South Park does Journey Into Imagination Spoof

The Mak

You know you're a Disney freak when you're trying to make a connection between the Dream Finder and a South Park character that barely resembles him...

picard.jpeg

sittle

You know you're a Disney freak when you're trying to make a connection between the Dream Finder and a South Park character that barely resembles him...

Yeah.... Totally good call... TOTES!!

Were you watching the same episode as everyone else on here??.... I think the resemblances were a little too similar for it not to be Dreamfinder...

ErickainPA

Wikipedia even said this: The man who brings the boys to Imaginationland and his balloon are a parody of the once popular Dreamfinder character from the now closed attraction Journey Into Imagination at EPCOT Center's Journey Into Imagination pavilion, which was open from 1983-1998. Photo borrowed from micechat (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/my_vintage_wdw_pics_epcot-69021.html?t=69021): http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/ngavula/dreamfindermural.jpg Photo borrowed from South Park Studios (http://www.southparkstudios.com/downloads/preview/?id=7475): http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/1110/1110_press_image_1.jpg

Tom Morrow

Wikipedia isn't always reliable, but in this case, whoever wrote that is right.

I don't see how it could hae been any more obvious of a parody unless they actually mentioned Epcot!

hokielutz

Yep... I will say that is definitely a parody of Dreamfinder. The funny clothes, the balloon flying machine and singing "imagination" over and over again fits Dreamfinder's mo. If Matt and Trey copied part of the imagination song note for note.... or completely dressed Dreamfinder in the exact clothes, then they would have copyright issues with Disney.

I also don't think this was a homage to Imagination. It starts out looking like it is, but then you bring in so many other cartoon and fantasy characters that it shifts the focus of the episode away from the one character. Only time will tell how much more Disney will go into this creation.

hokielutz

I also saw Johnny Quest in a very brief frame shot. Its right before and after Charlie gets blown-up, you will see a blond boy with a black long sleeve shirt and jeans in the right of the frame.... you will have to play with the pause a bunch to freeze the correct frame.

Here's a continuation of the list Mr_Tom_Morrow started:

Mighty Mouse
Carebears
Optimus Prime
HR Pufnstuf
Count Chocula
Ronald McDonald
Anubis
Pac-Man
Ninja Turtles
Mario (Super Mario Bros)
Monster from "Where The Wild Things Are"
Jack Skellington
Strawberry Shortcake
Mad Hatter
Mr Toad
Orko from He-Man
Flash
Mr. Clean
Humpty Dumpty
Smurfs
Charlie Brown
Raggedy Ann & Andy
Santa
Twinkie The Kid
Little Red Riding Hood
Link (Zelda)
Gizmo the Maguay (Gremlins)
Uncle Remus
Brer Rabbit
Moses
Aquaman
Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro)
Harry (Harry and the Hendersons)
Yoda
Blue Meanie (Yellow Submarine)
Mr. Tumnus (The Chronicles of Narnia)
D!ck Tracy
Franklin the Turtle
Tutter (Bear and the Big Blue House)
Scarecrow (Wirzard of Oz)
Cheetara & Snarf (Thundercats)
Rapunzel
Voltron
Griffon
Roy Rogers
Astro Boy
Katamari
Cinderella
B.O.B. (The Black Hole) *a Figments Friend find*
Draco (Dragonheart)
Wonder Woman
Bulletman
Punchy (Hawaiian Punch)
The Taco that Poops Ice-Cream (South Park "Canceled")
Swordfish (The Water Babies) *a Maryssa find*
Lorax (Dr. Seuss)

You missed the Brown Hornet from Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.

Thiger

all I'm gonna say is that if they had a little doll who sings 'its a small world after all' I'm sure you'd be like 'wow, they spoofed South Park'.

I think they were jabbing at the imagination ride. I found myself laughing pretty hard after about the tenth time he sang 'imagination'

LOL

the part w/ ronald mcdonald picking his arm up (ala saving private ryan) was classic!

AEfx

I still think it was more of a homage to/parody of Dreamfinder than a knock to diss him/Disney.

Oh, I completely agree. I don't think it was negative at all. It's not like he's a member of a "Fruity Little Club" like they did to poor old Chef, LOL.

What's funny is that unlike most TV shows they don't turn in the final print until very close to air date, so maybe someone will send them this thread and they'll spell it out in big letters in one of the next two parts (apparently it's a "trilogy").

Stranger things have happened. ;)

AEfx

bigtotoro

Yes, in the past, they have gone up until 7:00 EST to turn in the episode that is supposed to air at 10:00 EST that same night. However, I'm thinking they don't frequent the message board and could not care less what we think. I also think it's fairly unlikely this character survives.

ndiniz

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I hope they show this 2 (or is it 3) episode south park thing about imagination again! Singing "ImAAAAAgination" over & Over again is silly! If Data from star trek sang it, he'd be in a loop forever!

lilclerk

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I hope they show this 2 (or is it 3) episode south park thing about imagination again! Singing "ImAAAAAgination" over & Over again is silly! If Data from star trek sang it, he'd be in a loop forever!

GARFIELD! :sohappy:

The episode's been repeated a bunch of times over the past week. You can also see clips or the full episode online.
I agree, it was awesome.

AEfx

Yes, in the past, they have gone up until 7:00 EST to turn in the episode that is supposed to air at 10:00 EST that same night. However, I'm thinking they don't frequent the message board and could not care less what we think. I also think it's fairly unlikely this character survives.

LOL well I agree it's unlikely "they" (as in Matt and Trey) would come to this board in particular, on the other hand things do tend to fly around the Internet pretty quickly. You would be amazed how many assistants, interns, etc. that troll the internet for reaction about any program and then provide neat little summaries to their bosses of anything interesting. Since this topic has shown up on every Disney site known to man, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the reaction makes it's way to their office.

AEfx

bigtotoro

True. So what do you think the reaction would be here if they were to kill off Dreamfinder or, worse yet, Figment? Hysterical, would be my guess. I, for one, would have a new avatar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom