at the screen - could you go over that again?”

(WHOOSH)

[WAITER:] Lord give me strength...

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So every 10 seconds or so? :oops: That’s a lot of annoying spaceship departures.

Take a look at the airport flight operations for ATL for example, with all 5 runways in operation that's not unusual. One would assume that the potential number of destinations from a spaceport would be larger.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well.. there was also an artist's concept...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ed-restaurant-lands-in-future-world-at-epcot/

And things our insiders say mostly get catalogued...

New Space Restaurant (restaurant in Earth orbit) between Space and Test Track pavilions [map] [will be attached to Space building, but separate entrance]
  • Timeline: Space Restaurant to open in 2019 [here]
  • help-wanted ad [here] confirms:
    • space elevator simulator entrance
    • Name: Space 220 (220 miles is height of the International Space Station)
    • 300 seats
  • Cryptic: Entrance to Space Restaurant will be... fabulous. [here]
    • likely a space elevator simulator [here]...
  • Large table service for close to 300 guests, a show, and other surprises [here]
  • A 250 ft curved projection window along the south and southwestern interior wall [here]
  • 16-seater bar, 188 seats upper tier (104 west / 84 east) and 188 seats lower tier [here]
  • could have some good ol' Disney IP showing up somehow [here]

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Every time I read a post about noise coming from Test Track cars will be heard in the Space restaurant I wonder to myself, "have these people never been in a Disney restaurant (other than Victoria and Alberts?)"

In other words, every table restaurant (except for V&A) I have been in is not quiet after the first hour of opening. Once it gets to capacity, it seems the volume of everyone talking goes WAY up.

I don't expect we will be able to hear TT cars going within the walls of the Space restaurant.
Just my two-cents:)

matt9112

with modern tech cant they just insulate the wall very well? cheap no but it seems very doable with modern compounds and materials.

nickys

Premium Member
So to try and summarise things .......

Have one of my patented, accurate but also at the same time deliberately vague iPad sketches:

View attachment 216025

Copyright me.
It should be open in just under two years. It's not a difficult project and will partly reuse the unused second corporate lounge.
If a larger building housing the dinging area and kitchen will be built connected to the rear side of this existing building, this could be the entrance lobby for the restaurant.
It could well be.
Hopefully they'll be expanding it a tad bit, otherwise we'll be getting a Space Bar the size of La Cava. ;)
Oh it'll be a lot bigger. A lot.
Indeed. TSR. It'll be large, but factor in lobby, tiered dining room and tables for just under 300 guests, restrooms, show, one or two surprises and a full back of house operation.

Wanted to insert this quote from @Bocabear:

Jan 23, 2018

What happened to those old Hydrolators? I am sure they are long gone...
It would be dramatic to enter a small holding area as the check in and foyer...keeping the main dining room closed from view....and then get on an elevator and emerge on the middle of the actual restaurant space as opposed to the first floor...so when the doors open there would be a big dramatic reveal and the spectacle of the design would be both above and below you... Like the old Mannequins.

Hydrolators were demoed. Don’t bank on a Mannequins type reveal but there will be a lot of show. Including a style of reveal.
It is. Although almost half will be back of house. I think I’ve posted somewhere the cover count. Remember it will also reuse the existing second corporate lounge as the entrance lobby.

The shape in that image is a good rough idea of the final product.

And now my favourite part ;) :

That other website is also boasting that they have seen the blueprints and know how the building is due to be structured and that they have detail that has not been released by Disney. They also posted a challenge so to speak......"Show me another Disney site that can tell you how many seats are at the bar."

So....

@marni1971 and @MisterPenguin seem to know a lot of inside "stuff" so is there any way you two could research a little more??????
Not that I’m into a p@ssing contest in any way....

Plus 104 seats in upper tier west.
84 in upper tier east.
188 seats in the lower tier.

Also the woman’s bathroom will have four stalls. The mens, one. Not including accessible. Which is one each.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Let's see, it was back on page 18/19 of this thread (Sept 2017) that we started discussing that (and had several positive indicators by insiders that that was what we would see)...
There will be an in excess of 250ft long curved projection "window" along the south and south west interior wall.

I may have missed one or two quotes.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom